Tell me about the .40 HP - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 AM

Tell me about the .40 HP

I have a few HP's and a FEG, all are excellent but I have a line on a few .40's. I've always preferred the .40 especially for carry, and range use.

How do the .40 HP's hold up with regular use?

Any nits?
Old 06-29-2020, 11:43 AM

They shoot great.
Harder to find.
I have two.

I tend to shoot 9mm because ammo costs less. The shooting experience is nearly the same between the two. If you prefer shooting 40, I predict you'll love the High Power in 40.

From Stephen Camp...

Quote:
Unlike some gun manufacturers, FN did not just rechamber the 9mm Hi Power and stick in a stronger recoil spring in their forty caliber pistols. They made significant changes in the pistol so that it would withstand the more powerful caliber's use in their gun without beating itself to death.

Last edited by TNorris; 06-29-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:10 PM

I have the BHP Practical in 40 SW with the cast frame. I shoot mostly my reloads, which are mid to mid-hot range loads. Shoots very well and has become my truck gun. Some of the earlier HP 40SW were made with the forged frames that did not hold up well under the 40SW higher pressure. If you decide to get one, ensure you get the cast frame. These frames are marked with Casting marks (small, tight lines) on the bottom of the frame, aft of the mag well. Good lick!

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 12:13 PM

The BHP 40 is the flattest shooting 40 S&W I've ever fired. Many think of the 40 S&W has a snappy recoil. Browning did the necessary work to control the recoil.

Hi Power's are generally accurate and reliable. This applies to th 40 also. I like 9mm BHP but love the 40 BHP.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:37 PM

I had a Hi-Power Practical IN .40 S&W, but have sold it after using it very little for two reasons:

1. I discovered 10mm and love it, have it in 1911, Glock, SDm, and revolver configurations. I have no further need for a .40S&W.

2. This is the more significant reason. I like my Hi-Power nines. They are an ergonomic marvel, are relatively lightweight, slim, svelte, and a delight to handle. A lot of these characteristics are IMO diminished when the hi-power is beefed up, with an increase in weight, to handle .40S&W.

OTOH, a lot of people seem to really like their .40 Hi-Powers.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:29 PM

Thanks, I forgot about the forged/cast issues. I shoot quite a bit and I'll have to look for that.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:02 PM

The .40 Hi-Power is one of two pistols that changed my mind on the .40S&W round, the other being a Sig P226. I have two and am looking for another. One has been decked out by Don Williams of the Action Works and has a conversion barrel for .357 SIG. it is a great shooter. My other one is a Practical model that will probably get a 9mm conversion barrel as the .40 model will easily last longer with higher volume practice. But I really like carrying them in .40. Especially with Buffalo Bore or Underwood 140 grain Barnes load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 03:49 PM

I had a Browning Practical model a few years back. Added sights , Spegel grips , trigger job and a C&S small ring hammer. But the weight/mass they added to the slide ruined the perfect balance of the 9 and added felt recoil.

I traded it for a CZ-75B-SA in .40 and couldn't be happier.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
I had a Browning Practical model a few years back. Added sights , Spegel grips , trigger job and a C&S small ring hammer. But the weight/mass they added to the slide ruined the perfect balance of the 9 and added felt recoil.

I traded it for a CZ-75B-SA in .40 and couldn't be happier.

I can see where the change could feel unbalanced. I want a CZ-75 in .40S&W.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy45 View Post
I can see where the change could feel unbalanced. I want a CZ-75 in .40S&W.

The CZ fits my hand like it was made for me.
Attached Thumbnails
cz7540.jpg  
Old 06-29-2020, 06:37 PM

I own a Gunsite BHP in .40cal. The gun is total class and fires very smoothly. Recoil is negligible.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 06-29-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:45 PM

My .40 is a pleasure to shoot. I often use a Barsto conversion barrel to shoot 9mm in it as well because the heavier slide helps with recoil.

As long as your .40 has a cast frame, then you should expect many many years of service.

Old Army Customs
Old 06-29-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
The CZ fits my hand like it was made for me.

I’m right there with ya. Nothing seems to fit as good as a Hi-Power or a CZ. The 97 is the best feeling double stack .45.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I’m right there with ya. Nothing seems to fit as good as a Hi-Power or a CZ. The 97 is the best feeling double stack .45.
Agreed, there "used" to be as good in the Tanfoglio small frames, but they're gone. Maybe an IFG Defiant small frame in .40 is in my future.

The problem I have with my CZ Shadow is it pinches my finger when the trigger resets forward between the frame and trigger. If not for that and the fact it's not a .40 it would be a perfect pistol.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM

I've had a .40 BHP for years. Mine was customized by Marc McCord, formerly of Austin, with a set of 1911 Novak sights, a radiused trigger, a recoil spring guide that has a buffer built into it, and an extended slide release. I admired the old Novak Special Ops HPs, but couldn't afford one back then and Marc built what is about perfect for me. That pistol shoots 135gr. Cor-Bons, and about everything else I've put in it, like a laser beam. It may be in my head, but something about a really fast bullet seems to work for me.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
I own a Gunsite BHP in .40cal. The gun is total class and fires very smoothly. Recoil is negligible.
I also own a Gunsite BHP 40 S&W. The BHP 40 handles the cartridge very well with good ergonomics and a heavy recoil spring. I owned a H&K USP Compact in 40 until I shot the BHP. I sold the H&K and kept the BHP.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I'd have to disagree on the 97. I couldn't wait to get my hands on one , but the grip was all wrong. 1911 feels better.

