Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 07:39 AM

Defund SROs?

Anyone remember Parkland? And others.

What are these people thinking?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/5336791002/
Old 06-19-2020, 07:55 AM

I skimmed the article, but I suppose it depends on what one envisions the SRO's duties are.

While you and I probably look at the SRO as somebody to protect the students from an outside threat or an inside threat with a dangerous weapon, some districts, per that article, seem to think of the SRO as what my high school in the 1970's would have called the "Dean of Men", the campus disciplinarian.

This makes me think of this video from a few yeas back of an SRO throwing a student out of her desk and hand cuffing her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwOEfyimWsQ

Kind of a shocking video, but they never seem to point out what would have lead up to this action by the SRO.

The teacher asked the student to do something and she refused to comply. The teacher called the front office to get somebody to get the student to comply. I believe the principal or assistant principal had already arrived and they couldn't get the student to comply, they then called the SRO and he got her to comply.

For anybody that has ever been in a school, how long do you think it took the teacher before he called the front office? Was it 10 minutes, 15 minutes? How long do you think it took the front office to send the principal/assistant principal to the classroom? Another 10 - 15 minutes? How long would have the front office staff taken before calling the SRO, another 5 - 10 minutes, and how long would have it taken for the SRO to get to the classroom, interact with the student an then toss her out of her desk?

Man, that must have taken nearly the entire class period for this interaction to happen.

Lots of school guidelines prevent teachers/administrators from touching students. If a student doesn't comply to verbal commands, many places require them to call LE.

While I'm saddened by the need for SRO's, I'm not for removing the SRO's.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:56 AM

Apparently they are not thinking. These people are just “talking heads” who get paid to express their opinions. And like actors who play different roles in various projects, these “talking heads” opinions may change to suit the publication for which they write. Unfortunately, the general public reads their “opinions “ and then vote on an issue.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."

Last edited by tractor; 06-19-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 AM

In some schools, the overworked Assis. Principal turns-over some school-policy enforcement duties to the SROs.

In the one I work in, I stay in the background, acting as Armed Security, and only get involved when they want me to. When is that? When it is something they can no longer deal with, or the person involved does not come from money, or is not a sports star, or is a constant pain-in-the-ass.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 06-19-2020, 09:58 AM

The simple answer is they aren't thinking. They are reacting and virtue signalling. They see COPS as the problem and not criminals. They believe if the cops go away the criminals will become nicer or go away completely. It is stoner logic.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
The simple answer is they aren't thinking. They are reacting and virtue signalling. They see COPS as the problem and not criminals. They believe if the cops go away the criminals will become nicer or go away completely. It is stoner logic.
Whoah, slow down a tick there. That's an insult to stoners. As a (former) stoner, this class of individual is a special brand of window licker that I would argue is lower functioning than any stoner I ever knew or associated with. We just wanted weed legal, we didn't want police to be defunded or disbanded.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Most of us here realise if police go away then anything goes. It'll be rule by the strongest. Unless vigilante are formed?
I don't want that, probably no one else does either.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:55 AM

I went to high school in the mid-'70s in Chicago and we had a cop in the school then. Nobody thought twice about it. I can't even remember seeing the guy most of the time.

If you read the Second City Cop blog, the rank-and-file Chicago cops want out of the schools. They're there to control the unruly kids, but they just become a target for the liberal media and the liberal school system, so they say "f*ck it, we don't need this".

I agree with the Chicago cops. Get them out of the schools and let the inmates run the asylum. Now that would be a great learning experience for these liberal teachers.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Until the next ( God forbid) school shooting.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post
I went to high school in the mid-'70s in Chicago and we had a cop in the school then. Nobody thought twice about it. I can't even remember seeing the guy most of the time.

If you read the Second City Cop blog, the rank-and-file Chicago cops want out of the schools. They're there to control the unruly kids, but they just become a target for the liberal media and the liberal school system, so they say "f*ck it, we don't need this".

I agree with the Chicago cops. Get them out of the schools and let the inmates run the asylum. Now that would be a great learning experience for these liberal teachers.
It would be a BAD idea, especially in the big-city, inner-city schools. No one really wants this as it would become the Wild West (again).

Even in my school, which is in an affluent, white-bread, country setting, the teachers and staff would not be happy if we disappeared. We were placed there following the Parkland shooting, as demanded by the parents and teachers. We give them piece-of-mind and help w/ some of the menial tasks that need to be done (doorway security at the beginning and end of school, Lunchroom duty, physical security of the building, rendering first aid, etc).

This "defund the Police" nonsense was started by Antifa (anarchists) and BLM (anarchists and Black Supremacy racists), which was then picked-up by all the feel-good, brainless Libs. The former are saying it so they can take-over; the latter are saying it as they don't understand or care about the ramifications.

Disband the Minneapolis Police. I dare you. It would be a great lesson for the rest of the world in what happens when Society's Protectors no longer exist.

Open warfare would immediately breakout:
1. In Week-1, old scores would get settled and gang warfare would be out-in-the-open.
2. In Week-2, banks and businesses would be emptied of their money and merchandise.
3. In Week-3, private residences would be looted and occupants killed for no other reason than there would be no downside to doing it.

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 06-19-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:55 PM

They just voted to do this very thing in Milwaukee Public Schools at the board meeting last night. No more SROs and no more stepped-up patrols in school neighborhoods. Wonder what they'll say when crime starts going up.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 06-19-2020, 04:01 PM

They wil demand funding for more Social Workers. Millions of them. Social Workers are going to save us all from Evil. At least we won't be wasting any money on SROs like the the fine ones from the Parkland Police Dept. The Social Workers can just hand out anti depressant drugs and pamphlets if there is another psycho shooting up the school.

