1911Forum banner

Gun/ money belts.

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  RetiredRod 
#1 ·
Quite some time ago, there was some discussion here about a gunbelt that also served as a money belt to discreetly carry emergency currency or coin. I spoke to several lether craftsmen before I found one willing to tackle sucj a project. I wound up with 3 of them, that all saw fairly heavy use during my sabbatical.
The first was a bit on the thick side, and the brass zipper over engineered for the task. The next 2 were slightly thiner, and used a lighter duty zipper. All could carry 24 US banknotes with easy, as well ans several 1/2 and 1/10 oz gold Maple Leaf coins.
A great way to carry a contingency stash discreetly and securely when traveling in some unsavory places. When going through security points at airports, I'd remove the belt and toss it in my carry on- it never recieved any attention.
I'm not sure if there's still any interest here, but If I can recall how to attach images, Ill post a few.

#2 ·
Some pics as promised...
The lighter tan one with the brass zipper is the first prototype, tbe oxblood and black are second run, with lighter zipppers. The pockets on the second batch is slightly tighter than on the prototype, but still functional. You can see that the first one made is slightly thicker than the second 2....

Attachments

#3 ·
Banana republic used to sell a pretty good money belt.

I had one for years. Not sure what happened to it.

#4 ·
I had one for years. Not sure what happened to it.
I had something similar many years ago...but it wasn't robust enough to hang a pistol off of.... I think I've finally found a good combination, a belt with both capabilities built into it.

#5 ·
That's extremely interesting, that's not something I really thought about. Does your maker have the ability to take requests from people out of his local area?

#6 ·
He does- he's actually 1000 miles from me. He's comfortable with the process now, and willing to accept addition orders. PM me if its something you're interested in, and I'll forward his contact information.
When working and traveling in some less than prime locations, its nice to be able to have a stash of currency and coin tucked away for emergencies. Load it up- it takes a bit of effort, and forget about it until you need it.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Strong enough to carry a gun as well. With an option for cartridge loops if required. They make some pretty nice stuff.

https://epsaddlery.com/product/1-moneybelt/
A nice option for a duty/field belt....worth looking into.
Perhaps I should clarify, the belts I had made are 1.5", everyday use, normal trouser gun belts. Something that can be worn with jeans, chinos, or even a suit and not stand out as abnormal.

#11 · (Edited)
Thats my primary use, but I also like them for daily use- its nice to know that I have a few hundred $s (up to several thousand if loaded with gold coin) tuckered away in case its needed. In world of electronic money, we forget that sometimes technology fails, and cash doesn't need electricity.
The concept developed from a discussion here several years ago about SHTF assets and resources, and potentially being seperated from them at the onset of an event... particularly cash and coin.

Now that Rick has outed himself as the craftsman (I don't publish other people's info without their express consent), if one is interested and can't reach him, I have alternative contact information....

#13 ·
I hace two 1.5 inch money belts that I purchased from a leather goods manufacturer on the internet. I wear one of them every day. Yes, they're good for supporting a holster & full-size pistol.

#14 ·
I have been making a few money belts. Mine are heavy duty and hand made. I bought a few dress money belts, and found them wanting. I choose to use the biggest zippers for strength. So I made my own. Here are a few I have made.

Thank you,

Henry

Attachments

#15 ·
The first was a bit on the thick side, and the brass zipper over engineered for the task. The next 2 were slightly thiner, and used a lighter duty zipper.

A great way to carry a contingency stash discreetly and securely when traveling in some unsavory places. When going through security points at airports, I'd remove the belt and toss it in my carry on- it never recieved any attention.
Two questions..
1) does the zipper dig into you? I tend to wear my belt tight to pull a holster in closer to the body.
2) did the coins in the belt show up on x-ray when the carry on was scanned?

#16 ·
I don't noticed the zipper, it seems to be a non issue.

I put the belt in the carry on its vertical axis- as worn. I can't comment accurately on whether the coins showed up, but I was never questioned. I'm I'm assuming the cross section of the coins , along with the clutter of other crap, was small enormously not to draw attention.

#19 ·
Gold coin, in many parts of the world, is far better than currency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.