Anchorage Lesson learned - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-30-2018, 07:33 PM

Anchorage Lesson learned

Having gone through the shaker in Anchorage this morning, I came to a realization that Iíve not had before, and wanted to share with everyone. Several electric appliances and electronics hit the floor, and the power went out. Normally, I would have simply picked them up and gone about the rest of the required cleanup, but today I realized ďwhat if thereís internal damage that I canít see, and suppose the power gets restored as Iíve got my meat hooks wrapped around somethingĒ. So, I went and unplugged everything first, and then began cleanup. Just a little something to keep in mind!

Anchorage is kind of a mess, but thankfully, thereís no fatalities from this, and only one serious injury reported so far. My wife, my friends, and myself are all good. Roads and bridges, on the other hand, didnít fare as well. Anchorage only has 2 roads in/out, and both have suffered damage to bridges and overpasses. Gonna be a long recovery!
Old 11-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

Glad to hear you and yours are ok.

Hopefully, yíall can get everything back to normal sooner rather than later.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Proof positive that in an emergency bugging out via the main roads is a complete waste of time. Tonight I sat in traffic for over an hour because of an accident further up the road. If it had been the result of a natural disaster or the North Koreans invading there's absolutely no way in Hell that anyone was going to be able to use these roads to get where they think they'll be safe. Better to hunker down in place and make sure you've got everything you need at home. And don't expect to be able to GET home if you're not already there.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2018, 10:34 PM

Another good tip.

Kill the Main Breaker and all individual breakers.

Then power up after double checking for damage by engaging one circuit breaker at a time.

As for "Bugging Out"?

If we flood, a tornado wipes the house away, or the Anhydrous Tanks or a derailed railroad tank car is leaking dangerous fumes/gas, I'll "Bug Out".

Anything else and I'm staying home.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:41 PM

Thank you Akbowman for starting this thread, and my best wishes to everyone affected. Alaskans are good, solid, strong, independent people; and their resiliency will help fast forward things to a recovery.

No doubt there will be very difficult consequences, perhaps not yet forseen by most, of this natural disaster. I've seen enough photos already to realize that a lot of damage has occurred. Just the damage to roadways alone is rather stunning.

My home county has now (currently) been under a tornado watch for a few hours (not unusual for N. Texas), so I've had to keep one eye on that ... Nature can be brutal...

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 11-30-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:41 PM

Red face

Friends of ours in Houston got stuck for a DAY on I-45 during the Hurricane Ike evacuation in 2008. Thankfully, they had a full tank of gas, and got off the road after 9 hours - having traveled less than 20 miles in that time.

You either gotta be THE first one OUT in a bug-out, or prepared to sit tight for a couple of weeks! You don't wanna be roadkill, easy pickin's, or a refugee!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 PM

^^^

Excellent point.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 12-01-2018, 01:09 AM

It is frightening to ponder what havoc an Anchorage strength quake would create in LA or the Bay Area!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:24 AM

Glad to here from you Akbowman and that you and yours are ok.

Anchorage seems to have structurally and on personal levels come through well ( but I'm not there). Cudos to you guys in Ak.

The Northeast can't handle potholes or a 6 inch snowfall vs a 3 inch never mind a 7 earthquake. Several weeks back it took me 8 hours to get home due to some heavier/earlier / predicted snowfall ...ridiculous!

Thanks for checking in and sharing.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Only experienced one earthquake and it was mild. Just 5 seconds of rumble that felt like a train going by. It was more of a *** is that than anything.

Glad you are all ok.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear you and yours are okay Akbowman. I lived in Eagle River in 1988 to 1989, and realized quickly that it is one of the most visually beautiful places in the world, but also can be the most unforgiving as far as what nature deals out at any given moment. Although I loved living in Ak., circumstances forced me to move back to Texas.

From the looks of the roads and bridges, I'm going to guess that any food and perishables destined for Anchorage area will have to come in by plane or ship until the highway in and out on either side of Anchorage can be sufficiently repaired. Hope everyone got good stocks of canned and frozen stuff from their gardens, hunting, or fishing season this past summer/fall.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes! It is much appreciated. After 24 hours to assess, my wife and I are relatively ok from yesterday, less than a grand’s worth of damage to our property, but many others did not fare so well. Thankfully, no deaths from this. Repairs will take quite some time as far as the roads go, due to frozen ground, snow, etc etc. Bridges and overpasses are a mess. I did make a run to the store yesterday about 90 minutes after the quake, and I was thankful that I didn’t have to bug out, as a mile long drive took me nearly an hour on back roads. The highway was a bumper to bumper gridlock. Anchorage has only 1 highway in and out to the north and to the south, so getting out other than flying or hoofing it through the mountains is out of the question.

We are a resilient bunch, and will make it through!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:17 PM

I have won a buck or two.

From people not yet convinced that the Northernmost, Easternmost, and Westernmost points of the country were all in the same state.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
From people not yet convinced that the Northernmost, Easternmost, and Westernmost points of the country were all in the same state.
Ok, Iím drawing a blank...explain the Easternmost part.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
Ok, Iím drawing a blank...explain the Easternmost part.

LOL, that one catches a lot of people! The Aleutian Islands chain crosses the international date line, so itís actually further east than any other part of the U.S.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:41 PM

Perzactly right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbowman View Post
LOL, that one catches a lot of people! The Aleutian Islands chain crosses the international date line, so itís actually further east than any other part of the U.S.
Most people do not know that. Part of the Aleutian island chain extends into Eastern longitude.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Proof positive that in an emergency bugging out via the main roads is a complete waste of time. Tonight I sat in traffic for over an hour because of an accident further up the road. If it had been the result of a natural disaster or the North Koreans invading there's absolutely no way in Hell that anyone was going to be able to use these roads to get where they think they'll be safe. Better to hunker down in place and make sure you've got everything you need at home. And don't expect to be able to GET home if you're not already there.
+1. The plan for the westsiders to relocate to Grand Coulee Dam is ridiculous. I’ve seen the supplies (about thirty years ago they were there, anyway) but the two lane roads won’t handle the traffic. Just as well, after the idiotic laws the voters in Sno-King-Pierce Counties have forced on the rest of the state no one wants to see them anyway.

BTW, I’m glad you and yours are okay, Akbowman.

Last edited by 21/503; 12-02-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbowman View Post
Count me in, as just having learned something I never knew...
Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 AM

I love this forum. Politics, gunsmithing. reloading, and now geography. We got it all
Old 12-02-2018, 07:35 PM

AKbowman….glad you made it ok. Was a kid in 1964 in Anchorage lived in the Sand Lake area when that quake hit. Remember it like yesterday. Alaskans are a different breed, self sufficient and tough. I think the worst part I remember were the after shocks, seems they went on for a year before things really settled down to normal again. Thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 AM

Glad you are all OK. Earthquakes are tough to predict. Usually there is little to no warning.

Yeah, if a disaster is coming, the odds of evacuating is probably nil. There aren't enough roads or highways for all of the people to use at the same time. Years ago, Houston Tx tried to evacuate in a orderly fashion by zip codes, if I remember right, and everyone tried to leave at the same time, causing the highways to turn into parking lots. Then people's cars started to run out of fuel on the roads making it even worse. Then the hurricane rolled in. Thus you have to leave early before everyone else panics in situations like this. Or after the panic is over, but the roads are likely to still be clogged though.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 PM
Administrator

In the news this morning was an article about how they managed to get all of the main arterials repaired well enough to allow traffic to flow through. They'll do more permanent repairs next summer. The author of the news article was acting as if he/her mind was blown that they could've gotten these roads repaired so fast. The answer ain't too hard, really. It's a conservative state. Had it been a liberal state they'd still be arguing about it and they'd be trying to fleece the public for the revenue needed to do it. Then it'd take ten years , go 300% over budget, and gas and car tab taxes would double to help pay for it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:23 AM

My brother was in Anchorage when the quake happened. He said the locals went about business as usual.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:09 AM

After the 64 quake lots of development for quakes. Most of the damage was on silt where it liquids during the quake causing ground to shaking blob of goo. This is what caused most of the damage in the 64 and this shaker. The rock bed area not so much as is just shakes on rock bed. This fault split was 18 miles and shook for 1 minute, 64 quake had 500 mile split and shook for 4.5 mins. 14 homes in the Sand Lake area probably will need to be pushed over. A few in chicken creek. Schools took the worse hit, several will be closed all year and into next year with 3 possible bull dozed and rebuild. And to know, 7.0 shaker not that uncommon in Alaska with 6s happen quite frequent. 5 doesn't even get someone to notice. But the 4-5 aftershocks do now as they were happening several times a day.

Within hours Minnesota off ramps were under repair. The Glenn took more time to sort it out with traffic flow. Repaired and in use all last week. Seward rock slides took sometime as rocks kept falling...like any other day.

Of course govt business all closed and many several days into last week. Most private business back to work that day after assessing damage and just about all open on Sat.

No looting or rioting even with Carrs losing all windows and wide open for anyone to walk in.

Anchorage has a traffic problem and this was magnified trying to get to the schools. It took hours to drive a few miles.

We lost most of the wife glass nick knacks, one TV, gray water for 2 days and settling in our floor, back 10 feet it slopes now to the back and our back porch is twisted.
Still had electric with running water, checked for gas and electric shorts, filled up what we could with water, turned on the radio and sat relaxing. We did venture out to see if neighbors need help and to talk the quake. We have back up stoves and plenty of can goods stored. My son has a dozen sheet rock cracks.

Bugging out is a myth in a real crisis as the roads are congested or closed, airports are closed, rail nope so private plane on private strip / lake most reliable but could be shot down depending on the crisis and boat. By foot is walking miles to get where. I guess with the right plan and resources its possible not practical in real life.

Its was proven there is less 3 days of food stored in retail. Staples like bread, milk water meats gone within hours. Our Carrs didn't have milk or water even on Tuesday.
Freddies supply chain better with milk and limited water on Tuesday. Can goods down to few on the shelves, frozen about half gone. Junk food plenty.

Hoards a news teams arrived late Friday into Saturday morning to find nothing. They wanted to sensationalize it but life as normal with road damage being worked. News teams were disappointed that people were not in streets looting or causing havoc no panic. If they would have stayed around all weekend they could have sensationalize the school damage but they went home soon after arriving very disappointed from what I hear from those who dealt with them. Even our worthless mayor said on TV he is letting those who know and can do, do it while he stays out of the way and gathers data to pass long. I give him some credit that he did not prop himself up for future office.