Parts Interchangability? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 PM

Parts Interchangability?

I have a chance to pick-up a PT 1911 9MM at a pretty good price, but I don't care for the extended beaver-tail or ambi-safety on any of my 1911's. Does anyone know if stock clone or Colt parts will interchange with the Taurus components?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1550vt View Post
I have a chance to pick-up a PT 1911 9MM at a pretty good price, but I don't care for the extended beaver-tail or ambi-safety on any of my 1911's. Does anyone know if stock clone or Colt parts will interchange with the Taurus components?
Either part is going to require fitting. I can't speak to the beavertail, but I have an Ed Brown single side safety on mine. I had a gunsmith install it.

Colt 45: The Single Action Army, the M1911, and a liquor
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
Either way, if someone needs to get/be wasted, there's a Colt 45 for the job!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Banned

Well you could learn to live with those parts just this once or you could spend some money. The frame tangs are pre-forged for a 250 radius beavertail such as an eb, sti, cmc etc. Now if someone makes a gi gs for pre radiused frame tangs, it is news to me. You could have a weld up done. Best do it to commander frame spec to keep using a round hammer. Or I guess you could go gm spec and switch to a spur. The thumb safety can be done but this is more complex than buying one and sticking it in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 06:24 AM

Think I'll pass. I prefer the more "mil-specish" 1911's and have never grown into all the fender-skirts and mud-flaps on the new guns. I have owned a PT 1911 45 and it was a great gun. Let e buddy beat me down until I finally sold it to him. Other makers build a 9MM closer to mil-spec.....so I will head that way.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed86 View Post
Either part is going to require fitting. I can't speak to the beavertail, but I have an Ed Brown single side safety on mine. I had a gunsmith install it.
You got a picture of that single side safety?
Thinking of doing the same and wanting to see the end result.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Captainpalace; 10-11-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 AM

I had planned to buy the gun and check to see if one of the safeties on one of my other 1911's would fit....as well as the beavertail, but I don't want to have to grind-up anything to make it work. I don't actually have a spare one, but was going to purchase one if I thought I could change it. The single (left side) thumb safety simply has a longer shaft that fits all way through the frame into the hole where the right side thumb safety installs. The ambi-safety sort of meets and "plugs in" inside the frame. All that holds the right thumb safety in is the cutaway slot in the right grip panel. One would likely have to hand-fit a left-side-only thumb safety as the "cut" on those have to be very precise to lock the sear engagement.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Banned

You would not have to grind anything until you add material on first. Making your frame GI style would be expensive. Taurus looked at what folks were doing to 1911s in the aftermarket and pre fabricated things to make it less expensive made from the start instead of redone in the aftermarket. Taking one of their frames and going in reverse would be counter productive for lack of a better word. The thumb safety alone would be no big deal for a thumb safety pro install guy. Some work for a novice though.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM

I wanted a single side safty on my PT 1911. I had a old Para P13 single side safty that is the GI style. Not the extended kind. Out of curiosity I tried it and it fit just right. All aspects of the safty worked just right. I took it back out and compared the inside of the safty under a magnifying glass to the Taurus one. All of the angles and cuts seem to be the same.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

Sometimes luck is on your side.