My new Baby Rock - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 03:37 PM

My new Baby Rock

Picked up a Baby Rock a week ago, just because. One LGS stocks 'em and they sell well, he says. Got it home, thoroughly cleaned/lubed it, then went to the range the next day to start breaking it in and check accuracy.

The Bad:
1. Put 100 rounds downrange, using Win FMJ 95gr flatnose (FN). The mag does not like this ammo. It was hard to load even with a Baby Uplula. Regular roundnose loaded much better. Everything did cycle properly, though. Only two FTFeeds, one in the first and one in the second mag through the gun. This was with the FN.
2. This gun beat me up terribly! Drew blood at the base of my shooting-hand thumb, from sharpness on the edge of the beavertail. Took care of that with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Also, being direct blowback with no barrel link, the trigger was beating up my trigger finger. Had to switch to too much finger (i.e. the joint) to finish shooting. Finger was sore for a couple of days.

The Good:
1. Reasonably accurate, and may get better. Shot 2" - 3" groups (5 shots) @ 30 feet, with a variety of brands, both ball and SD. Shoots about 1" high per 10 feet of distance. I painted the front sight white, and try to shoot to POA by lowering the front sight until I can just see a little white.
2. Coolness factor. Everyone at the range thought it was so cute!

Decided to keep it, now that I have figured out to just use more finger and attempt to compensate by either a slow pull and/or aiming just a hair off.

Pics below. Bought it some presents, using Amazon.
a. The Springfield pocket holster fits the BR better than the 911 it came with!
b. The kydex holster is adjustable for cant, but not tension on the gun. If you put it all the way in, so that the trigger guard locks into place, it takes an act of Congress to get it back out again. The hot setup is to push it in until you meet resistance, then push it only about 1/4" further. I may try to add a rubber spacer or something.
c. The G10 grips are actually a nice black/tan/green combination called Mil Spec Camo. The stock rubber grips were nicely grippy, but too boring.
d. I also added some skateboard tape to the frontstrap.
Attached Thumbnails
BR pocket holster.JPG   BR kydex G10.JPG  

Last edited by TominMO; 06-27-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:55 AM

Modded the kydex holster to work better. Easy, free (stuff I had laying around) and took a minute or so.

Drilled a hole through both sides. Inserted a small nylon faucet washer, about 1/8" thick. Zip-tied it in place. Cut off zip-tie with nail clippers (more flush than scissors), then sanded the cut edge to make it smooth.

Holster now holds the gun deeply and firmly, but pulls out well enough.
Attached Thumbnails
BR holster mod 1.JPG   BR holster mod 2.JPG  

Last edited by TominMO; 06-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:15 PM

Below pic: Hornady American Gunner at 30 feet. POA is bottom of the black stick-on dot, i.e. 3" low.

At 75 feet, seven shots gave two groups of three, and one low flyer.
The low-group center is 12" above POA, with a group size of 3 5/8". (Adding the low flyer makes this a 4 1/2" four-shot group.)
The high group's center was 19"(!) above POA, with a size of 1 7/8". Two distinct groups like this are no doubt due to my vertical-sight-alignment inconsistency.

Interestingly, even though I am using way too much finger to keep the gun from beating me up, the left-to-right spread of six shots was only 1 1/4". (Top-to-bottom of all seven shots was 9 1/4"!) So a slow, controlled squeeze will compensate for too much finger pulling the muzzle sideways.

I have shot HAG in my Springfield 911 and not been too impressed. Hornady Critical Defense did better; so I will try to find some in .380 and see what it does at 30 and 75.
Attached Thumbnails
HAG 30ft.JPG  

Last edited by TominMO; 06-30-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 07:15 PM

So, $160 later.....

.....gonna try this stuff out in my BR, 911, and Bersa Thunder 380 Plus--bought the same day as the BR.

Off to the range tomorrow!