Last edited by drail; 06-19-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
They just voted to do this very thing in Milwaukee Public Schools at the board meeting last night. No more SROs and no more stepped-up patrols in school neighborhoods. Wonder what they'll say when crime starts going up.
What passes for a City Council voted to disband the PD. Let's see if either one happens.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
Theyíll start crying like babies and find someone else to blame.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Until the next ( God forbid) school shooting.
No, then they just blame the gun and push for more BS gun control laws that won’t do anything except make more victims.

Personally, I’m surprised a Beslan type attack hasn’t happened yet at a school here.

Last edited by Welder Guy; 06-19-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:57 PM

I'm reminded of Florida every time I hear the word SRO, still to this day. Anyways, with all the stupid policies they have now, aren't the sro's kinda like empty suits now? Suppose it depends on where we're talking about too.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
I'm reminded of Florida every time I hear the word SRO, still to this day. Anyways, with all the stupid policies they have now, aren't the sro's kinda like empty suits now? Suppose it depends on where we're talking about too.
True. However a friend of mine is an SRO at one of the local schools in his AO. Former SWAT team officer and sniper team leader. He sure as hell wonít be the one to run from an incident. And heís got a great relationship with the students there.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder Guy View Post
True. However a friend of mine is an SRO at one of the local schools in his AO. Former SWAT team officer and sniper team leader. He sure as hell wonít be the one to run from an incident. And heís got a great relationship with the students there.
I never really knew my sro's. That's a good thing I suppose

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2020, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder Guy View Post
No, then they just blame the gun and push for more BS gun control laws that wonít do anything except make more victims.

Personally, Iím surprised a Beslan type attack hasnít happened yet at a school here.
Well, any area defunding SROs is probably also defunding their police departments. I can't imagine an army of 'social workers' will be willing to put their asses on the line enforcing gun control laws. Our big cities are really starting to look like a wicked case of the blind leading the dumb. Or maybe the other way around.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:08 AM

Former SRO and current school admin here. Inhave negotiated and managed SRO contracts from both sides of the desk. Done well, with the right officer and good program guidelines, SROs are an important cog in the wheel.

I wouldn't want to play in the current sandbox without our very good SRO. It is expensive and not a simple solution to school issues.

My current location staffs administrators, Dean's of students, guidance counselors and a social worker. The SRO has a well defined, narrow lane and serves his purposes well.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:

We never had one in the 1970's. Never needed them. Kids in those days respected authority. If you acted up in school really bad, one of the coaches came and got you and your parents were called and you were suspended or expelled, depending on the level of misconduct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levian View Post
Well, any area defunding SROs is probably also defunding their police departments. I can't imagine an army of 'social workers' will be willing to put their asses on the line enforcing gun control laws. Our big cities are really starting to look like a wicked case of the blind leading the dumb. Or maybe the other way around.
This is the policy (the PROMISE Program) they had of ultra leniency in Broward County leading to the Parkland shooting. That miscreant that did the shooting would literally throw desks at teachers and threaten to shoot up the school for two years before they expelled him and put him into another lenient school system for difficult students.

Heritage Expert: PROMISE Program Failed Students, Washington Should Take Note
Old 06-29-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
We never had one in the 1970's. Never needed them. Kids in those days respected authority. If you acted up in school really bad, one of the coaches came and got you and your parents were called and you were suspended or expelled, depending on the level of misconduct.

This is the policy (the PROMISE Program) they had of ultra leniency in Broward County leading to the Parkland shooting. That miscreant that did the shooting would literally throw desks at teachers and threaten to shoot up the school for two years before they expelled him and put him into another lenient school system for difficult students.

Heritage Expert: PROMISE Program Failed Students, Washington Should Take Note
They were so scared of that kid that he wasn't allowed to have a backpack at school. Turns out they had every reason to be scared too.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:11 PM

Glancing at the subject line, I thought it read, "Defund SOROS," which I'm ALL in favor of!

Freezing all his accounts and assets sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. Funding police departments with them sounds even better.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
I skimmed the article, but I suppose it depends on what one envisions the SRO's duties are.

While you and I probably look at the SRO as somebody to protect the students from an outside threat or an inside threat with a dangerous weapon, some districts, per that article, seem to think of the SRO as what my high school in the 1970's would have called the "Dean of Men", the campus disciplinarian.

This makes me think of this video from a few yeas back of an SRO throwing a student out of her desk and hand cuffing her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwOEfyimWsQ

Kind of a shocking video, but they never seem to point out what would have lead up to this action by the SRO.

The teacher asked the student to do something and she refused to comply. The teacher called the front office to get somebody to get the student to comply. I believe the principal or assistant principal had already arrived and they couldn't get the student to comply, they then called the SRO and he got her to comply.

For anybody that has ever been in a school, how long do you think it took the teacher before he called the front office? Was it 10 minutes, 15 minutes? How long do you think it took the front office to send the principal/assistant principal to the classroom? Another 10 - 15 minutes? How long would have the front office staff taken before calling the SRO, another 5 - 10 minutes, and how long would have it taken for the SRO to get to the classroom, interact with the student an then toss her out of her desk?

Man, that must have taken nearly the entire class period for this interaction to happen.

Lots of school guidelines prevent teachers/administrators from touching students. If a student doesn't comply to verbal commands, many places require them to call LE.

While I'm saddened by the need for SRO's, I'm not for removing the SRO's.

SRO's in the big cities are there to keep the students from throwing the teachers out windows.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:

We didn't have them at my school back in the 60's. We did have some nuns who make the SWAT guys look like wimps, though.
Closed Thread