Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM

My SS arrived today!

Hey guys!

The day has finally come!

CONTINUE READING(if you want to hear the story)

I went to my dealer to pick up my pt1911ss that I had ordered from BUDSGUNSHOP.($620)

The transfer was $25 and I also picked up 2 boxes of estate 230gr ammo($20 each box)100rounds

Took her home and checked her out.. wasnt too impressed by how the slide slid.. also the slide was loose from side to side and very stiff to pull back. Also the grip safety was super hard to press in.

*i know from reading many other articles/posts that its really necessary to clean your gun before use(especially the Taurus)

So I detail stripped it down to the frame itself.(took 4 hours with reassembly)
[remember this is my first 1911 and handgun in general and I took my time and inspected each part]

I was amazed! by how dirty the gun was... there was black thick sandy oil EVERYWHERE!! and that smell.. it also had a few foam patches and fuzz deep in the corners.
The extractor/firing pin was filled with gunk as well.

So after cleaning each part I decided to bend back the searspring so that the grip safety would engage more easily.

(I decided to youtube to find out how to put it all back together again because there were so many small pieces(especially around the hammer/firing pin area)

So I attempted putting the slide back together and after a few tries it worked.(the firing pin stop was a b*tch to get out)

Now the youtube I was watching just put the sear and dis-connector in place and popped it back into he gun.. well the pt1911 I guess comes with 2 extra parts..(1.trigger bar lever and 2.firing pin block lever)

no video showed where and how they fit in the gun. So after a long time... I figured it out lol(very tricky to line up all the holes for the 2 pins to go through) any tricks?

After cleaning/lubing the 1911 it slides and feels great. No more slide movement from side to side and the slide slides very smoothly and easily now. The grip safety is perfect now.

The only complaints I have now is that the mag release button is very hard to press in. Any fix?

Ill upload pics as soon as I find out how to put them on the forums. Do I upload them to a website and paste the link here or is there a way to just place the picture on the thread?

thanks for reading guys! -Ill be going to the range this weekend to shoot 100 rounds or so.. ill keep you guys posted.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Search YouTube for a video by user name: icoach73. He has a great video for disassembly and another for reassembling.

" The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright; but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness"
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk74 View Post
Search YouTube for a video by user name: icoach73. He has a great video for disassembly and another for reassembling.
Wish I had this video when I was stuck..
Thanks for the video!

I did it without a toothpick.. smh

Last edited by JokerGT; 10-23-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 PM

That is the best assembly video I have found for the series80 1911.

Glad you got it(I saved it as a favorite)

Never had a toothpick around. I just managed to figure it out.

" The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright; but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness"
Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 AM

Up load pictures to imagaeshack and copy the link for the picture you want to post, past the link in the post and when it is up loaded ofter you're post has been completed it will show the picture.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 PM

after "shooting" endless rounds of snap caps through the mags and gun.. everything feels a lot better..

I am going with a group of guys to the range Saturday morning to test this bad boy out!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 AM

One thing to try before you go to make sure you got the 80 series parts back in the correct way is to put a pencil (eraser end) into the barrel point the gun up and pull the trigger. If the pencil does not come out of the gun it is not put together right. The pencil should fly out of the gun when struck by the firing pin. First time I ever took apart a series 80 I thought I had it put together correctly and I found out that it wouldn't fire, every thing worked except the firing pin block would not let the firing pin hit the primer. Pencil is a very good check.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
One thing to try before you go to make sure you got the 80 series parts back in the correct way is to put a pencil (eraser end) into the barrel point the gun up and pull the trigger. If the pencil does not come out of the gun it is not put together right. The pencil should fly out of the gun when struck by the firing pin. First time I ever took apart a series 80 I thought I had it put together correctly and I found out that it wouldn't fire, every thing worked except the firing pin block would not let the firing pin hit the primer. Pencil is a very good check.
will try when I get home from work.. thanks!(it does seem to work when I dry fire) - I hear the click, and hammer drops.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Make sure the firing pin is not stuck forward and sticking out of the breech face - it's a common mistake when reassembling a Series 80-type.
Assemby trick - grease the sear/disconnector and safety levers so they stick in place - the grease won't hurt anything and it holds the parts in position while you pin them.
Before finishing with the slide, see that the head of the firing pin is protruding a little from the firing pin stop plate. Take a small punch and push the firing pin in - it should stop before protruding from the breech face. Release the pin and it should protrude through the stop plate.
After full assembly of the pistol, use a pencil as above to verify the FP is working. Retract the slide and double check that you do not see the firing pin sticking out of the breech face.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:51 PM

thanks guys..

I just tested out the pencil test and it shot out 10 feet.

Everything seems to be fine.. except when there is 8 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.. the mag doesnt freely fall out of the gun when hitting the slide release...

and when I hold the frame upside down when trying to place the slide back on.. the little firing pin block lever sticks out prevent me from sliding the slide onto the fame.(i have to slide it forward again and push the firing pin block lever down before I can slide the slide on the frame.

is that normal?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Normal, yes. Don't forget about it and slam the slide closed!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Just got done cleaning my 1911 after my first day at the range! Had a misfire but then after that everything ran very smoothly..(estate ammo)

I LOVE THE TRIGGER AND THE ACCURACY OF THE GUN.(going to be spending lots of money on ammo)

The recoil is perfect.. overall VERY FUN to SHOOT!(like all of your know)

After 100 rounds the gun was FILTHY!(took a while to clean)

I am going to try and get back to the range ASAP.. but before I do I am going to look into other ammo.. any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Just use Wal-Mart Federal bulk box it isn't to bad.