Challis Grips has a new website - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2015, 07:15 PM

Challis Grips has a new website

Check out the new Challis Grips website.
  • Fresh presentation of 1911 Hex Drive Grip Bushings, O-rings, Bushing Extractors and nut drivers
  • A Gallery of Mounted Grips
  • A Gallery of Sold Grips
  • A new Grip Blanks Gallery of available blanks ready to be made into 1911 grips
  • We now accept credit cards: Visa, MasterCard & Discover
  • Check us out and be sure to check back...there are new and exciting things coming in the days ahead.

visit our websiteconnect with us on facebook
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 PM

Brian,
I like the new site easy to navigate and intuitive.

Roger Davis
Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 AM

Very innovative with the bushings!!! I will buy some soon!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 10:21 AM

Excellent/first rate!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM

The new site is coming along nicely. Looking forward to the "build your grip" feature. Some very nice panels available. I'm tempted to buy some grips then get another gun to go with them!
TN Firearms Association Legislative Action Committee
Handgunlaw.us Donor
Old 05-22-2015, 01:27 PM

Awesome! I'll check it out when I can look at a full sized screen and not a cell phone.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
The new site is coming along nicely... Some very nice panels available. I'm tempted to buy some grips then get another gun to go with them!
You wouldn't be the first...

Old 05-31-2015, 04:51 PM

Check out the more extensive galleries at challisgrips.com

Old 06-10-2015, 03:46 PM

Along with our new website, we have planned on making videos to demonstrate how to remove old school grip bushings and install our new Hex Drive Bushings. Next week we begin shooting and hope to have the finished videos by the end of the month.

The first photo, by a customer, shows a set of Hex Drive Bushings just before he installed them on his 1911 and mounted a set of our mammoth tooth grips. The following photos show the rest of the package. (No, we didn't contribute to the shotgun)

Old 07-02-2015, 01:32 PM

A hint of what is coming soon to Challis Grips...

Old 07-02-2015, 02:31 PM

Very nice website. I placed an order last night for some supplies to replace the slim grips on my Wiley Clapp. My only suggestion would be to include a description on items like the o-rings explaining when they are needed and not. I erred on the side of caution and ordered both varieties anyway.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbiscuit View Post
Very nice website. I placed an order last night for some supplies to replace the slim grips on my Wiley Clapp. My only suggestion would be to include a description on items like the o-rings explaining when they are needed and not. I erred on the side of caution and ordered both varieties anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion quickbiscuit. We are already headed that way. There are two instructional videos being produced this week. I hope to have them up sometime next week. On your recommendation I will post additional info on the site about the Extractors and the Hex Drive Bushing system, including the O-rings, with some description of when they should be used. But don't hold your breath, it will take me a while.

In summary, there is not a condition that I am aware of where the O-rings will not improve the mounting of the grip panels. They are especially valuable when shooting with fragile or heavy grips (g-10).

I did not anticipate this, but I have had a pistolsmith and two gun owners tell me that they can feel improved control of the gun when using the bushings and both O-rings. I am not yet prepared to make an official statement about that, but I will be paying attention to feedback from those using the system.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Brian, what material are these stocks made of? I've never seen a set of stocks complement a blued finish any better. Can this pattern be replicated or is it luck of the draw on getting the blue tones in this material?

I don't mean to hijack the thread. Feel free to PM with details. I'm interested in a set if I could get close to the same look.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-05-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbiscuit View Post
Brian, what material are these stocks made of? I've never seen a set of stocks complement a blued finish any better. Can this pattern be replicated or is it luck of the draw on getting the blue tones in this material?

I don't mean to hijack the thread. Feel free to PM with details. I'm interested in a set if I could get close to the same look.
Hi quickbisquit,

No worries about hijacking the thread; yours is a pertinent question. Every mammoth tooth is unique, so to a degree the color is going to be different from tooth to tooth. That is one of the things that makes natural materials so interesting. That said, let me make a couple of points:
  • All mammoth teeth are very old...most are tens of thousands of years old...and so there is always some degree of deteriation. Because of this, the teeth need to be stabilized in order to keep them from crumbling in pieces when cut. Stabilization involves filling the cracks with resin and the natural color can be complimented by the color of resin used. I have never used blue resin because I feel it conflicts with the natural color.
  • The lighter bands in the mammoth tooth is enamel which often has a natural blue cast. That is the case with the set you refer to.
  • I will sometimes treat grips with dye after they are finished in order to enhance the natural color. The enamel can be especially receptive to treatment with blue dye.

We always have our customers approve a specific set of blanks before we make their grips. Our backlog is such that an order needs to be placed and a 25% deposit collected to get on our production schedule. Then when we have blanks prepared that have not been assigned to someone else, we will send photos for the customer to choose what they like. If we can't find a suitable material before we need to start making the grips, we will gladly refund the deposit, or keep looking as directed by the customer.

If you want to discuss placing an order, please email or phone.

Brian Challis
[email protected]
801 571-5247