Taurus 1911 powder blast back - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM

Taurus 1911 powder blast back

Hi guys, i'm new as of today....my question is if anyone has had any issues of powder or debris blasting back in your face while shooting. I know this is a serious issue. I've had several rounds (thousands) put through mine with no issues. I'm using a target load ammo that i load myself, 4.6 grains of ww231 powder and a 230 gr. RN Cast lead bullet. This issue happens with all types of ammo, factory or hand loaded. I had a feeling the barrel wasnt locking up all the way or something is keeping it from just barely closing. I recently replaced the spring and firing pin spring with a Wolff 16lbs spring and still have an issue. My question is, should i look into a barrel link, or a bent extractor holding me open or am I due for a new barrel bushing? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 AM

i registered just to say your not alone lol, i just got mine the other day and within 30 rounds she was kicking back powder at me
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM

I'm going to assume that your cases are not burst. My issue with my PT1911AR using warm reloads is that the unsupported barrel did not fully encase the round and the pressure would blow out the bottom of the case. I did not have that problem with my Colt, but I had a Bar-Sto barrel in that one. I have since relegated the Taurus to factory only and reloads in my Kimber and Colt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM

I had this happen to me just yesterday. My PT 1911 is just one week old today. Yesterday I put 80 rounds thru it for a total of 155 rounds total. All factory loads. Yesterday I was shooting Magtech 230 Gr. FMJ and Blazer Brass 230 Gr. FMJ. It happened 3 times in 80 rounds. It was a sharp sting to my face each time. I have no idea which ammo I was using when it happened.

This does not seem like something that should be normal. What might be causing this to happen?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

We used to experience this a great deal with revolvers with some ammunition but affecting shooters to the sides, not directly behind. In a semi auto, there is no port or gap to channel anything to the rear. If the fired brass looks good, trash, for lack of a better word to describe un burned powder and spent powder residue, it can only be coming from the ejected brass and ricochets from any remaining gases out of barrel. I would look to at least revising your load, loading protocol, powder selection or ammo selection if this comes from any factory stuff. There is no reason other than thrills or carelessness for hotrodding 45 acp. Olin ball powder may be very popular in some military applications but it would be my last choice in handguns of any kind and shotguns of the semi auto variety.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM

mine are store bought, it could be from the brass and powder not being burnt fully, some case look pretty cooked though
Old 10-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
If the fired brass looks good, trash, for lack of a better word to describe un burned powder and spent powder residue, it can only be coming from the ejected brass and ricochets from any remaining gases out of barrel.
I didnít think of looking at the brass. Nothing out of the ordinary stood out as I picked up the brass. Would it be powder I got stung with, and would it be from any of recent fired brass around the brass I got stung with? In other words, would any of the brass I was shooting during getting hit in the face show the signs, or would it have to be that specific piece of brass? That would be impossible to find.

Next time it happens, Iíll stop, and pick up some brass and make a note of what I was shooting at the time. I shot a mixture of Magtech and Blazer Brass when it happened, so I have no idea which it was. That was the first time Iíve used Blazer Brass in the PT 1911. All before has been Magtech and a box of S&B with no problems. My main concern was the gun. It is only a week old with 155 rounds thru it. Iíve only experienced this once before, and that was with a .22. Actually, lots with that gun. All CCI Mini mags. I donít trust that gun, but the PT 1911 is another animal. So you are sure itís the ammo and not the gun?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Wingspar, check around the primer pocket on the spent cases sometimes loose primer will allow blow back that can damage the breech face by pitting in the shape of a donut around the firing pin hole if the breech face has not been heat treated enough, in our case the PT1911 is guarantied for life and if pitting occurs a new slide will be installed by Taurus.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Last edited by rotciv; 10-13-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Banned

Events that allow hot gas to escape between the primer and primer pocket will not allow material through unless the event is catastrophic in nature. The gas will be reflected forward by the breech face.

In a gun capable of repeated firing, trash can only come from the forward hole in the case or an accumulation in the gun.

Power flying at sufficient velocity can break the skin. It is not likely flying brass.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 PM

There is no way I could find the empty casings that caused this. Iíve put another 85 rounds thru it using only Blazer Brass since I last posted and have not had a recurrence of getting hit in the face. Below is a photo I just took.

Iím beginning to believe this might be ammo related. No skin was broken, but it stung. Below is a link to a slow motion video. Tho it is not a 1911, it is a .45 ACP, and he is using the same ammo as one of the two different brands of ammo I was using that day. He was using Magtech 230 Gr FMJ. Take note of the flame and flying sparks at 0:48 in the video. Is this normal, and could one of those flying sparks be what I got hit with? The video was shot at 960 frames per second, and shows the action well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREtrM-F470&feature=plcp
Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

I would not say normal and I would not say abnormal. I is merely a combination of some powder in some cases with some primers. Some combinations are dirtier than others.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM

I had this happened with some of my hotter reloads. Using Hodgdon Longshot.
Switched to differ powder and no issues
Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Never mind. I just realized I was repeating my last post and I can't delete this one. I'll update with new info when I can get to the range when and if this rain ever stops.

