New CQB - new frame changes - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 AM

New CQB - new frame changes

I ordered this CQB in February and opted for 25LPI checkering instead of the usual 30LPI.

This frame is a little different than my aluminum CQB, X-Tac, and Compact.

This one has a thinner frontstrap and magwell is beveled into the MSH. I would imagine it slicks up a reload a tiny bit, but if you ever want to change the MSH it will add some work.

The checkering is not quite even from top to bottom or side to side but it’s pretty close. I really like the other frames better as they had just a little more meat on the frontstrap. This one is about like an Ed Brown. Not quite as thin as most Colts.

This pistol is a typical Wilson in that it was slick right out of the box. It ran 100% on ball and 147gr HST, which is it’s primary function in life. No break-in or goofy tricks. Just lube, load, and go to work.

For reference, the front of the steel baseplate is flush with the front of the grip on my other Wilsons and Dan Wesson.

Last edited by samuse; 07-22-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Nice CQB, I like the thinner front strap better. I enclosed a pic of my last WC, the front strap is really beefy. Yours is more like my other WC and EB. I seem to like the look better. The Vickers is still a great 1911, very smooth and accurate. One of my favorites.

I am waiting on a build now, hope I get that frame.

I really like the all black look of yours. Interesting to see how well the AT holds up on the barrel hood.

Enjoy shooting the new WC.
Attached Thumbnails
WC Vickers 2.jpg  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:16 AM

The one on that Vickers is the thickest one they had last year. Too thick, like a Baer.

I’ve had a barrel finished in black from Alchemy, it’s pretty close to Armor Tuff and it shows wear where the slide touches the hood and on the bushing end but I don’t mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
The one on that Vickers is the thickest one they had last year. Too thick, like a Baer.

Iíve had a ba
rrel finished in black from Alchemy, itís pretty close to Armor Tuff and it shows wear where the slide touches the hood and on the bushing end but I donít mind.
I am waiting on a CQB finished by Baron. I hope the frame is closer to yours than my Vicker's. I might be sick if its thick like the Vicker's.

Beautiful 1911 you have there. The wear on the hood and bushing will just show that you use it.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:14 PM

They're building me a couple of CQBs right now. One of them is a rebuild of a gun that had a frame like aaronsappl's. They tried thinning it a bit, but it didn't work out so they're building me a new gun. It'll be interesting to see if my guns come with this new frame.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
They're building me a couple of CQBs right now. One of them is a rebuild of a gun that had a frame like aaronsappl's. They tried thinning it a bit, but it didn't work out so they're building me a new gun. It'll be interesting to see if my guns come with this new frame.
Bradd, I wonder why the different changes in frames. When i purchased the Vickers, I thought it was the Vickers grips so I ordered a different set from WC without change. Not complaining about WC, but I would have thought since they make there own frames, they would all look alike.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:42 PM

Are we sure this is a new frame and not just the difference between a 45 frame and a 9mm frame? They're most certainly not the same size...at least they aren't on my 45 and 9mm CQB's but these are a few years old so I don't know how it compares to what they're building today.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:46 PM

The only thing that bothers me is that the checkering is not straight. It’s closer to the grip at the top and the whole right side is closer to the grip than the left.

It’s not the grips, these aren’t the ones that came on it.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:48 PM

These are the threads about my frame. When I got it back from Wilson it looked great at first. It was late when it arrived and I didn't have time to look it over very well. Once I did, though, it turned out the frontstrap was angled relative to the grips and the checkering was 25 LPI instead of 30 LPI. The MSH was still 30 LPI. Apparently, they do 25 LPI standard now (which I actually prefer). I contacted Wilson again and they had me send it in. After evaluating it, they told me they were going to build me a new gun.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=949642

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=961410

One thing I will say is that the service given by Wilson is like no other company I've dealt with. It is absolutely top shelf. Whether it be resolving my concerns with this frame, ordering a new build, or getting sights put on a few of my Glock slides, they go above and beyond.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me is that the checkering is not straight. Itís closer to the grip at the top and the whole right side is closer to the grip than the left.

Itís not the grips, these arenít the ones that came on it.
Like this?

Old 07-22-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Are we sure this is a new frame and not just the difference between a 45 frame and a 9mm frame? They're most certainly not the same size...at least they aren't on my 45 and 9mm CQB's but these are a few years old so I don't know how it compares to what they're building today.
All of mine are 9mm. Same frame as a 45, just cut for a ramped barrel.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
Like this?

Exactly like that. I know itís not a Supergrade, and it doesnít affect anything, but it is annoying considering I have 1911s that cost half what this one did and theyíre straight.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:45 AM

I’ve talked to a couple of people at Wilson about the differences I’m seeing between checkering, beveling, and trigger feel between pistols that spec’d out exactly the same.

They said they it was probably new gunsmiths that do things however they want.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:12 AM

Thanks for posting, this is the best looking undercut and front strap I have seen on a new Wilson in years. Hopefully a sign of what is to come. The super thick front straps had me all but writing off Wilson
Old 07-25-2018, 07:30 PM

After spending that kind of money I would not have been happy with that answer. I couldn’t live with the hacked checkering.

Quote:
I’ve talked to a couple of people at Wilson about the differences I’m seeing between checkering, beveling, and trigger feel between pistols that spec’d out exactly the same.

They said they it was probably new gunsmiths that do things however they want.

Last edited by RickRope; 07-25-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:13 PM

After looking at it a little more, I think your frame was cut for a magwell then they removed it after realizing the mistake or it’s a recycled frame.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:50 PM

That’s what it looks like to me too. Looks like it was one of the thick frontstrap frames with a magwell that was recycled. Scrap pile build.

I don’t dislike it, but it annoying that it not what I expected it to be.

Last edited by samuse; 07-26-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:19 PM

What caught my eye was the s/n being earlier than the current ones. From what I remember, didn't the 14*** s/n range have the thicker front straps?
Old 07-26-2018, 03:34 PM

My thick frontstrap frame was WC16.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:46 PM

Does the aluminum frame you have have a thick front strap like the Vickers Elite a few posts up?
Old 07-28-2018, 07:50 PM

Nope.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:06 PM

Which one do you like better? Both look great!
Old 07-29-2018, 03:14 PM

Is the length of the grip from front strap to MSH different? Or is it the placement of the grip screw holes that is moving where the grips sit in relation to the front strap?
Old 07-29-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBerger02 View Post
Is the length of the grip from front strap to MSH different? Or is it the placement of the grip screw holes that is moving where the grips sit in relation to the front strap?
The frame is thicker front to back. Here is what mine looked like before going back to Wilson.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
Which one do you like better? Both look great!
I like the aluminum one best. The frontstrap is just a little thicker than a Colt, but not ugly thick like a Baer. It fills my hand just right and I think they look perfect when the flat between the hrip and frontstrap is the same size as between the grip and MSH.

My aluminum CQB and X-Tac are like that.