Novak adjustable rear site with Taurus cut - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 AM

Novak adjustable rear site with Taurus cut

I just received my adjustable rear site from Novak. It works great! It was a snug fit into the stock Taurus dovetail. It took a little persuasion to get it drifted into place. No locktite needed! My origional Taurus site was pretty loose. The adjustment range should be great for anyone with a stock Taurus front site that has a problem with shooting low. I had already changed the front site to the shortest available Dawson fiber optic sight but it was not enough to correct the shooting low problem. Now with the low front sight and the elevation adjustable novak sight adjusted as low as it will go it shoots a little high. But I can live with that! Much better than shooting low. I greatly prefer a six oclock hold to a 12 oclock hold! You need to adjust windage by drifting the site the same as the stock sites. The site has two set screws to keep it on the gun and a really tiny set screw to hold the elevation setting in place. The taurus dovetail cut site is not listed on Novaks web site you need to call and order it. It is available in plain black, white dots and Tritium dots. It looks the same as the adjustble site on their website but with the Taurus dovetail cut. Which is 62 degrees instead of the more standard 60 or 65 degree dovetail. No machining required on the Pt 1911! I did have to do a little filing on the slide to allow enough clearance for the front of the site to clear the slide but nothing major. Hope this helps some of the taurus owners who are struggling with the low shooting problem and prefer to fix it themselves rather than sending the gun back!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:26 AM

I had the same low shooting problem and bought the Novak rear sight. It corrected my problem. Apparently the Taurus 1911 is notorious for shooting low. I had discussed the problem with others and some individuals suggested that the front sight was intended to cover the point of impact, which was a bunch of crap, because at any distance beyond 20yards the front sight would completely cover the target and how the heck are you going to control shot placement if your front sight is obstructing your view of the target. Just rambling, I guess I’m still not over the aggravation of having to replace the sight.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:15 AM
Banned

At fifty yards we used to set up the guns to shoot low and use a neck hold to send them into the ten ring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM

I had to buy the novak adjustable sight to fix the pt 1911 shooting low too. I did the install. Sights did the job. It now shoots where I point it
Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM

The first thing I noticed after shooting the PT1911 was it shot low. It definitely wants the front sight covering the bullseye. I think the next purchase is an adjustable sight.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 PM

Picture?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Novak Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick View Post
I just received my adjustable rear site from Novak. It works great! It was a snug fit into the stock Taurus dovetail. It took a little persuasion to get it drifted into place. No locktite needed! My origional Taurus site was pretty loose. The adjustment range should be great for anyone with a stock Taurus front site that has a problem with shooting low. I had already changed the front site to the shortest available Dawson fiber optic sight but it was not enough to correct the shooting low problem. Now with the low front sight and the elevation adjustable novak sight adjusted as low as it will go it shoots a little high. But I can live with that! Much better than shooting low. I greatly prefer a six oclock hold to a 12 oclock hold! You need to adjust windage by drifting the site the same as the stock sites. The site has two set screws to keep it on the gun and a really tiny set screw to hold the elevation setting in place. The taurus dovetail cut site is not listed on Novaks web site you need to call and order it. It is available in plain black, white dots and Tritium dots. It looks the same as the adjustble site on their website but with the Taurus dovetail cut. Which is 62 degrees instead of the more standard 60 or 65 degree dovetail. No machining required on the Pt 1911! I did have to do a little filing on the slide to allow enough clearance for the front of the site to clear the slide but nothing major. Hope this helps some of the taurus owners who are struggling with the low shooting problem and prefer to fix it themselves rather than sending the gun back!
Can you tell me where you bought your sights?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 PM

Directly from Novak. It's not listed on their website you need to call and ask for it.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:12 PM

I wonder if Taurus isn't mix-matching their .45 and .38 Super sights.

My PT1911 .45 ACP shot dead on right from the factory with the Heinie sights it came with.
I switched to the Taurus-specific Heinie night sights from Brownells and it still shoots dead on with amazing accuracy.

If Taurus didn't properly segregate the sights for the various PT1911 calibers that would possibly cause the sighting low issues.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 PM

Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 11:45 PM

Thanks Burgs, your correct, they stock them for Taurus, did you buy both front and rears ?, My PT 1911 is in 38 Super.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM

I bought both front and rear Heinie tritiums. Another thing I like about them is that the Heinie tritium rear sights extends further back towards the rear of the slide making a more finished appearance.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM

I also put an adjustable Novak rear sight on my PT. A big improvement from the factory sights, but the new rear sight shot loose a couple of times. The set screws on this sight are very tiny. I am not smith but I don't think the screws are big enough to hold tight. I did recently send the slide back to Novak and they put a new sight on my PT free of charge. It shoots great now. Novak sights are great!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 AM

Must have pictures, so we can see what they look like.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 PM

look at Novaks web site. They are the same sights with the Taurus dovetail cut.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
Picture?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