1911Forum banner

Wolffe X-tra power extractor springs

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  gaspipes 
#1 ·
I was just advised by Dave at Wolffe Gunsprings that they have extra power extractor springs in stock for Kimbers. I immediately ordered two!!!!!

I don't know about anybody else here but I have always felt that inadequate extractor tension was probably part of my FTE problem.
Since it is pretty tough to bend the external version, a stronger spring is required. Or modifying the extractor pivot...geeeez!

I'm tellin ya...I'm gonna get this little beast runnin 100% yet.

Either that or I'm trading it in on some Tactical Tupperware.

#2 ·
WOW!
I really thought the Wolffe x-tra power extractor spring would really generate a lot of interest.

I must just be behind eveyone else inlearning about these springs.

I am anxious to try mine out along with the new RC spring.
I am expecting a big difference in extraction, like.... no more failures.

#3 ·
"You can't polish a turd" comes to mind here.

If this was the fix to so many FTE issue's, Kimber would have already tried this.
It's something deeper within the design.

Like the pivot point you mentioned, that's something they can't just "bolt on" to fix, so it's something like that.

#4 ·
MillerSHO said:
"You can't polish a turd" comes to mind here.

If this was the fix to so many FTE issue's, Kimber would have already tried this.
It's something deeper within the design.

Like the pivot point you mentioned, that's something they can't just "bolt on" to fix, so it's something like that.
Good point!
Never the less I am remaining hopeful!

#7 ·
One of the first things I noticed with the external extractor was how easily it moves. A stiffer spring was what came to mind when we had problems and 2 new replacement extractors from Kimber didnt fix it.
My S&W 1911sc ext extractor is extremely stiff, and it works.

#8 · (Edited)
I recently called Kimber for a replacement external extractor, hoping that one of their new ones would cure my Tactical Ultra II's reliability problems. The Custom Shop was very polite and sent me a new extractor right away. Anyhow, while on the phone with them I asked about the amount of tension that should be felt when pushing the extractor by hand (as mine moves with fairly little pressure). They told me that the amount of tension my extractor had was appropriate and that it's not supposed to be very stiff, like that of a Glock.
Just relaying what they said when I asked about it. I'd personally have know way of knowing whether a stiffer spring would help. It might be worth a try.
I still have to test the new extractor they sent me. I really like the pistol, hope I can get it running 100%.

#10 ·
If my next trip to the range results in one more FTE, for only 3.49 + S/H it would be worth ordering their new extractor spring.
While on the topic of Wollf and Kimbers, anyone have experience with the Wolff 21 pound recoil spring for Ultra size Kimbers?

#11 ·
I have an Ultra CDP II and am waiting for Kimber to send me my new extractor. I purchased the 18# and 21# springs from Wolff and decided to try out the 21 pounder. I installed it on the guide rod with no problems, however, I havent shot it yet (I want to wait for the extractor because if I have an other FTE I am going to flip out!!).. :biglaugh:

Chad
Kimber Custom TLE/RL II
Kimber Ultra CDP II

#12 ·
Thanks Chad. Let us know how your next trip to the range turns out with the 21lb spring and your soon-to-be new extractor.
I just received a new external extractor from the Custom Shop a couple weeks ago (my first new extractor). It is designed a bit differently than the original one, so hopefully it will perform better.
I thought the 21 pound recoil spring might be a good idea for my Tactical Ultra II because even though I've had the feed ramp polished, twice, the slide sometimes doesn't shut all the way, with the cartridge stuck on the feed ramp, like it needs a couple extra pounds of spring tension to help shut it all the way home.
The new extractor went in easily and looks good. So I've got my fingers crossed.

#13 ·
My 2 year old Tactical Pro II with external extractor is closing in on 10,000 round mark and has run absolutly trouble free since the day I bought it. The extractor's spring tension has always been extremly stiff and is almost impossible to move using only finger pressure. While in no way can extractor spring tension be the sole cause of all the reliablility issues I have read about on this forum over the past couple of years, I do hope that the X-tra power Wolffe spring will solve some of the problems people keep having.

#17 ·
coyote_dr said:
Missouri Mule, did you ever get your Kimber running? Could you tell if the Wolff XP external extractor spring helped? Ron
Yes and yes!

I began by installing the Wolff 4" XP rc spring.
That helped a lot by itself but I was till getting ocassional Extracting falures.

Then I installed their XP extractor spring too.

Wah Lah! "0" failures to extract in well over 1000 rounds now.

I did not try the extractor spring with the stock Kimber RC spring.
I really didn't see the point in that.

#18 ·
Missouri Mule, Thanks for the info. It sounds like we have twin pistols. I received the new extractor from Dennis and put it in. I also put in the new XP RC spring. I am down to the occasional fte so i think I will also try the XP extractor spring. thanks again Ron

#19 ·
coyote_dr said:
Missouri Mule, Thanks for the info. It sounds like we have twin pistols. I received the new extractor from Dennis and put it in. I also put in the new XP RC spring. I am down to the occasional fte so i think I will also try the XP extractor spring. thanks again Ron
You guys need to send the guns back and tell them you want an internal extractor. Down to on occasional FTE??? You shouldn't have any FTE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.