What can you tell me about the lightweight 45 Ruger Commander? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-24-2018, 08:10 AM

What can you tell me about the lightweight 45 Ruger Commander?

I have a number of 45s both custom and regular. So looking at some 1911 45s the other day at the gun store I was impressed with the construction of the light weight Ruger commander 45. It seemed like a well built tough pistol. More so than many of the more expensive 1911s. So I plan to get it. I called Ruger and asked about running aluminum case ammo thru it and got the answer, " No problem, I do it with mine all the time." Now any custom maker will tell you do not use aluminum in their 1911s. The Ruger appears strong enough to even handle steel case ammo with an ejector that looks like a two by four; but steel case is not recommended.
I plan on putting a mag well ( Ed Brown on the gun), maybe an action job, and Trijion HD sights since it is a Novak cut on the Ruger and they should fit it.
So what can you tell me about this Ruger that I need to know?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:35 PM

Re: Post#1,
Ruger's owner-manual says steel-cased ammo is fine in an SR1911. There are individuals who don't recommend or won't use steel-cased ammo, as a personal preference, however.

Excerpt from manual,
"The RUGER® SR1911® pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition of the correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases."
Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 AM

You may want to look into a lightweight night watchman CMD model # 6720. Already comes with night sights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 12:00 PM

I have had one since 2015. It is on the bottom below. On top is an all steel SR1911-CMD I bought in Jan. 2013. The grips are aftermarket ones I bought off shopruger.com at the time. In the middle is an all steel Night Watchman CMD I bought in 2014, and on the bottom is a CMD-LW I bought in 2015. All these pistols have been great but I don't shoot a lot of Aluminum cased ammo through these as these days I can buy brass cased ammo cheaper.

I would look at a pistol before I bought it. One example is the Night Watchman Commander. The LGS also had a 5 inch pistol and while the fit and finish on the CMD was very nice the 5 inch was not so good.

Back the the CMD-LW. The early pistols like mine had a grooved front of the frame in the grip area which Ruger later dropped. Even the early CMD-LW Night Watchman pistols had this. Mine also has thin grips so you might feel one before you buy. Not hard to go to regular thickness grips but it would be extra $$.

Back to the CMD-LW. Ruger put a Titanium insert in the ramp area of the frame. Not sure that is needed. Could be Ruger reminding everyone that they know how to work with Titanium.

Not sure where you live but down here in the SW a couple LGSs put some Ruger models on sales from time to time where you can look a few before you buy. This last fall during a "pre hunting" sale at a LGS I picked up a lovely SR1911-10 for $729 and got to look at a couple. I also got a free Ruger T-shirt and some other stuff. I told them an extra mag or two would have been nicer. That pistol is below under a SR1911 I bought back in the fall of 2012 on a sale at the same store for $599.

Bottom line is I have been very happy with all the Rugers I have bought over the years but still suggest you look before you buy if you can.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:52 PM

I have that exact pistol Herbert is asking about, Model 6711, purchased 2 months ago. The grips are thin, and I cracked one right after I got it, apparently over tightening the grip screws. Ruger replaced them. I use #60 o-rings on the screws and finger tight them. No other problems. The gun shoots well out of the box. It is quite accurate. I was surprised at how light the perceived recoil is even with factory 230 grain ammo. I'd definitely buy it again.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:26 PM

Just bought the OD green one. May be sending it back to ruger though. Slide to frame fit on mine is the worst I've ever seen before. And it hates my 8rnd wilsons. Does shoot well with factory 7rnd mags though.
Attached Thumbnails
20190224_200636_1551651959347.jpg  
Old 03-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Ruger - CMd

I have found my two-tone to be more accurate than I can hold. Using only lead handloads, I am quite satisfied with it. Out of curiosity, I set it up in a Ransom Rest. It shot a 6” group from 55 yards. That’s good enough for me.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:35 PM

Arrow LW vs Steel

The question that I have with the LW Commander is how well will it hold up in the long run compared to an all steel frame commander, not that I'm going to shoot 500 rounds a week with it, but it will be used a decent amount.

The other thing that I thought about is the recoil and controllability difference between the two of them.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:41 PM

What can I tell you about it ??? Get one.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:10 AM

I wish I hadn’t got rid of mine... it was a great gun. But with kids and a wife I had to choose between it or some other new gun. At the time it lost out, but I wouldn’t hesitate to pick another one up.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:02 AM

I own one and mine had a great trigger pull from the factory but was unreliable.
I tried tuning the Extractor and finally replaced it with a Stainless Caspian.
That fixed the problem.
I also think their factory hammer strut is a piece of stamped sheet metal crap.
Replace mine with a Colt factory hammer strut.
Their sights while Novak cut are a differant height. I know Novak makes special sights for the Rugers.