Last edited by wingspar1; 10-23-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Never!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 PM

An update for those that may be following this thread. Well, Iím convinced it is the ammo and not the gun. Specifically the MagTech 230 Gr FMJ in my case. A couple of days ago I put 15 rounds of Blazer Brass 230 Gr. FMJ thru it and the breech looked like it hadnít been fired. Then I put 15 rounds of the MagTech thru it and lots of pieces of powder all around the breech. Photo below. While still shooting the MagTech, I moved further from my targets so that I was in the sun which was in back of me, and the targets were in the shade. The amount of powder flying out of the gun with each shot was like watching a waterfall. I got stung in the hand a few times. Then I switched to the Blazer Brass with the sun to the back of me and targets in the shade, I saw absolutely nothing but the brass being ejected. There was one time while shooting in the shade I saw a huge fireball and lots of sparks coming out with the brass while shooting the MagTech. Still have about 100 rounds of the MagTech left. When itís gone, no more in .45 ACP. Magtech has always been good in 9mm.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 AM

Mic your rounds. you may have gotten a box or 2 of Magtech's that are slightly smaller diameter and if the brass is slightly thicker, may not expand out completely to seal the breach. Also, have you performed a complete strip and cleaning as there will be the adhesive-lube used by Taurus that will be found every time you field strip it.
You should have around 4-500 rounds before the 1911 is fully broken in give or take a hundred rounds. Stick with cleaner FMJ rounds for your break in. Blazer Brass and PMC's seem to do a good job where as Winchester White box and tulammo should be avoided as the shoot incredibly dirty. I would also stay away from reloads during the break in process to remove other variables.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Outside Diameter of Unfired Blazer Brass 0.470

Outside Diameter of Unfired Magtech Brass 0.470 - 0.471

Outside Diameter of Fired brass, both Blazer and Magtech 0.474

Wall thickness of fired Blazer 0.010 to 0.012

Wall thickness of fired Magtech 0.010

All dimensions taken with calipers.

The inside of the Blazer Brass casings are clean.

The inside of the Magtech brass casings have the same powder fragments as seen in my last photo.

I field stripped, cleaned and lubed the gun before putting a single round thru it, and it has been field stripped and cleaned twice since. Last time was before last range trip. Detailed stripping is beyond anything I plan on doing. I just donít think I am someone who should be attempting a detailed stripping of any firearm.

So, my conclusion is that it is the Magtech ammo that is spewing hot powder that is still burning. I do not reload, so my knowledge of powder and loads is zero. I donít shoot reloads. I currently have a total of 385 rounds thru the gun

Any other opinions and thoughts on this subject are welcome.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 AM

I have found that powder blast back occurs when I reload use slower powders or soft loadings of fast powder. It is because of the powder not fully burning. Easy solution use moderate to high loadings and the powder fully burns. I have seen factory rounds do this that use magnesium in their powder like TULA and WOLF.

As far as the unburnt powder on the breech it could be a problem with the primers not containing the blast or shake off of powder during extraction.

Hornady LNL AP Press - RCBS Rangemaster 750 Scale - RCBS Lock-Out Die (get one it could save your gun and fingers)
Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 AM

I had a similar experience with Magtech ammo in my Taurus TCP which is of course .380, but same results nonetheless.

I have not tried Magtech in my 1911, but from the looks of your experience, I won't be.

BTW, to the OP, what part of Oregon are you in?? I am west of PDX myself.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

I have used mag tec but only in 38 super and it has been at least two years. No problems with it. I am certain the difficulty expressed here is in the 45 acp mag tec ammo and not the gun. I have an associate that has folks using mag tec in different calibers and they are reporting no problems. He also has some current mag tec super on order for me to test. There is a chance I can have some of their 45 acp and 9mm for testing as well.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt2075 View Post
As far as the unburnt powder on the breech it could be a problem with the primers not containing the blast or shake off of powder during extraction.
Since I donít reload, my knowledge on that subject is zero. I do know that I will not buy any more Magtech Ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajablast View Post
I had a similar experience with Magtech ammo in my Taurus TCP which is of course .380, but same results nonetheless.

I have not tried Magtech in my 1911, but from the looks of your experience, I won't be.

BTW, to the OP, what part of Oregon are you in?? I am west of PDX myself.
Actually, if you feel like giving it a shot, Iíd like to hear others experiences with the Magtech in .45 ACP.

Iím on the S.W Coast. Been 3 years since Iíve been in Portland. Used to make trips up there in the summer to get away from the cold windy coastal summer weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
I have used mag tec but only in 38 super and it has been at least two years. No problems with it. I am certain the difficulty expressed here is in the 45 acp mag tec ammo and not the gun. I have an associate that has folks using mag tec in different calibers and they are reporting no problems. He also has some current mag tec super on order for me to test. There is a chance I can have some of their 45 acp and 9mm for testing as well.
It seems like I have shot some Magtech in 9mm, but itís been a long time, but I donít remember any problems. If you get some Magtech in .45 ACP, Iíd like to hear how it works for you.

I just found a good deal on some PMC in .45 ACP and ordered 500 rounds of it. Iíve shot PMC in .45 ACP in my Sig P220 before, but itís been a while, but I remember it being very dirty. I really like the Blazer Brass in .45 ACP. Burns clean. Should have bought more of it, but was too cheap to pay 6 cents per round more than the PMC.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM

im using wolfammo, the canadian stuff, and i was gettin pelted all night tonight,every other shot, have macro pics of the internals that i can upload later but its just covered in debris
Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfsabch View Post
im using wolfammo, the canadian stuff, and i was gettin pelted all night tonight,every other shot, have macro pics of the internals that i can upload later but its just covered in debris
Wolf Ammo is Russian steel cased ammo. Iíve only used it in my AK. Itís good stuff in rifles, but donít know anything about it in handgun ammo. Post the photos if you can.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar1 View Post
Wolf Ammo is Russian steel cased ammo. Iíve only used it in my AK. Itís good stuff in rifles, but donít know anything about it in handgun ammo. Post the photos if you can.
sorry we also have a canadian manufacturer called wolf, its factory reloaded