A Quantum Leap of Technology - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-01-2020, 10:34 AM

A Quantum Leap of Technology

The Army has finally decided that the time is right to abandon the 5.56mm for its Infantry and other combat forces.

The new rifle will be one of three prototypes. The requirements are a 6.8mm bullet that will weigh between 135-40 grains. It must be “close” to 3,000 FPS. This is not the 6.8 SPC.

Each rifle prototype will introduce a new type “cartridge” albeit one is caseless (telescopic), one is a polymer case, and the last is closer to a traditional cartridge except with a steel base.

The new ammo will be the basis for the change, but other technologies will be introduced as well. Modularity, Brakes, suppressors, optics, and night vision will all help make the new rifle meet the requirements of the Army.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:40 AM

Is it based on the TVCM 6.8?
Old 07-01-2020, 10:56 AM

A new clambering isn't a "quantum leap" in technology.... nor is a new rifle.

They've been playing this game for a decade or more. They're looking at "protptypes" to be delivered God knows when. The cartridge hasn't even been developed or evaluated- approved.... the only spec is a 6.8 bullet.....

When a production contract is awarded, then maybe it'll be real.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Administrator

The military has been screwing around with this for close to 20 years. I'll believe it when I see it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 AM

I've always wondered why they bypass the 6.5.

Seems like the 260 would be a good choice.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post

I always wonder the same. The ballistic coefficient of typical 6.8/.277 bullets always seems worse than the 6.5 or 7mm
Old 07-01-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAW View Post
Is it based on the TVCM 6.8?
Yes, it is one of the competitors in the award process. I believe it is the General Dynamics technology.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
A new clambering isn't a "quantum leap" in technology.... nor is a new rifle.
Yes it is... it will be a marked improvement. Whichever cartridge they select will be like no other cartridge use by any military force. Its capabilities will dwarf the 5.56 in every standard.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post

I think the .260 would have been a good choice in a conventional cartridge , but the Army is NOT going to stay with a brass cartridge. It will be all new.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:45 AM

TIME... for a COMEBACK!!!

I'm SURE they can make a carbine out of it!
Old 07-01-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Yes it is... it will be a marked improvement. Whichever cartridge they select will be like no other cartridge use by any military force. Its capabilities will dwarf the 5.56 in every standard.
Improved performance is NOT a quantum leap in technology...

What about this mystery cartridge is fundamentally different from about 150 years of self contained cartridge technology? Its still going to have a case, primer, propellant, and bullet....

There may be some minor evolution, but nothing revolutionary- not within the 18-24 month fielding timeline you alluded to in the other thread....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 07-01-2020, 11:54 AM

It better have GPS or a nose camera for joystick guidance. A 90 degree turn capability would also be a plus.
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Improved performance is NOT a quantum leap in technology...

What about this mystery cartridge is fundamentally different from about 150 years of self contained cartridge technology? Its still going to have a case, primer, propellant, and bullet....

There may be some minor evolution, but nothing revolutionary- not within the 18-24 month fielding timeline you alluded to in the other thread....
You can argue with me about use of the phrase “Quantum Leap”, but you have a lot to learn if you believe that the Army is looking at traditional brass case, components and iron sights on the rifle. It will be much improved, a Quantum Leap for our Soldiers... who will likely in the future face level 4 body armor.

Last edited by HarryO45; 07-01-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
The Army has finally decided that the time is right to abandon the 5.56mm for its Infantry and other combat forces.

The new rifle will be one of three prototypes. The requirements are a 6.8mm bullet that will weigh between 135-40 grains. It must be “close” to 3,000 FPS. This is not the 6.8 SPC.

Each rifle prototype will introduce a new type “cartridge” albeit one is caseless (telescopic), one is a polymer case, and the last is closer to a traditional cartridge except with a steel base.

The new ammo will be the basis for the change, but other technologies will be introduced as well. Modularity, Brakes, suppressors, optics, and night vision will all help make the new rifle meet the requirements of the Army.
I’ll believe it when I see it.

The Army had gone through how many rifle programs the last 15-years now?
Old 07-01-2020, 12:12 PM

They are reinventing the Wheel, and it is way past time.

Interesting that they are going for a higher velocity, which means flatter trajectory but barrels that will burn-out faster.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 07-01-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I’ll believe it when I see it.

