Aloha Lane! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-23-2018, 11:47 PM

Aloha Lane!

I hope our Hawaiian friends are well prepared.

The State recommends two weeks of rations per person for residents.
And there's a whole bunch of tourists staying in one of the most vulnerable areas--Waikiki.
I also heard the flights are cancelled.
The grid is in jeopardy of course.

Plenty to discuss.

What would you do if your vacation was interrupted by a natural disaster?
Old 08-24-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post

What would you do if your vacation was interrupted by a natural disaster?

grab and hold firmly the horns of the dilemma in an attempt to not get stomped by the bull ...

no tellin what I'd do.
It would be wholly contingent on what, if any realistic options were available

if water wasn't flooding into the room, I'd likely hunker down in the hotel rm til the storm passes and water recedes

..L.T.A.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
grab and hold firmly the horns of the dilemma in an attempt to not get stomped by the bull ...

no tellin what I'd do.
It would be wholly contingent on what, if any realistic options were available

if water wasn't flooding into the room, I'd likely hunker down in the hotel rm til the storm passes and water recedes

..L.T.A.
Interesting problems arise hunkering in place in those high rise hotels according to weather underground. A Cat 3 becomes a Cat 4 when you're 25 stories up, plus the elevators & lights would be a no go if the grid is down. Without water pressure, sanitation (toilets) won't flush, flying debris from other high rises might also pay a visit.

I wonder how the tourists in San Juan did sheltering in place? Any lessons to be learned here for tourists?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 AM

I suppose there are pros and cons to staying in a mid-rise or high-rise hotel during a Hurricane.

But if one is a visitor, and a guest at the hotel, I think I'd choose that over some public shelter. For a visitor, there aren't necessarily a lot of options.

Any/most loss of life is likely going to be related to flooding. The mid-rise or high-risk hotel might likely fare well in that regard, and structural strength/integrity is likely built to better standards than most other structures.

Once I was in a mid-rise hotel in Hong Kong during a typhoon. It much much better there than on the streets, shops, and many other places. Fortunately, power stayed on in the hotel, but not necessarily so in many other areas. Many hotel employees remained in the hotel, as a mutually beneficial arrangement. Plentiful food and wine in the hotel's restaurants.

It depends. Pros and cons surely exist, and afterwards, it's easy to say what was best.

If there's a massive, long-term loss of power, things get really bad, and fast, for almost everyone ... other than local "preppers" who really prepared exceptionally well.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 08-24-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:42 PM

Just talked to my brother on Western Maui. He says so far he’s surviving the 1/2 inch of rain and 10 mph wind gusts. He says he has spam, water, a built in inverter in his car and 150’ of extension cord. He’s comfortable with that.

I guess if I was there on vacation I’d help fund the spam, water and gasoline fund and try and enjoy experiencing my first hurricane!
Old 08-24-2018, 10:07 PM

It does seem to have lost quite a bit of steam!
Old 08-25-2018, 04:16 AM

We dodged the bullet. Still have not gotten a drop of rain. My yard is brown and dry but other islands are flooded.

The shooting range will reopen on Sunday!😁
Old 08-25-2018, 08:17 AM

If you are stuck in a hotel you can always wipe out the mini bar

Having been thru a few florida hurricanes I can say it sucks. Hurricane charley took off the side of my house while we were in it.

Moved to Ohio. No hurricanes but that white stuff every winter ain't no picnic either
Old 08-25-2018, 12:42 PM

Still, Lane should be considered a good study in the hows and whats. Hurricanes are rare in Hawaii, but that doesn't lessen the importance of being prepared. Also what can be learned about calamities travelers might experience?

When I was doing a lot of travelling I always took a mini mag light along---would this still be allowed under TSA regs?
I figured if I was caught in a power outage inside a hotel or public transport, a flashlight would give me a better chance of not ending up in some immediate peril.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Still, Lane should be considered a good study in the hows and whats. Hurricanes are rare in Hawaii, but that doesn't lessen the importance of being prepared. Also what can be learned about calamities travelers might experience?

When I was doing a lot of travelling I always took a mini mag light along---would this still be allowed under TSA regs?
I figured if I was caught in a power outage inside a hotel or public transport, a flashlight would give me a better chance of not ending up in some immediate peril.
=====

I just returned from a trip to Maui. The TSA did not care about flashlights. They do ask about lithium batteries though. I typically carry 2 flashlights, both use 14500 LI ON batteries. They are physically like AA batteries but output twice the voltage. I keep one in my pocket and one in my EDC bag. I surrender the items for inspection and they just pass them through because they look like ordinary mini flashlights. It's funny about the lithium batteries. Everybody has a cell phone, laptop or tablet with a lithium battery in it and they all go on the airplane.

The knife ban sucks. I always carry a small folder with me and a gerber multitool in the EDC bag. Since I went on the plane with only a carry-on bag, I could not take any knife with me. In order to take a pocket knife, I would have to pay $25 to check in a piece of luggage.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Same here always a flashlight and at least a multitool. Also had a door stop because you never know who will try to gain access while you are sleeping.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Same here always a flashlight and at least a multitool. Also had a door stop because you never know who will try to gain access while you are sleeping.
Our chief of police lectured school kids about active shooters in a school environment.
She said a rubber door stop is better than armed school staff.

School classroom doors usually open outwards.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:53 PM

Miyagi added, "The wrong button was pushed. I deeply apologize for the trouble and heartbreak we caused today." The false alarm sent Hawaii residents and visitors into a panic, scrambling for any shelter they could find, from storm drains to bathtubs to basements.

[Commentary: I don't think that Hawaii is going to prosper through any emergency, they pooed their shorts during a false alarm in January 2018. Someone sent an alert of Incoming Missles!]

Then the governor had to go out and publicly console the darlings with this: "I'm sorry for that pain and confusion that anyone might have experienced. I, too, am very angry and disappointed that this happened."

[Commentary: He should have brought along a truckload of home baked cookies, while he made public appearances, assuaging the shell shocked cowards. "Trouble", OK, there was trouble, but "heartbreak"? That is nuts.]

Last edited by MisterMills357; 08-29-2018 at 01:00 PM.