1911Forum banner

What's your favorite mod for your Springfield?

9K views 48 replies 42 participants last post by  45acpskng 
#1 ·
I don't know why I waited so long, but the WC extended magazine release. I now can release the magazine without adjusting my grip.. 2 minute install and well worth the money paid. I don't carry so it all works for me :) What's yours?

See less See more
#31 ·
Just not a fan of extended slide stops . The standard one works fine for me .
It probably has to do with hand size and finger length . I'am not a fan of big
magazine releases ether .

#33 ·
Favorite SA mods? In descending order;
TRP: Log man notch on the slide stop, trigger job, smooth the crunchy mag release
XDM: Streamlight laser, Powder River Precision trigger kit
Pro: New Novak sights (coming), stone ends of the sear spring to eliminate that little 'something' in the trigger pull

#34 ·
I realize this thread is found on sharing ideas. Also, So much of this is contingent on the model and intended use. My first post is early in this thread, starting with a different model and vision. I recently purchased a low round count stainless Loaded 9mm. The first thing to do was fix the bugs and misfitting. Now I am somewhere between improving/refining and refinishing. It all depends on where we start and where we want to go. Its all good.

#38 ·
Have MC Operator which came with wrap-around Pachmayr grips which I never liked. Replace with VZ Operator II. Also the slide stop was very difficult to re-insert when re-assembling - had to use a credit card to hold plunger down. Replaced with standard size 10-8 Performance slide stop and now reassembly is easy.

#41 ·
Range Officer: Gold bead front sight, VZ Alien grips, and a strip of skate board tape on the front strap.

TRP: Installed a Wilson GI style guide rod, spring & plug before first range trip. Recently changed out VZ Operator grips for Harrison carry grooves. Night sights are getting dim, so I need to decide what to replace them with soon.

#42 ·
MC Operator bought used $700. Removed full length 1 piece guide rod and shock buff, installed GI rod, plug and Wolff recoil spring, replaced firing pin spring same time. Removed ambi safety (they always make me nervous while carrying strong side right hand) always am nervous I will bump the ambi and knock the safety off. Installed/fitted WC single sided thumb safety.
Stoned in secondary angle on the sear, stoned/polished sear spring tips.

Now, I did run into a slight problem. With the beautiful slide to frame fit which is good and snug; I had an issue after shooting 50 rounds that the slide was very difficult to run forward by hand from slide lock when I was disassembling to clean.

It was found that the ejector nose had mushroomed a bit.
I stoned the side walls of the ejector to flatten the mushrooming of the nose and the slide moved slick as butter once again.

Next time out, same thing, stoned sides of ejector and the slide did not stick anymore.

So, now I'm thinking the ejector must be soft and may need replacement.
Any thoughts are anyone run into this same situation?

#43 ·
The end may very well work harden from the repeated impacts. Try it for awhile.

#44 ·
I have 2 Loaded's(stainless, parked) and a TRP. Only mod on all of them was to replace the FLGR with a G.I. set up.

Currently the Loaded's reside in the safe and have ever since I got the TRP. It has become my duty/off-duty/EDC/go to every time I need a gun(and carried in case I need a gun) gun.

#46 · (Edited)
The grips & Mil spec sights on my GI Hi cap model.

The front strap checkering & total gutting and replacing all internal parts with Wilson Combat and old school “Commander hammer on my old SS Champion.

#48 ·
Since I had 2 knuckles replaced in my shooting hand, my trigger finger always rests on the bottom of the trigger. Cannot move it up to shoot with the pad of my finger.

Therefore, I replace all of my triggers, if possible, with flat triggers, that way it doesn't matter where my finger rests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.