The Army had gone through how many rifle programs the last 15-years now?
Yes the problem is that nothing they can cram into the “M16 platform” does everything better (.300BO, 6.8SPC and .458). Is has been a fool’s errand to expect something so much better that would justify a change for performance needed.

I am with you, I have been following the developments closely, much of it is close hold information. But I will tell you the last three years have been the most promising. I have the great fortune to have been in the audience of some of the public discussions, albeit they are very general (pun intended).

The requirements are not classified, so if you know them, then you can kinda reverse enginner some of this. Several manufacturers have already been cut. There are three competing manufacturers left. Some additional ammo manufactures are on board too. They all have different technologies for the “cartridge”. This is gonna happen. Most Combat Leaders have been disappointed in the 5.56mm in all of its variants.

Longer range
More penetration
And increased basic load (weight)
Advanced optic / night vision
Old 07-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
They are reinventing the Wheel, and it is way past time.

Interesting that they are going for a higher velocity, which means flatter trajectory but barrels that will burn-out faster.
Yes, way past time... that is what is so frustrating, but the technology of ammo is developing to finally justify the changes.

Yes, they are looking at slower rates of fire, with the idea that the improved accuracy will negate the need for volume. They will still be fast, barrel issue will likely be expensive. But remember these weapons will not be issued to everyone in the military, just for fighters. The Army is not gonna to try to give everyone in the military the same equipment. Infantry will get the best rifles, weapons, optic, kit (LBE), helmet and armor... etc . In the past everyone was issued the same rifle... from Support to the Tip of the Spear...that ship has sailed.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:03 PM

A "Quantum Leap" in military speak, a .280 British to anyone who wasn't born yesterday, or doesn't ignore history.

Sure, it may have a partially polymer case so a soldier can carry more ammo, or even caseless, which has been in development a long time. But if you think the bullet is going to be more effective, or even funnier, if you think the military will save money, good luck to you.

Last edited by Bullet Bob; 07-01-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:07 PM

I expect the new Wundergewehr to be so expensive that only the "elite" units will get it and the COs will be duking it out to get them to show they are indeed elite.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:28 PM

In honor of the upcoming 4th of July, lets remember General Washington's quantum leap in technology was implementing the Buck and Ball load
Old 07-01-2020, 01:33 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...o-warning/amp/

Polymer shell casings are....
Old 07-01-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, way past time... that is what is so frustrating, but the technology of ammo is developing to finally justify the changes.

Yes, they are looking at slower rates of fire, with the idea that the improved accuracy will negate the need for volume. They will still be fast, barrel issue will likely be expensive. But remember these weapons will not be issued to everyone in the military, just for fighters. The Army is not gonna to try to give everyone in the military the same equipment. Infantry will get the best rifles, weapons, optic, kit (LBE), helmet and armor... etc . In the past everyone was issued the same rifle... from Support to the Tip of the Spear...that ship has sailed.
So attacking Combat Support and Support units are going to be the "soft" targets, eh?
I wouldn't envy the Quartermasters trying to keep a supply line functioning with so many incompatible unit specific line items
Old 07-01-2020, 01:47 PM

I would think caseless or polymer would present issues during malfunctions.

IMO, these have been the issues all along, with no solid resolutions to date.

Our experiences with the M-16 in early deployment, whether by accident or design, have soured me personally on BOLD NEW STROKES. Our men died due to this and I can not see it changing in the future.

Perhaps sticking with the solid foundation of what works, upgrading the caliber and then in the fullness of time, developing this new super cartridge.

Rushing or forcing it can bode no good.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:42 PM

I have a 30 year old box of polymer case .38 Special. The old plastic does not give me a lot of confidence.
The link below is not my ammo but just like it. I wonder what it is actually worth.
https://shop.ammo-one1.com/product.sc?productId=180
Old 07-01-2020, 03:37 PM

The Garand was going to be originally chambered in the .276 Pedersen. A 7x51MM round. It was not only shorter, but lighter and lower pressure. It would have been in 10 round en bloc clips. But MacArthur and others were still insisting on the .30-06.

So something in the 6.8-7mm caliber range isn't a new thing. It would have probably been a better choice back then. I'm like a lot of others though. The 6.5MM bullets just have too good of specs, BC, SD, etc., that make them flat shooting and accurate in any reasonable cartridge and firearm.

The issue of reliable and safe caseless or polymer ammo to handle the rough handling of military and combat requirements is something I am concerned about for a number of reasons.

A few of the past caseless ammo attempts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caseless_ammunition

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW