1911Forum banner

Defense against an obese or extra big adversary?

18K views 152 replies 83 participants last post by  NetDoc 
#1 · (Edited)
since the M1911 only has 7 rd magazine for most standard sized pistols, whats the best way to take down an extra big bad guy? some guys are almost the size of a Grizzly bear

does a persons overall size have an effect on how hard it might be to take them down, I heard some ex pro football player sized guys can take several hits and keep on comming.

I remember seeing some video footage of a traffic stop and the big bad guy was able to keep fighting even though he had been hit numerous times.

#3 · (Edited)
Just think of the advantages of having a larger target.

Also, assuming that the use of deadly force is justified (i.e., the other person's conduct represented a real, immediate, and severe threat to you), it will be all that much more apparent in the subsequent legal review and/or judicial processes.

If you hit a critical organ (e.g., heart/center of mass), the size of the assailant probably won't make that much difference.

#103 ·
Just think of the advantages of having a larger target......

Undoubtedly it must be some sort of advantage, but jokes apart I've already wondered about the effectiveness of shooting agains somebody really fat and solidly built.

....If you hit a critical organ (e.g., heart/center of mass), the size of the assailant probably won't make that much difference.

In case of SD the attack comes from very close quarters, and supposing that one has got enough time to point his gun on time, in those few seconds is almost impossible to remain cold and be able to think "where" to aim.
IMHO.

#4 ·
Stopping a very larger threat with a handgun....

The major way to effectively stop a threat, whether human or a predatory animal, as quickly as possible is to disrupt the Central Nervous System. This means a good head shot, or having a reasonably powerful handgun that offers good penetration and can hit the spine. For me, a reasonably powerful handgun is a 9mm or larger caliber......I have no faith in a small .380, and would not even carry one as a back up gun....I use a compact 9mm if I ever feel the need for a BUG.

The Mozambique drill of two shots to COM then a third shot to the head is a good training drill, and will usually stop any two legged predator regardless of size.

If I am ever faced with a life or death situation, I won't be aiming at someone's pelvis to break their hip and disable them......they may still be able to return fire. I will be shooting to stop the threat as quickly as possible.....I train with the Mozambique drill quite often at 7 yds, and it is also part of the IDPA Classifier. Without a cover garment, I can usually draw and fire two shots to the zero down ring of an IDPA target and one to the head in 1.8 seconds or less.....a little slower if I am wearing a cover garment....

#6 ·
echoing what others have said, the more holes the better. 7 rounds placed in the right areas will probably do correct amount of damage. That being said, don't expect the person to drop to the ground instantaneously unless you get the round into the "T"

also: cardio

#9 ·
Just keep feeding them cheeseburgers.

The problem will solve itself.

#10 ·
Staying cool until he grabs you then you stick the muzzle into an eye socket and pull the trigger. It is messy but effective. If you can't get an eye socket, into the ear works well too. Also messy but effective.
Semper Fi

#12 ·
This!

Or at least give them a new way to look at it. :rolleyes:

#14 ·
I guess if I was not confident in a clean headshot and a larger adversary was bearing down on me I'd use my systemic knowledge of human anatomy and avery sharp knife to start carving them down...the femoral and brachial arteries aren't hard to reach even with a 2-3 inch blade and I would use the fact that I'm lean and in shape to outmaneuver...just because someone has their blood type listed as high fructose doesn't mean they're a skilled adversary.

#16 ·
Mozambique Drill

#81 ·
I prefer the NSR (non standard response). Rounds into target until he changes behavior (IE, drops). After I'm on target I much prefer delivering 4,5,6,7, etc rounds into the same spot (upper thoracic/CoM). Larger target and I'm not worrying about shifting from a huge target to a small one for a head shot. Heads are for snipers and anchor rounds :) Mozambique works fine on paper targets and looks cool in the movies, but too many variables at play for my liking.

Just think of the advantages of having a larger target.

Also, assuming that the use of deadly force is justified (i.e., the other person's conduct represented a real, immediate, and severe threat to you), it will be all that much more apparent in the subsequent legal review and/or judicial processes.

If you hit a critical organ (e.g., heart/center of mass), the size of the assailant probably won't make that much difference.
Great points!

The ability to hit a critical organ is where the function of size comes into play. Excess muscle and fat both play a role in penetration and the ability of the bullet to behave as designed. Take a 'strongman' type build for instance, someone who has a subcutaneous layer of fat with dense muscle under it. Much different than shooting a low BF/ectomorph type build.

#21 ·
Japanese 1911 - goes thru fat guys like butta . . . .

#22 ·
Unless the assailant is wearing body armor, the best target is still center of mass. Focus on the front sight - it's almost as good as proper sight alignment at close quarters.

The Army specified their new handgun, adopted in 1911, be capable of shooting through an horse. While some people are said to eat like one, I've never seen anyone that large. The eating part is also an exaggeration, as anyone who ever left a 50# bag of oats within reach can attest.

Even with soft armor, a double tap over the sternum or ribs is going to hurt, probably more than a penetrating wound. A shot to the head should be aimed at nose height, not eyes or forehead. That's the path to the medulla oblongata.

#23 · (Edited)
Mozambique Drill

When I practice the Mozambique drill, it is usually at 7 yds. I normally use an IDPA target. As the muzzle of the gun is recoiling upward from the 2nd COM shot, I press the trigger when the sights are in the center of the square area of the head...... I usually practice this drill without a cover garment, and will average about 1.8 seconds or better from the draw to firing three shots using my shot timer.

I never consciously look to shoot for the forehead or eye areas, I am simply trying to get the third shot centered in the head area. If you are consciously taking aim to the nose, you may be shooting slower than needed...... Any shot from a reasonably powerful hand gun that hits the head, nose, or mouth area should be effective to stop the attack.

Shooting for "the T" using a rifle can be very precise if there is enough time to aim precisely.....

#26 ·
Aim for the Vitals. Double taps while moving backward to create space. Maintain distance between you and the target is the best answer. Running away is in all respects a proper tactic.

If the guy is big enough running would be my first choice.

#27 ·
A large or obese individual will go down just as quickly as a smaller one if you shoot them center of mass. Extra fat or muscle doesn't make a person bullet proof. If you're trying to shoot them in the stomach where all their fat is located, then yeah there might be an issue, but you're not supposed to shoot them there.

#28 ·
There's a prevailing and Hollywoodesque misperception that big guys go down harder...most of the burly "tough guy" types I've met get by on using their size to intimidate others and they're generally all hat and no cattle.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.