1911Forum banner

Ordering a Colt Gunsite Pistol

19K views 87 replies 24 participants last post by  Onegoodshot 
#1 · (Edited)
That's it, tired of waiting for a Colt Defender! And my new Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle needs a suitable companion. I've sold my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special (gasp!) and am using the cash to buy a stainless Colt Gunsite Government Model.

I am calling Gunsite tomorrow. Hopefully they will do some minor alterations to the pistol before they send it. I'm going to see if they will change out the slim grip bushings for regular, put a long trigger and an arched mainspring housing on it. I'll pay the up-charge of course. I'm just wondering if they will do that. It's hard to find a gunsmith in my area. Anyone know if they will do this?

So I'm looking forward to giving them a call tomorrow. I hope they are still on sale!

#71 ·
Zenner22, check your recoil spring weight. Mine came with a god awful weak spring. Our Gunsites pistols were spec'd with 18# springs. The standard Gov't spring is 16#. Not sure how or why mine came with the spring. I got my pistol while at Gunsite. I fired it for function, but shot the course (250) with my Les Baer TRS. I realized the weak spring when I got the pistol a few weeks later. Also my mag release catch had a burr, which Corey addressed. I wound up putting a lighter spring in there, as the problem remained intermittent. The gun itself has been very reliable.

#72 · (Edited)
The barrel appears to be the standard one with the dimple. I have no problem with that, it's a good barrel. This one is also a National Match barrel, I'm thinking the same one they put in the Gold Cup since it appears to have the narrow hood. Perhaps some others with this pistol could comment on that.

Recoil spring is the 18lb one. It is definitely heavier than the one in my Lightweight Government, which must be the 16lb spring.

Stringfellow, that is very cool to have had the opportunity to get an autographed picture of the Colonel. Very nice!

#74 ·
stringfellow, although there were some issues that made my purchase a bit complicated, I am extremely happy with the pistol and I definitely recommend it. If you are deciding between the rail gun and the Gunsite, get the Gunsite. You need a pistol with the raven on it to go with your signed picture of Mr. Cooper!

#75 ·
Hi Zenner. I was at the dealer today and he was nice enough to let me handle the rail gun for about an hour while he attended to other customers. I told him to hold it until Tuesday which is my next day off and i'll make a decision. I have an eye for detail and the gun wasn't perfect but was nice. I love to get the gunsite, it would have good company with my 93 GSP. Cost is a factor. I have some time to think about it. Oh! Decisions Decisions. I'll let you know what happens. Thx.

#77 ·
Hi Zenner. Thanks for the kind words. Took a day off today. Ended up at the dealer. Looked at the Rail again. My dealer is a great guy. Never rushes me and always courteous. I got it, cleaned it and shot 100 rounds and kept it all within the size of a softball at 25 ft. I was smiling from ear to ear! In time I want to change out the ambi safety to a single and replace the composite main spring housing to a metal one. It's not a Gunsite but I think 2nd place isn't bad. :) Regards.

#78 ·
string, you got a great pistol! I agree with you about the ambi safeties, I hate them. As soon as I could, that was the first thing I got rid of on my Colt Lightweight Government. I'm not picky about thumb safety brands, but my smith put on a Wilson extended and it looks and works good. I like an arched mainspring housing but since it was for a Lightweight Government I had a composite one put on in the interest of saving weight.

You need to start a thread with some pics! Sounds like you had a good day with the new Rail Gun.

#83 ·
Hi Zenner. I recently saw a picture of a smith commander bobtail SC E series with the gunsite raven on the internet but can't find any info on it. It looks great. Have you heard anything about it? Also spoke to my dealer about the gunsite 1911PD. He says he haven't seen one in about 4 years. If i can find the gunsite smith e series, i would be very happy. And thanks for the info from our last correspondence.

#84 ·
I tracked down some of those pictures of the S&W E Series 1911s with the Gunsite logo on the slide. I believe Gunsite put their logo on those S&Ws because S&W was having a media day at Gunsite to introduce their new 1911s. I can't find any evidence that the S&W E Series Gunsite pistol is being sold to the public. I think this was done just for the event. Like when Colt did a media event at Gunsite for their Rail Gun. The guns Colt brought that day had the raven on the slide to commemorate the event but there was never an official Colt Gunsite Rail Gun.

Not that it might not happen in the future, who knows it may be in their plans? It just doesn't seem to be happening now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.