Edit: shoulda turned the Sig box to show that it is the 90gr V-Crown JHP.
Attached Thumbnails
380 HP ammo.JPG  

Last edited by TominMO; 06-30-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 PM

Okay, back from work and have results from shooting the BR and my Springfield 911 at 30 feet with some good HP ammo. One 7-shot group shot of each ammo. I measured the closest 5 shots, to allow for flyers/operator error. The BR was freshly cleaned last night, and today I started with 7 rounds of Aguila 95gr FMJ ball through it, just to foul the barrel. The 911 was not freshly cleaned.

Baby Rock...Spr. 911......Ammo
2 1/2"............1 7/8"..........Sig Sauer 90gr V-Crown JHP
1 1/2"............2 1/8"..........Winchester 95gr SXZ JHP (4 shots, 13/16" in the 911)
1 7/8"............1 1/4"..........Remington 88gr HTP
2 1/4"............1 3/4"..........Hornady 90gr XTP Custom (4 shots, 1.0" in the 911)
2 1/4"............1 1/2"..........Hornady 90gr FTX Critical Defense
2.08".............1.70"...........Average

I also noticed a couple of other things.

A. Every ammo I have shot that was 95 or 94 grain has been a PITA to load into the magazine, including today's Winchester. (I use a Baby Uplula.) But all four of the 90 and 88gr ammo I tried today loaded fine! So this mag is very ammo-sensitive.
B. Towards the end of the test, twice (i.e. two different ammos) the slide locked to the rear while there were still rounds in the mag! It was either with the two Hornadys, or the Remington and the Hornady Custom. I freed the slide with the slide release, which had come up. It has never done this before, with 300 - 400 rounds through it by now. Will investigate further.
C. Often the slide will not lock back when the mag is empty, and I will find that the mag has detached just slightly from locked in. I shoot lefty, and no part of my hold is pushing on the mag release. This always happens after the last round in the mag is shot.
D. All ammos cycled through the gun properly, except for the two instances in B. above. But a couple of times when pulling the slide back and releasing it, to load the first round from the mag into the chamber, I had to do it twice.

So I am wondering if I have slide-lock issues, mag issues, or both. The mag is SS and apparently made in-house by Armscor.

If I find that the Remington does not give me the slide-lock issue, that will be my carry ammo. I have always found HTP in any caliber to be reliable and accurate.

One other thing to note: when I initially tore it down for cleaning, I also pulled the firing pin. It had the usual Armscor rust preventative on it too. But I noticed how hard it was to get back into its channel. Looked in there with a flashlight, and discovered that the extractor spring was slightly poking through! So the extractor spring hole was bored a little too deeply. I had to pull the extractor to insert the firing pin, then reinstall the extractor. This glaring booboo did not seem to affect performance, however.

Final conclusion after this long-winded post: this gun needs to go back for R&R/replacement. (Will reinstall the stock grips first of course.)

Edit: Zero issues of any kind with the 911. Tomorrow I try these ammos with the Bersa 380 Thunder Plus.

I would appreciate any insights you may have on the issues I have been experiencing.

Last edited by TominMO; 07-01-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:20 PM

Nice report. Too bad it's got to go back though. Mine had to go back because the slide lock was peening the notch in the slide. They replaced the pistol and the new one has the accuracy of a sling-shot. I mic'd the barrel and it measured .358", so it's no wonder. Then, at about the 100 round mark it also started developing the same peening issue. My Baby-Rock was the first RIA pistol I've purchased and definitely my last. Maybe their full size are better, who knows, but I'll never buy another to find out.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC17A View Post
Nice report. Too bad it's got to go back though. Mine had to go back because the slide lock was peening the notch in the slide. They replaced the pistol and the new one has the accuracy of a sling-shot. I mic'd the barrel and it measured .358", so it's no wonder. Then, at about the 100 round mark it also started developing the same peening issue. My Baby-Rock was the first RIA pistol I've purchased and definitely my last. Maybe their full size are better, who knows, but I'll never buy another to find out.
Funny you should mention this, as I have a 5" Pro Match Ultra coming to me this week. Probably picking it up on Wednesday, cleaning that night, shooting it on the 4th. I have shot other people's .45 Rocks before (and I have a nice FS 9mm I bought slightly used).

