Sig P938 questions - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Sig P938 questions

I test fired a P938 SAS and liked it, but when I went to look at all the models, I decided on the P938 Legion, ordered a 1000 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 124 gr FMJ, field stripped it, cleaned and lubed it, and went to the range two days this last week. 500 rounds down range in two days. Not one hiccup. I like it even more now. This gun will be used as a EDC during summer months when harder to conceal, and as a back up if deemed necessary.

I was shooting 10" black bullseye targets at 25 yards. Sites need adjusting to shoot this distance. They were about 7" high and 2" left. I repeatedly placed 50 rounds in the black with each box of ammo by aiming 2" to the right of 6 o'clock.

Question: What should the maximum effective range be of this 3" barrelled marvel? I feel if I can put 50 rounds in a ~8" group (if you call 8" a group), that's pretty effective at this distance.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:21 PM
1911 Aficionado

I've been shooting mine in IDPA competition for 2+ years, and have some really good results at 30-35 yards, and have also missed at ten yards.
I think the gun is extremely accurate, but the short side radius means you have to really be on your game to get good hits.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns90 View Post
I test fired a P938 SAS and liked it, but when I went to look at all the models, I decided on the P938 Legion, ordered a 1000 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 124 gr FMJ, field stripped it, cleaned and lubed it, and went to the range two days this last week. 500 rounds down range in two days. Not one hiccup. I like it even more now. This gun will be used as a EDC during summer months when harder to conceal, and as a back up if deemed necessary.

I was shooting 10" black bullseye targets at 25 yards. Sites need adjusting to shoot this distance. They were about 7" high and 2" left. I repeatedly placed 50 rounds in the black with each box of ammo by aiming 2" to the right of 6 o'clock.

Question: What should the maximum effective range be of this 3" barrelled marvel? I feel if I can put 50 rounds in a ~8" group (if you call 8" a group), that's pretty effective at this distance.
In your case, 100 yards.

But of course it depends on the shooter. The average shooter I see at the range would have to have the perp at 21 feet or less, IMO. I've shot the 938 and also found it to be quite accurate, even out to the 25-yard limit at my range.
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 03:57 PM

Thanks guys. Like I said before, I only had the 25 yard range to shoot at so I have no idea just how accurate this is at 7 yards (which I agree is the reasonably farthest distance to be engaged in). I'm sure I'll get some more range time at a proper distance soon to verify. I do like those x-ray sites though. Once I get my Dan Wesson broken in to carry, I'll probably send this Sig out have it sited in a little better at 25 yards, you know, for GP.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:16 PM
1911 Aficionado

Mine shot wide-right out of the box, but being a lefty, I blamed poor trigger control and soldiered on.
After missing completely off the paper at 30 yards, 1000 rounds in, I whacked the sight over "some" with a plastic mallet, and it's now dead-on for windage.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 PM

I was telling a guy about mine at a gun shop when he took me in the shop area, used something that looked like a four-sided c-clamp, and moved the front site left about 5mm. Took it to the range and windage is dead on. I'm really happy. If he hadn't done that, I would have probably sent it back to Sig for the work. Sorry Rick, but I'm not up to whacking my pistols.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:17 PM

My Nightmare version came from the factory with the sights spot on. The 938 is a great little pistol.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:10 AM

Picking up my Sig P938 Legion tomorrow! Looking forward to it. I have the Sig P938 SAS but my wife likes it a lot hence the Legion! I am sure many of you know how that goes . . . .

My SAS is a great gun and has many of the same features as the Legion but I am still looking forward to the upgrades. I am thinking of sending it to Sig Armory after I get a few hundred rounds through it for slicking up unless somebody else has a better idea.

Last edited by cruise; 01-08-2020 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 AM

I think the 938 is one of the most under utilized, under spoken guns on the planet. Great for a lot of things and too bad more people don’t consider it as DC.

I think cost is a hurdle in a day and age of cheap plastics
Old 01-08-2020, 06:24 PM

I have three of them for stash guns, they have been 100% reliable and accurate. I just can't get over how bad the triggers are though. Said I'd never buy another Mustang clone, but then, I did, a Springfield 911, couldn't believe how nice the trigger was, and the feel and the sights.
Hope they fixed that trigger on the Legion, but I still don't want another no matter how much lipstick they put on it.
Attached Thumbnails
938sm.jpg  
Old 01-10-2020, 09:09 AM

Love my p938, it’s my EDC piece and I have the Sig trigger guard laser on it which I have sighted at 30ft but quite frankly shoots just as well out to 50ft. The trigger on mine was a bit gritty initially but after more than1000 rds and a complete tear down, stoning and cleaning it’s not bad. I shoot my reloads using Berry’s 124g flat nosed bullets in it as well as for self defense rounds, great gun, and incredibly accurate for it’s size.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:12 PM

When I get a new (to me) gun I shoot it a few times from a bench rest/sandbag to see how the sight are. IIRC my wife's P938(Rosewood, shortly after they came out) shot a little to the right. My P938 (Stand, a year or 2 old) didn't need adjusting. Hers has #8 sights, front and rear. Mine has a #6 on the front and #8 on the rear. From a rest, at 20 yards hers groups slightly high. Mine groups slightly low at that distance. At 20 yards from a rest I get 2" to 3" groups. They'll overlap, with the low shots from hers being in pretty much the same place as the high shots from mine. (not from the rest) Both my wife and myself have no problem staying on an 8 inch plate at 20 yards if we pay attention to our fundamentals. If I haven't shot the little fellow in a while I tend to grab way to much trigger and pull to the left a little. Here's a pic of my Stand model.
Attached Thumbnails
P938 Stand.jpg  
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:17 PM

I really like my P938. Great for carry. not a lot of fun as a range gun though.