1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the best 1911 movie?

821K views 3K replies 2K participants last post by  dsk 
#1 ·
Ok, here's something a little different:

As gun guys, a lot of you are probably like me in that the guns used in movies are as important as the actors. Since I've been watching lots of movies lately, I was wondering what everyone's opinion was for the movie with the most/best 1911 action in it?

Wind Talkers or SWAT gets my vote at the moment.

#2,877 ·
Reactions: DR505
#54 ·
F16DCC said:
Oh has anyone mentioned Platoon yet??? When William Dafoe takes a flashlight and a 1911 into the tunnels to search for VC. I couldn't imagine firing a 45 inside an enclosed space like a tunnel- talk about LOUD!!! That movie is up there in my top favorite movies as well. :rock:
I think I've read somewhere that the actual tunnel rats in Vietnam used any other pistol they could get their hands on except for a 1911 due to the 1911's heavy recoil and loud blast in enclosed spaces. When possible, .38s were used. Of course, that wasn't always an option, so 1911's went into many tunnels, I'm sure.

Yeah - all the Steven Segal movies feature him armed with 1911's (very handsome ones, too)

In A Few Good Men the Lt. Colonel (played by J.T. Walsh) blows his brains out with a nickel plated 1911, after he gets into his full dress uniform.

Reactions: Goldy49
#55 ·
horsesoldier03 said:
I cant believe that no one has mentioned the movie ROSEWOOD.
You can't? I know there are some bad movies already mentioned, but that was a real stinker.

#56 ·
Stick a 1911 in any movie for a decent length of time and I'll like it, but for me the best has to be Last Man Standing.

#57 ·
Anybody mention THE CODE TALKERS yet. Some pretty good 1911 handling in that movie too.

MARS ATTACKS has the General in the War Room blasting the head Martian with a pair of 1911s. (Slim Whitman saves the day. :D )

#58 · (Edited)
Misfit said:
In A Few Good Men the Lt. Colonel (played by J.T. Walsh) blows his brains out with a nickel plated 1911, after he gets into his full dress uniform.
Kick me out of the forums if I am wrong, but I was just sure Lt. Colonel Markenson used a Berreta in that scene.

Also, in 'Training Day' Didn't Hoyt shoot Alonzo (Denzel W.) with a 1911 that Alonzo pulled out from under the dash during their fight in the hood causing Alonzo to scream "Oh you mother-f....., you just shot me in the ass, Jake!"

#1,729 ·
I would have sworn that it was a nickel plated berreta too, and I know it may not be the best source but IMFDB.org it stands for Internet movie firearms database. I use it all the time if there is a gun I can't recognize in a movie or just interested in who makes the gun.

Also I'll add Expendables to the list if it hasn't been added.

#59 ·
James Coburn as Zach Provo in "The Last Hard Men" used a 1911 to shoot the phone off the wall. I've often wanted to do that myself. :)

#60 ·
"Sin City"

Some nice 1911's in there. One of them is a Springfield Arms of some kind but I haven't freeze framed it to ident which one yet.

#1,546 ·
I'm a huge Michael Mann fan...like he's just about my favorite director today (among my top few). He films gun battles better than Spielberg films aliens. :) I listen to his commentaries and he's a stickler for the actors being really professionally trained with real firearms and LIVE FRICKIN' AMMO by his special forces buddy. Tom Cruise had never fired a real gun before Collateral and he learned quickly. Plus, although Peter Berg directed it, Mann produced The Kingdom and the shooting scenes in that are amazing (no 1911 love, though). Plus, Mann rode along with LAPD and was permitted to have a firearm if I recall correctly when preparing Heat (my fave flick this side of Casablanca and Blues Brothers). That seems way unusual (esp in strict California) but maybe if you know the right people.

More on topic again, I watched the new Jesse Stone flick and it looked like he had a Gunsite Commander model and great techniques (chamber check, Harries, and one of the best tactical reloads I've seen since "Red" (Bruce Willis in the beginning)). It's called "Benefit of the Doubt".

#64 ·
gunslinger345 said:
Kick me out of the forums if I am wrong, but I was just sure Lt. Colonel Markenson used a Berreta in that scene.

"
U right.... I was gonna say the same but did'nt want to chance getting kicked out of the forum:rofl:

#68 ·
Last Man Standing has to be the best "1911 movie".
A favorite movie featuring a 1911 - Commander, actually - is Marathon Man.
A sort of goofie Hong Kong cop movie, called Double Tap, has virtually everyone packing a scoped racegun. The detective/hero is both the professional and competitive rival of a thrill-killing gunsmith! They turn the range command, "Are you ready?" into sort of a "Make my day!" theme.

#69 ·
Just now happen to be watching 'Red Dawn' and the first scene of the invasion of town had the 'they can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands' bumper sticker on a truck next to some expired patriot that had been using his 1911 against the commies. Always a favorite show of mine.

Reactions: Darkside007
#71 · (Edited)
Jim V said:
MARS ATTACKS has the General in the War Room blasting the head Martian with a pair of 1911s. (Slim Whitman saves the day. :D )
Haha! The General in that movie rocks. I like the part where he comes out of the meeting in which the President and his liberal advisors decided not to send the military to meet the Martians and complains loudly to his aide:

"They dont know what the **** theyre talking about! Liberals, Intellectuals, Peaceniks, IIIIIIDIOTS!!!"

#75 ·
JohnnieDavis said:
Anyone mention Band of Brothers yet? Definately the best movie/whatever it is i have ever seen!

JD
Band of Brothers was awesome, too - but I just don't remember a whole lot of 1911-intensive scenes. The one memorable scene with a 1911 in it that I can remember was actually a Hollywood gaffe - it's in the episode when the 506th liberates the Jewish concentration camp, and Private Webster starts to take all the cheese and bread from the local baker, who then complains loudly. Webster pulls his 1911 on the man, and it's wearing 3-dot white sights! :scratch:

But all in all - the finest miniseries of its kind, hands down. It followed the book to a T.

As far as A Few Good Men - I stand corrected. It was indeed a Beretta he killed himself with. It's just that, later in the movie, Tom Cruise's character mentions "nickel plated .45" when the gun was clearly not. I remember that it was a Hollywood gaffe as well.

It's too bad nobody in the movie Desperado used a 1911. Instead, Antonio Banderas' character uses a pair of Ruger P-90's. I almost bought a P-90 because of that movie!!!

#76 ·
Way of the Gun had some excellent technical direction when it came to gun handling and tactics. I love that movie.:rock:

It was a horrible film, but there are some great scenes of Alec Baldwin (I know, I know . . ) handling dual 1911's in The Shadow.

Good list so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.