New rear sight for SR1911 Target models - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-01-2019, 09:31 AM

New rear sight for SR1911 Target models

I've had a number of contacts asking me to make a fixed rear sight to replace the adjustable rear sight on their SR1911. It's not a BoMar cut, so I had to start fresh. I now have it in the flesh, waiting on packaging materials and the night sight versions to come back from Trijicon. Here are a couple of CAD drawings until I can get around to snapping some pics.

I'd like to take some good pics of the sight installed and I don't really want to buy a SR1911 to accomplish that, so I have an offer to make to you denizens of the Ruger sub-forum.

I will install a set of my HD-009 sights, front and rear in the configuration of your preference (either night sights, plain black or plain black rear with a fiber optic front) if you will ship me your pistol. You need to be willing to be with out your pistol for 2-4 weeks, depending on which sights you want.

I will only do this for one person and the guy or gal that is closest to me is the one I will do this with, so we can minimize shipping costs. Someone in metro Atlanta would be preferable.

Email me at [email protected] with "SR1911 Sights" in the subject line and be sure to give your city/state. Whoever turns out to be closest by the time I get the night sights back from Trijicon will be the winner.

Last edited by John Harrison; 10-01-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:06 AM

What is the height from the bottom of the rear most part of the sight to the top?

I’m one of the guys who asked for this, just curious if it will require a different height front sight from the night sight that’s on my gun now.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
What is the height from the bottom of the rear most part of the sight to the top?

Iím one of the guys who asked for this, just curious if it will require a different height front sight from the night sight thatís on my gun now.
The rear of the sight is a nominal .444" tall and is designed to leave .001"-.002" clearance to the pocket floor. After you've measured yours, please let me know what you came up with. With any application where a manufacturer used an adjustable rear sight; they don't have to worry about an optimum height on the front sight, just something within the rear sights adjustment range. So you never know whether the factory front sight will work in all situations, especially a pistol made in 9mm, 10mm and .45 ACP; three decidedly different trajectories.

Initial testing was done with a .45 and the report I got back was that the factory front sight gave "minute of soup can" accuracy at 20 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 03:51 PM

Iím not able to get to my Sr1911 10mm till Tuesday. Iíll measure it and get back then.