PS , I'd love to see the 97 in 10mm!
Old 06-30-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I'd have to disagree on the 97. I couldn't wait to get my hands on one , but the grip was all wrong. 1911 feels better.

PS , I'd love to see the 97 in 10mm!

I would agree the 1911 is better. But for a double stack, especially compared to a Glock 21 or USP45, the 97 feels good. As for the 10mm 97, ask and he shall receive.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I would agree the 1911 is better. But for a double stack, especially compared to a Glock 21 or USP45, the 97 feels good. As for the 10mm 97, ask and he shall receive.
How close do you think this gun is compared to the Bren 10?

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
How close do you think this gun is compared to the Bren 10?

As close as most will ever get. It looks a lot more svelte than the Bren Ten.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:15 AM

Nice, but did you all see the price on that CZ 10? Whoa!

https://czcustom.com/quickview/index/view/id/23487

Starting at ~1/3 the price of the CZ, Tanfos in 10mm are available in more barrel lengths, without a rail, SAO/ SA/DA, and different (better IMO) finishes.

Oh, I left the barrel bushing concept off of my RADAR screen years ago, that CZ went back a hundred years.

Last edited by gnappi; 07-01-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
Nice, but did you all see the price on that CZ 10? Whoa!

https://czcustom.com/quickview/index/view/id/23487

Starting at ~1/3 the price of the CZ, Tanfos in 10mm are available in more barrel lengths, without a rail, SAO/ SA/DA, and different (better IMO) finishes.

Oh, I left the barrel bushing concept off of my RADAR screen years ago, that CZ went back a hundred years.

I did. But after dealing with CZ and DW’s customer service, they are worth the money. Can’t say enough good things about them.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:46 PM

I am in the minority here but I am not a fan of the BHP in 40 S&W. It was only created in order to get the BHP into LEO departments in the US when the popularity of the caliber was growing.

The gun simply does not handle the same way in 40 as it does in 9mm. In 9mm there is a perfect balance of weight, recoil and pointablity. The gun is very easy to shoot. Tracking the sight shot to shot is easy.

When you switch to 40 S&W all of that changes. The recoil impulse comes directly back into the hand. It batters the shooter in extended range sessions. The longer you shoot it the less accurate your shot become. I have seen it happen in training courses where you are firing 200-300 rounds in a day.

I took a 2.5 day training course with Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers. One of the guys brought 2 BHPs. The first day he shot the 9mm the second day he started with the 40 S&W. His groups the second day were off from the first. KH noticed he was not shooting as well and saw that he had changed BHPs. Ken told him to get the 9mm back out and put the 40 S&W away.

As soon as he did that his groups went back to what they had been on the first day. Ken, the Gentleman and I then talked a bit about the BHP in 40. KH said that the BHP in 9mm was one of the finest handguns ever made but that the 40 S&W changed it for the worse. He stated pretty much what I said above. Almost everything that makes the BHP in 9mm great is diminished in the 40 S&W version. I had one for a short time but then moved on.

YMMV
Old 07-01-2020, 04:37 PM

When I traded my .40 S&W Hi Power away 12 years ago I regretted it despite. Not liking .40 S&W all that much; it wasn’t until in CBP we switched to the H&K 2000SK .40 S&W did I start to warm up to the .40. So, last year on my birthday, I “found” another one; like new in the box with all the factory supplied goodies and 3 magazines here locally in San Antonio for $750 plus tax. Happy Birthday to me!

It is different then the 9MM Hi Power; balance in the hand is different; recoil is more, but all in all it is (in my opinion) a very good gun.

I always sort of regretted trading my .40 Hi Power away so last July, on my birthday it was sort of fate that I bought a like NIB .40 Hi Power with 3 magazines, and factory supplies stuff in the box for $750 plus tax out the door. It’s on my belt as I type this; with an Elite Warrior Armament P-35 9MM in a shoulder holster it’s a potent 1-2 combo. Perhaps a bit of overkill; but although you can be underarmed you can never have too many guns available at hand!

Like all guns, similar but in a different caliber (like a Colt .45 Combat Commander or a .38 Super Combat Commander) they are different. Weight is different as is recoil and balance; recoil, while stiffer is still manageable, but in my opinion I have no regrets about buying the .40. With Navidrex stocks it fits my hand rather nicely!
Old 07-01-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I did. But after dealing with CZ and DW’s customer service, they are worth the money. Can’t say enough good things about them.

I hear ya, every call to CZ about my Shadow was answered by a knowledgeable helpful employee.

EAA OTOH while the end result was positive I did not always get the info I needed straightaway. But, I never needed real support from either CZ or EAA so for broken stuff I guess support is important which EAA's reputation is abominable.

At any rate with Patriot, G&L, Henning, and Stoeger, EAA support is really not in the picture anymore.