No Charges for KY Homeowner Who Shot Cop in Backyard - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-02-2019, 02:43 PM

How and why do you think all that "Police Officer.....drop your weapon!" stuff got started. For just reasons such as this. When I was auditioning for the Sheriff's dept, they even called their obstacle course competition "back yard pursuit". Moving full boar through backyards was not something out of the ordinary. Not identifying yourself as law enforcement when confronted by unknown human would have been.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1 View Post
Similar garbage happens all the time when a cop is in a backyard he is not supposed to be in and then kills a dog that happens to be in that backyard and wants to protect it.

Really easy to knock on the front door and ask permission to 'check' the backyard first instead of just trespassing from the start.

Why is this officer not being charged with trespassing and assault on the homeowner?

Actually, it’s not so easy to knock and ask to check first. The time spent doing that is time your suspect is moving further away while no one is trying to keep up with him.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post

When I took active shooter training, the police told us once they enter the building, they will shoot anyone they see holding a gun (or a coffee mug or a stapler...etc.:

Doubtful.

The Founding Fathers would have been shooting decades ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 09:12 PM

Doubtless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0311B50 View Post
All in the title.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Sure enough there was one guy trying to make himself as small as possible in the old Studebaker that I was restoring. Must have come in over the back wall.
Were you charged with harboring a Studebaker?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:39 PM

A lot of good comments in this thread; I think magazineman has presented a fairly balanced assessment.

Just a bad situation, likely misjudgments by the LEO (I think he erred, but I've had time to think about it); on other hand, yes, it's tough to be chasing some perp through a residential neighborhood. Almost a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, with very little time to think everything through.

Not sure that we know what crime the perp (person being searched for) committed. The more serious the crime, the more I can understand the officer's search tactics. (That's understand, not necessarily agree).

Glad no charges against homeowner; and glad officer survived.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 02-21-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Glad no charges against homeowner; and glad officer survived.
Except the owner was indicted for Felony Assault.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:51 AM

http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/ne...dfe37be1d.html

A plea deal was rejected and trial scheduled for July.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
Except the owner was indicted for Felony Assault.
Oh my!

I was going by the initial report and OP (I.e., "The article says they won't charge the homeowner").

So the authorities did come back and charge the homeowner. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

A decision that's no doubt heartwarming to leftists who oppose the 2A and the citizens' right of armed SD.

Not so good ...

From linked article provided by GySgt (+1911), "according to a report by the lead detective in that case, neither Morris nor Turley were at fault.". Hopefully, the lead detective will not change his testimony in the courtroom.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 02-22-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:07 PM

When the state police investigation found no fault I was amazed at the indictment. Just proves that the only enemy of our guns are rust and politicians.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:42 PM

D.A. discretion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt 7291 View Post
When the state police investigation found no fault I was amazed at the indictment. Just proves that the only enemy of our guns are rust and politicians.
Grand jury proceedings often have no adversarial elements. In such an environment, the D.A.’s office is free to present a one-sided view of the facts. The D.A. in the KY case may have wanted to enhance/preserve “streed cred” with law enforcement: so perhaps took the case to a grand jury, using the G.J. as a cut-out.

Our [thankfully] former D.A., a toxic personalty, was known to retry clear-cut self-defense cases, each iteration leaving out more facts until a grand jury indicted. In such cases, once in the adversarial context of a trial, the defense counsel could bring out exculpatory facts and destroy the prosecution’s case. But by then the defendent had spent 10s of thousands of dollars in legal fees; countless hours away from normal life; all as punishment tyrannically inflicted by the D.A. who believed in total citizen-victim disarmament. And the money the D.A. -squandered- on these loser cases? Didn’t come out of -his- pocket!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:18 AM

That is the reason I have the USCCA legal insurance. I live in Louisville so I’m following this as best I can. This is the first self defense shooting indictment I remember in a long time.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:22 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I can see how this could occur without anyone truly being 100% at fault. Except the PERP who initiated this whole crapstorm.

And THAT'S who you charge, with the officer's death.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:40 AM

Anyone carrying a gun who is a law abiding citizen is required to identify the target before shooting. The officer did not do so. How are we supposed to believe the "it was dark" excuse when he could see the gun, but, mysteriously, not the face? The officer failed to ID the target and just shot. It is 100% his fault. He knew he was crossing into people's yards and that there are homeowners and bystanders around. Pull this cop's badge, fire him, and make sure he never holds office ever again.

