Stash gun? pistol for long term storage - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 12:19 PM

I'm just trying to understand your scenario. Is the offsite climate controlled storage, too far away to periodically check on the firearm, and perform any maintenance? If not, then why not just check on the firearm periodically? If it is too far away to do that, how is it less inconvenient than just going to a gun store, and picking something up? The money you'd be spending to store it could be used for an emergency gun fund. It just seems like there's details missing, that would help others understand the situation.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:59 PM

I was confused by the title of the thread, in the DP forum. "Stash gun" doesnt bring me a vision of secured climate controlled storage.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoger View Post
I'm just trying to understand your scenario. Is the offsite climate controlled storage, too far away to periodically check on the firearm, and perform any maintenance? If not, then why not just check on the firearm periodically? If it is too far away to do that, how is it less inconvenient than just going to a gun store, and picking something up? The money you'd be spending to store it could be used for an emergency gun fund. It just seems like there's details missing, that would help others understand the situation.
it is close enough to check up on, but that's not always how I'll want to spend my time. Looking to mostly ignore it, but still have it in a pinch. that's pretty much my whole DP/prepper mentality. not the biggest part of my life, but just prep work in the background.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:27 PM

"need it in a pinch". Does that mean "need it within 5min", or does that mean "i have no guns and need to get the one i stashed, that is buried 250mi NW in the yellowstone wilderness"
Old 12-11-2018, 02:27 PM

My brother has stored several long and short guns by first liberally spraying them with WD40, then vacu sealing them.
He periodically checks them. So far, after several years they seem to be doing just fine.
But, we don't have much of a humidity problem out here in CA.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
My brother has stored several long and short guns by first liberally spraying them with WD40, then vacu sealing them.
He periodically checks them. So far, after several years they seem to be doing just fine.
But, we don't have much of a humidity problem out here in CA.
Vacuum packed in what, a plastic bag? Plastics allow air and water to pass through over time. Or is it perhaps a glass case using silicone gaskets.

If i were to do something like that it would be evacuating the air and then filling with argon to get net pressure of zero.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Vacuum packed in what, a plastic bag? Plastics allow air and water to pass through over time. Or is it perhaps a glass case using silicone gaskets.

If i were to do something like that it would be evacuating the air and then filling with argon to get net pressure of zero.
Vacuum sealed using a "Seal a Meal" system. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it seems to be working so far.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Vacuum sealed using a "Seal a Meal" system. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it seems to be working so far.
With a silica dry pack inside that's an ok solution. However, thise are usually spec'd to be stored on dry shelf.

I just had in my mind that "stashing" for DP was like hiding it in wilderness for when the need arises, so i figured burined in ground.

So, perhaps the food bag w/ silica pack(s), then placed into 5gal bucket, lid with gasket (or siliconed) and then buried. 5gal bucket you can stash a few other items too.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:44 PM

If you store your weapons in a fire proof safe, that should do the job. Off site only beckons the call after one forgets where one puts it. Forgotten many stored items over the years. Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Horace and Alexander Suvorov
Old 06-22-2019, 11:14 AM

Back in the 80's I had a friend that was a prepper of sorts. He lived in Tucson, and owned a piece of property in Northern Arizona. He bought several AK-47's when they were $89.95 all day long in gun stores. He also bought several thousand rounds of surplus Com-Block ammunition for them.

He then set about locating caches of AK's and ammo around his 40 acre property. He found some sort of large military surplus ammo cans, in which a certain amount of these under folder AK's, magazines, and ammo would fit. He then coated the outside of the cans in roofing tar, and then let them sit. Once the tar had cooled and solidified, he placed the rifle and accessories in the cans. He had covered the rifles and magazines in a heavy oil, and wrapped them in butcher paper. The ammunition he placed in a plastic container inside the cans with the rifles. He then buried these cans in locations around his property.

He has since retired, and moved full time to his Northern Arizona property. Last year he was building a large shop, so he had to dig up one of the boxes. He said he opened up the box, and the rifle, magazines, and ammo were still serviceable. He cleaned the rifle and magazines, and then proceeded to shoot all the ammo without a single failure to fire.

Not bad for a weapon and ammo that have been buried in the ground for 36 years.