Taurus Factory Wood Stocks Wow! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Taurus Factory Wood Stocks Wow!

Called today, and was told they will sell a set to me for $50! plus 8.95 shipping. Told them thanks, but believe I will look elsewhere. Sent Herretts an e-mail, waiting to hear what they say.,
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Solid wood today is not real reasonable. Diamondwood can be had pretty right. I think I paid a little more for my Taurus wood grips letting the dealer make a nominal amount. They are a hybrid of the bullhead and the double diamond all rolled into one, with the proper Taurus ambi clearance.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 AM

It seems a bit steep considering that Ruger factory grips are around $35 a pop...

I ended up just getting some no-name basic "double diamond" rosewood 1911 grips out of the case at the LGS for $25. Had to ream the holes a bit and dremel the right side grip for the ambi cut for it to fit, but the half hour of work to save the money was worth it. They look fine, too.

I thought I had a better picture of them, but this is all I have.

Last edited by RxWatcher; 11-09-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Banned

I told them no bull head walnut. I wanted double diamond rosewood to give good contrast with the black spray and bake finish. I flinched at the price initially but recall they had done some other money saving things for me and I went ahead. The bulls head on these was more discreet than the ones shown in the catalog so I have no regrets.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Not going to spring for $50 woodys right now, I think I will adapt some other woods that I already have. When you can buy the excellent Herretts for around $30, Taurus is seems to be out there. Checked with Herretts and they don't make them for the PT-1911, going to check Hogue next.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 AM

you want to check Raasco...I don't yet have a pair of these but some members here do...

http://www.raascogrips.com

Bill
Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Banned

I have raascos and I like them. I bought two sets of dymondwood on two occasions. This crossed a threshold that resulted in free shipping.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 AM

i write this to draw you out and you STILL don't show that pic of yours with those beautiful stocks???...

Bill
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 AM

thanks for the heads up on the raascos, was not aware of them, will order a set pronto.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Banned

SS:

I checked and I do not have a file photo of proper raascos to finish. I think I had a pick at one time of midnight black raascos on a natural Taurus finish but I think it is gone. I have midnight black on stainless now and heritage brown on black shake and bake. I was waiting for good light and some other considerations to get some new pics into this thread.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Check Brownells, Midway and Natchez to get an idea of what is out there.

Also, take a look at these: http://www.woodgrips.com/1911_ultra_thin.htm

I put Chip McCormick slims on my Spartan as my LGS had some in stock. They are great.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
Check Brownells, Midway and Natchez to get an idea of what is out there.

Also, take a look at these: http://www.woodgrips.com/1911_ultra_thin.htm

I put Chip McCormick slims on my Spartan as my LGS had some in stock. They are great.

If you check the raasco site, they explain in detail fit considerations for the Taurus not found on other brands of 1911s. Folks appreciate not only the explanation but letting greyhound do the driving as to necessary adjustments.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM

yes I guess they are the only ones offering aftermarket for the PT-1911, I was going to sell it, but now think I will get the new stocks and keep it.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
If you check the raasco site, they explain in detail fit considerations for the Taurus not found on other brands of 1911s. Folks appreciate not only the explanation but letting greyhound do the driving as to necessary adjustments.
Oh! Had no idea there was a difference. Doh!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Once upon a time, I did not either. You would think it safe to assume the full size 1911 is going to accept any full size 1911 grip so long as it is ambi cut. Trying some I said this ain't right. I went back to oem plastic till I found raasco. The differences are the grip screw head size, the distance from the bushings of the front strap and the amount of ambi relief.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
Once upon a time, I did not either. You would think it safe to assume the full size 1911 is going to accept any full size 1911 grip so long as it is ambi cut. Trying some I said this ain't right. I went back to oem plastic till I found raasco. The differences are the grip screw head size, the distance from the bushings of the front strap and the amount of ambi relief.
Seems pretty nonsensical to not stick with the existing platform! Especially when it isn't something that affects function.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned

I am not certain what aspect of what platform you mean. Lots of manufacturers are doing lots of 1911 parts different for reasons they keep close to the vest. Other grips can be altered to work. Some will be cosmetically different in the area of exposed metal in front of and behind the grip. Ambi safeties? I need them. The Taurus leg being thicker is of no consequence to someone with tools and ability. It has been of consequence to folks with the wrong grips unaltered.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM

i found a set of custom made walnuts on ebay and bought them, will see how they work when they get here.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 PM

Hello to All:

I have used Esmeralda, VZ, Pearce, Hogue and other grips on my ambi-equipped PT1911.
Like Chuntaro, the ambi is mandatory for me. I did not have any problems with grip screw and ambi safety clearance and I did not know that there was supposed to be a Taurus grip problem until I read the RAASCO website.
I did finally get 2 sets of Redwood double diamond RAASCOs for it (and a Colt) and they are VERY nice indeed. They look great and they cover more of the grip frame than the other non-Taurus grips.
I can highly recommend RAASCO and his prices are really good too.

I have since shifted aesthetic gears somewhat and had SARGE make me an amazing set of stag grips for it. Sarge has a Taurus too and needless to say they fit perfectly and look fantastic.

If one is looking for a new set of grips for your PT1911, I don't think that it is 100% necessary to get Taurus-specific 1911 grips - at least not in my experience.
However, and this is my point, RAASCO makes such a huge selection of grips at such very reasonable prices that one would be cheating oneself if RAASCO was not given a very hard look before buying 1911 grips for a Taurus - or any other 1911 for that matter.
The fact that he is a really nice guy doesn't hurt either.

Now, if you want a set of museum quality grips, then Sarge can fix you up with anything you want at unbeatable prices too. Like I said, Sarge has a Taurus himself and will make all the necessary aesthetic and functional adjustments desired.

Just because it's a Taurus doesn't mean that you can't pamper it a bunch.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 11-13-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Banned

I found this one. Raasco midnight black on factory finish pt 1911b.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM

These came on my Taurus, but I would easliy pay 50$ for them.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

Just for you guys, and with decent light available: raasco heritage brown on black spray and bake.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:04 AM

those are the one's chuntaro...especially those beautiful black one's...I really need to pick some of those up for my PT 1911 AL...

Bill