This is why officers should only give chase in extreme circumstances. They'll get the perp eventually with a little work. Unfortunately, "real police" are long gone and have been replaced with "law enforcement" who frequently lack training and judgement to do things the right way.

Last edited by tomrkba; 02-23-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Anyone carrying a gun who is a law abiding citizen is required to identify the target before shooting. The officer did not do so. How are we supposed to believe the "it was dark" excuse when he could see the gun, but, mysteriously, not the face? The officer failed to ID the target and just shot. It is 100% his fault. He knew he was crossing into people's yards and that there are homeowners and bystanders around. Pull this cop's badge, fire him, and make sure he never holds office ever again.

This is why officers should only give chase in extreme circumstances. They'll get the perp eventually with a little work. Unfortunately, "real police" are long gone and have been replaced with "law enforcement" who frequently lack training and judgement to do things the right way.
You're far too generous... arrest him, charge, try, and convict him of attempted murder. He's the "professional", he's the one who should know exactly who he's shooting at...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-23-2019, 01:57 PM

You can indict a ham sandwich.
Dan Wesson Valor (2009) Valor #46 Cotep #184
Springfield TRP 10mm 6" RMR
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM

If government manages to get a guilty verdict on the charge (or a lesser charge that might be negotiated) they're off the liability hook. Bottomless pockets of cash to support pressing the charge (warranted or not) with staff already on the payroll puts the homeowner on the wrong side of being able to finance his defense........plead to something or loose everything you have left.

Cynical? If the police investigation (conveniently not admissible?..really...why?) effectively cleared both parties why is this being pursued?

Something is very wrong here.

EDIT...post #36 already nailed it.

Last edited by Barefootdog; 02-26-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:31 AM

Follow up on this, home owner pled guilty to a lesser felony charge, officer that caused the incident and admitted to firing first apparently off the hook even after Kentucky State Police investigators determined the homeowner was not at fault.
https://www.messenger-inquirer.com/n...c69b07bbd.html
https://www.14news.com/2019/07/09/ma...lved-shooting/
Old 08-28-2019, 11:14 AM

Bad guys, in the dark, might try identifying themselves as police officers.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:20 PM

I wasn't there but if someone behind my backyard fence in the dark with flashlight starts shooting at me with my love-ones as backstop? that's a no-brainer knee-jerk response.
I know hindsight is always 20/20 but if the young cop indeed recognized homeowner was packing heat, he could've easily identified himself too instead of shooting first, inaccurate placements to boot, with bullets sent where kids slept.
However, the devil is in the details, so hopefully lessons learned....nice to know the cop was recovering fine & no one else got hurt.
SA 1911-A1SS 45acp
RIA Tactical 10mm & .40S&W
Old 08-28-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt 7291 View Post
Follow up on this, home owner pled guilty to a lesser felony charge, officer that caused the incident and admitted to firing first apparently off the hook even after Kentucky State Police investigators determined the homeowner was not at fault.
https://www.messenger-inquirer.com/n...c69b07bbd.html
https://www.14news.com/2019/07/09/ma...lved-shooting/
So if he plead guilty to a lessor felony charge did he lose his right to own a gun in the process? No way I’d take that ‘plea’!
COTEP#782
Old 08-28-2019, 03:28 PM

Officer Morris stated he did identify himself several times. Perhaps Turley just didn’t hear him.

A diversion means the charges are dismissed and off your record after the term of the diversion. The article states the handgun Turley used in the incident will be returned to him when the diversion ends. Seems like his 2A rights will be reinstated at that time.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:52 PM

Its good to know that the office is recuperating, great to know we still have a constitution.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:43 PM

Let me get this straight. Cop, not in danger, shoots first. Man, shooting back in self defense, is intimidated into pleading guilty. Cop walks.
Is that about right?
Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 AM

... And this is a TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE

Why on Earth would there be ANY
" Deal " ??

IMHO
It would be interesting to read the
Court Documents and how // why
Homeowner was even charged with ANYTHING.