I did suspect beforehand that the BR might be the wayward stepchild in the family, but heck, I wanted one!

BTW my slide locks back perfectly consistently with an empty mag. And the bore mics at 0.3385". My 911 mics at 0.3380".

Last edited by TominMO; 07-01-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:26 PM

Looking at the various bullet shapes, I am now theorizing that the slide lockback with rounds in the mag is going to turn out to be with the two types of Hornady. The bullet shape is very angled/pointy, more so than any other type of round I have ever tried in this gun, and the slide lock might be fooled into thinking there is no bullet there. I'll see tomorrow. If that is indeed the case and the Remington turns out to not do that, then the Rem is the carry ammo. The Rem has a more rounded bullet profile, and is one of the ammos that loads into the mag easily. I might not send it back at all, in that case. Maybe just the slide, to correct the extractor-spring channel issue.

Last edited by TominMO; 07-02-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
And the bore mics at 0.3385". My 911 mics at 0.3380".
Did you mean 0.3485" and 0.3480"? What's the groove diameter on yours? Mine at .358" is the largest of all my 380s and naturally the least accurate.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC17A View Post
Did you mean 0.3485" and 0.3480"? What's the groove diameter on yours? Mine at .358" is the largest of all my 380s and naturally the least accurate.
Checking again, I'm getting these measurements at the muzzles of my three .380s. Consider them close approximations only, as repeated measuring gives slightly different results.

................................Vertically....Hori zontally
Baby Rock...............0.3450.......0.3480
Spfld. 911................0.3480.......0.3470
Bersa Thunder +.....0.3480.......0.3490
Old 07-02-2019, 09:55 PM

Adding the data for the Bersa .380 Thunder Plus. Best 5 of 7 shots, at 30 feet.

Baby Rock...Spr. 911.....Thunder+.....Ammo
2 1/2"............1 7/8"..........1 7/8"............Sig Sauer 90gr V-Crown JHP (4 shots, 1.0" in the Bersa)
1 1/2"............2 1/8"..........1 1/2"............Winchester 95gr SXZ JHP (4 shots, 13/16" in the 911)
1 7/8"............1 1/4"...........2".................Remington 88gr HTP
2 1/4"............1 3/4"...........(not shot).....Hornady 90gr XTP Custom (4 shots, 1.0" in the 911)
2 1/4"............1 1/2"...........1 3/8"...........Hornady 90gr FTX Critical Defense (4 shots, 7/8" in the Bersa)
2.08".............1.70"............1.69".......... ..Average

Hardly an exhaustive test--only one group per ammo--but gives an idea of how these guns perform. The Thunder+ and 911 are neck-and-neck; the BR is OK but not in their league. Still plenty accurate for practical purposes. As with the 911, no hiccups at all with the Bersa.

Shooting the Bersa with seven rounds of the Hornady CD at 75 feet gave me this target. The three shots with a "1" are the first three shots out of the mag, then the next four were shot. No idea why I brought the target back to put those 1s on there, before shooting the rest.

Edit: I guess I owe myself an apology for hijacking my own Baby Rock thread.....
Attached Thumbnails
Bersa HCD 75 ft.JPG  

Last edited by TominMO; 07-02-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:36 PM

BTW, I did isolate the BR's ammo/slide lock issue. It was with the Hornady Custom ammo. Took one shot, then the gun jammed, slide partially back. Said (expletive deleted) it, removed the rest of the ammo and moved on.

Hornady Critical Defense and Remington HTP performed flawlessly. At 30 feet, the HCD gave me 6 of 7 shots in 1.5"; the Remington gave 4 of 7 in 1.5".

Last edited by TominMO; 07-03-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM

Slide Lock

In my experience, failure of slide lock-back after the last round (N.B., last round fired and long gone) is usually an issue involving the magazine follower and/or slide lock lug contact - usually a follower problem. [BTW, aftermarket "Gucci" magazines sometimes don't work.]

I have never had a slide lock back with a round of any brand or style still in the magazine.

Bull

Last edited by callsign.BULL; 07-10-2019 at 07:27 PM.