Best shooting equipment for the money? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 04:22 AM

Red dots optics and "cadilacks....?"

I presume you meant "cataracts?" If a shooter has cataracts, the best choice is to have them removed.....they may get bigger and your vision will suffer no matter what type of sights you use.....!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:59 AM

I can't use my 'readers' with a red dot, it looks like a star burst! I found this out when doing a 2 gun shoot, readers worked fine when using the pistol, picked up the AR, "*** is wrong with my red dot?", realized the readers caused it, not sure why. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 11-26-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
I can't use my 'readers' with a red dot, it looks like a star burst! I found this out when doing a 2 gun shoot, readers worked fine when using the pistol, picked up the AR, "*** is wrong with my red dot?", realized the readers caused it, not sure why. Anyone else have this issue?
Yes, that's what I was talking about, if I use near vision lenses corrected for the front sight that's what I see. I have to use far vision lenses with red dots and some scopes that don't have enough diopter correction.

On a side: Yes Rwe, I meant cataracts, I call it fun with words, on October 31'st we even celebrated Oscar de la Renta.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:54 AM

A few years ago I measured the distance from my eye to front sight post and had my optometrist make a lens to focus at that distance, this was installed as a full polycarbonate lens and the other lens my distance prescription. I also made a diopter from a flip up sunglass with a 3/64 opening. I couldn't believe the difference, I could see targets like I was 20 years old again.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:54 PM

I will have to try that 2 lens solution. I told my wife about it and she explained they have been doing that with contacts for years. One set for short distance and the other for distance. Somehow your brain makes the adjustment. I'm starting to get occasional crosshair splitting when viewing through some of my scopes these days as well, which never happened before. Old eyes can be such a pain.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:01 AM

Using red dot optic sights and reading glasses....

Quote:
I can't use my 'readers' with a red dot, it looks like a star burst!
When shooting with iron sights on a 5" 1911 slide, I use reading glasses with 1.75 diopter lenses. When using red dot optics, I switch and use Elvex RX-500 impact resistant glasses in a .75 diopter, and this does not cause any starburst effect with my eyes when shooting in daylight conditions. Using red dot optics may have a very slight starburst or fuzzy dot when shooting at night, but this may require a lower diopter for "night shooting." Since the optical red dot is closer to my eyes than the iron sights, I need a lower diopter change to see the red dot clearly without starbursts even with daytime use..... Elvex RX-500 glasses are about $10 each.

When shooting and switching from iron sights on a pistol to a red dot optic on an AR-15, you may need to adjust the distance of the red dot further from your eyes to be more compatible and prevent the starburst effect. I have also seen AR-15's used for 3-gun that had a variable power one inch tube scope and a red dot mounted to the scope mounts on top of the variable power scope....dual optics...! The red dot on the top used for close up shooting, and the variable power scope for long range targets.....

I also solved the issue of my Elvex glasses "fogging up." I took my Dremel tool with a metal cutting fiber blade, and cut the wrap around plastic that was trapping my body heat around my orbital sockets....I cut off about 3/4" on each side, and this has helped to eliminate the lenses from fogging on hot and muggy days on the range....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 12-25-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I also solved the issue of my Elvex glasses "fogging up." I took my Dremel tool with a metal cutting fiber blade, and cut the wrap around plastic that was trapping my body heat around my orbital sockets....I cut off about 3/4" on each side, and this has helped to eliminate the lenses from fogging on hot and muggy days on the range....
Pretty cool idea.

I solved the problem a little differently, I went to Home Depot and bought some Drawer Bumper Cabinet Door Protectors - I find the smallest ones. I like the the wide flat ones the best. They have pretty effective adhesive. I throw them away after a day of shooting.

If it is extra humid or I am sweating a lot I simply adhere one of the door protectors into the bridge of the glasses. It holds the glasses away from my face just enough to circulate air. I have picked up different sizes (they are very cheap). Bigger ones for worse conditions. I have not been able to tell the difference in visibility as they move the lens from my eye very little from the intended position. It works for me. If you are at a all day match then on me it starts to red mark between the eyes. Me I don’t care. I went to a three day match and my wife asked me “what happened between your eyes”? It was fine a day later.

Last edited by HarryO45; 12-26-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:23 PM

So.....shouting I have old eyes but I'm gonna start blasting at anything that moves in my house isn't acceptable Actually I do much better indoors with a Surefire 300 on my 1911 or a laser but outdoors I can still see the front sight, albeit fuzzy, as is the target. Had laser surgery in 2001, worked great tli about 2015 when my close in vision shot craps...still working on the best solution....maybe brail target

Welcome to Illinois...where weed will be legal....but you still can't get as high as our taxes

Last edited by ECHO154; 10-03-2019 at 07:25 PM.