Tuning A 1911 Extractor - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 09:58 AM

Tuning A 1911 Extractor

At the Phoenix Gun Show last month I purchased a 45 Extractor to play around and fit to my 1911.

The gun was working fine with zero extraction issues - so a good base to start with.

The bad news was that once I got home and had a good look at the new extractor it was bent like a banana, just not in the right manner for a normal fitting extractor! This was "up" and not "in"

So out with the measuring tools and mic'd it up and all looked okay in that department, so i set out to bend it to match the shape of the working item.

After about 20 goes and testing with my snap caps I could not get it to extract more than 6 out of 8 rounds no matter how fast I reset the rack.

Put the original one back in and all 8 out sweet as... new one in choke after choke on extraction.

So this one goes in the parts bin for now while I wait for different brand to arrive and start the process over again.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:14 AM

I'm not a gunsmith, and I haven't fitted any extactors, so all of this is guesswork on my part.
I wonder if the new extractor was bent "up", not "in", in anticipation of it being filed down in stages until best function is obtained.
I also think I'd withhold judgement on how it functions until you try it with live ammunition. Manually racking the slide may give you a decent first approximation as to how it will operate, but the real proof lies in what happens when the hammer is dropped on live rounds.

CARPE SCOTCH!
Old 05-13-2018, 04:29 PM

Sounds like there's no tension on it

Bend it as needed

That's how tension is adjusted

I put the extractor about 1\4 to 1\3 into the tunnel then use thumb pressure to bend as needed

Doesn't take much bending to make a big difference in tension..
Use a rnd to slip up breach face and under extractor..
It should hold the rnd firmly, but not so firm a few taps of slide on hand doesn't release it

LTA
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 05:23 PM

I'll wait until I get the next extractor and see how that goes. Then take it to the range with a few tools to swap out all 3 extractors.

The original extractor works with the snap caps (solid brass and very heavy) without an issue. So I dont think it's those... but real ammo is a must.

I did try many variations of tension, and yes a little goes a long way. Both extractors seem to sit in the same spot with what seems to be the same gaps around.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerAZ53 View Post
I'll wait until I get the next extractor and see how that goes. Then take it to the range with a few tools to swap out all 3 extractors.

The original extractor works with the snap caps (solid brass and very heavy) without an issue. So I dont think it's those... but real ammo is a must.

I did try many variations of tension, and yes a little goes a long way. Both extractors seem to sit in the same spot with what seems to be the same gaps around.

Have you shot the pistol?
and if so, were there any extraction problems with stock ext'r??

..L.T.A.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
Have you shot the pistol?
and if so, were there any extraction problems with stock ext'r??

..L.T.A.
The original extractor works fine with both real ammo and the snap caps.

Now at 848 rounds!

Some cheap magazines had it nose diving for a while - but Wilson Combat springs and followers seems to have fixed that for now.

It's really an exercise in working out how to fit and tune an extractor. Nothing more than that.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 PM

Got an extractor from Ebay and only had to file a little to get it to fit nice and snug.

First 2 magazines of snap caps fly out real nice.

So off to the range after work one day soon and have a test run with 64 rounds (yeah I have 8 magazines)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:54 PM

Down the range with 106 rounds with one issue at all.

The only difference I can see with the extractors is the bottom side of the claw is more rounded. So I will attempt to bend it a bit further downwards at the tip and see if that fixes it.

The good news is... the 45 is still very accurate as it approaches 1,000 rounds fired. Love this gun!!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:27 AM

An extractor should have 25 to 28 ounces of adj...my RIA FS 9mm will not work if over 12-16 oz..weird--Have an SA EMP4 which is a little difficult to pull extractor--the RIA is a nightmare to pull---UNTIl UNtil I found the Dawson Precision wedge thing to push the hook over to the channel(after removing FP stop---unbelievably easy to pull extractor--works on 9-38 45 cal....15$