Stock Taurus Sights. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 AM

Stock Taurus Sights.

I have been looking at the all of the beautiful, hard-core pictures here in the "Show us yours" thread. I have been through all of the pages and the one thing I see as a constant is the Stock Taurus Sights.

Is this because sight makers dont make any for the Taurus that dont require machining? Or the ones they do make arent as good looking, or dont make them at all?

This was the first thing that popped out at me looking at all of your wonderful pistols. I am getting a PT1911 soon so just trying to get all my ducks in a row so when it gets here I know what I'm in for.

Peace
Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 PM

The tritium sights that came on my PT1911 are made by Trijicon. Don't see the need to change unless I wanted to go with a fully adjustable rear sight.

MikeyB
Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM

Both Novak and Heinie make Taurus-specific night sights to replace the factory supplied sights on the Taurus. Taurus slide dovetails are slightly different than dovetails used on other Novak or Heinie products.

Brownell's sells them.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Dawson makes front fiberoptic sights for Taurus in differant heights. I wanted a fiber optic and mine shot slow so killed teo birds with one stone. And yes Taurus dovetails are not standard so you need to be sure the sight you get is correct.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM

I am new to the forum and trying to get things posted in the correct place. I just bought a PT1911 9mm. I read several of the posts on sights, factory and after market. So I have a silly question. Are the factory sights on a PT "Novak" sights? On the one that I bought the rear sight has the white dots and is stamped "NOVAK" on the top. Cannot see anything on the front sight but it has the white dot also. Also, are these what are considered night sights. Just wondering if they are the originals or if they have been changed out. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Can the Taurus dovetail be machined???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Both Novak and Heinie make Taurus-specific night sights to replace the factory supplied sights on the Taurus. Taurus slide dovetails are slightly different than dovetails used on other Novak or Heinie products.

Brownell's sells them.
Can you have the Taurus dovetail machined to accept the more standard sights???
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Anything is possible! I do not know if the Taurus cut is smaller or larger than the standard cuts. It's usually easier if you do not have to add metal!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firme67 View Post
I am new to the forum and trying to get things posted in the correct place. I just bought a PT1911 9mm. I read several of the posts on sights, factory and after market. So I have a silly question. Are the factory sights on a PT "Novak" sights? On the one that I bought the rear sight has the white dots and is stamped "NOVAK" on the top. Cannot see anything on the front sight but it has the white dot also. Also, are these what are considered night sights. Just wondering if they are the originals or if they have been changed out. Thanks.
If the sights only have a white dot then they are not nite sites. Nite sites are tritium and will glow in the dark.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 AM

Taurus makes and installs Novak (under license) and used to make and install Heinie Straight Eights (under license)...they shouldn't be night sights unless someone changed them out...there are options to use the Taurus/Novak cut (not a standard Novak cut) slide...good luck with yours...I like my Novak's as is so far

Bill
Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 AM

Everything I've read so far indicate standard dovetail cuts for sights are either 60 or 65 degree cuts. Taurus uses a 62 degree dovetail cut. you may be able to modify some existing sights or have the slide milled to a standard dovetail, but it's better to just get night sights that are cut to the Taurus cut.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

On the taurus 1911, the rear sight dovetail cut is sort of like a real heinie but Taurus opted to make the cut in a different location than heinie. What does this mean to you? You are limited to the few options marketed as Taurus 1911 direct replacements or a weld up (Dutchman) and start over (expensive). Even then you will have some limitations such as colt faces due to the firing pin safety.

Last edited by chuntaro; 06-06-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Proof reading in the nine ring....
Old 06-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

This picture shows the difference between a Novak LMC-01 standard 1911 cut and a licensed Taurus Novak riding in the modified heinie cut. Confusing terms to be sure. I posted this awhile back to repond to guy who said they were the same. You have to be careful on the net. Some rumors can cost people money if they believe.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM

I just ordered a elevation adjustable rear sight from Novak for my pt 1911. This sight is suppossed to have the correct cut for the Taurus dovetail. Novak does not list it on their website so you need to call them. It is avialable plain or with white dots or with Tritium. I'll post more info after I get the sight.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM

If you have a problem with your Taurus PT .45 shooting low, remember the standard sights are combat sights, and you should put the front sight exactly where you want the bullet to print. If it still shoots low like mine, I sent mine to Novak and had and adjustable rear sight installed. It made a hugh difference.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 AM

I have not switched my Taurus sights because they are dead on and I kind of like the Heinie straight 8 sights.