1911Forum banner

School shooter in video games now?

3K views 74 replies 37 participants last post by  Nitro.45 
#1 ·
#54 ·
GTA is a pile of crap too! The values today are awful. I’m no saint, but to say you’re “OK” with the game?.........yeah that’s what we want our kids to be doing alright.
At least the backlash shut this stupidity down!
Nothin’ personal sluggy, this one just pissed me off!

#53 ·
Valve Inc. / Steam has dumped this game from their lineup, prior to release.

Not only because it's horrific, but also because the Russian game designer has a history of bad customer relations & skirting prior blacklisting by using aliases. Per the company's press statement.

So the company did the right thing. I'm not sure how Steam's/Valve's business model works but I think it may just operate a site where games get sold. Like an Amazon for games.

It could very well be that they had no idea this was going to be offered until the public backlash. Anyhow, they ejected the game & it's designer.

Of course he will probably return like a Herpes sore with a game called Rape Squad Seven under a different name. This is how sleazebags operate. Fake names.

#57 ·
I'm waiting to see the new and improved "Gun Free Zones" game where everyone in them wears a bulls eye. This is really getting out of hand to the point of being absurd. The sad fact is that some children associate Halo, Call to Duty and the new one mentioned in this thread to be reality.

And the parents simply let it slide by....

#61 ·
A conversation I had yesterday, in a bar, with an anti gunner. Names have been changed.

Bob: We didn't have school shootings when I was a kid. But then we didn't have the culture of violence that we have now. We need to restrict or ban violent video games, violent rap music, and many of the violent movies.

Ted: What about the First Amendment?

Bob: What about it?

Ted: All those things you want to restrict or ban are protected by the First Amendment!

Bob: No one wants to take away your First Amendment rights! But, are you saying that you are against common sense First Amendment restrictions? Do you want to have blood on your hands? Do you realize that over 70 percent of Americans want reasonable First Amendment restrictions?

Ted: Where in hell did you get THAT statistic!

Bob: The same place that you people (Yes, I said you people) get the statistic that over 70 percent of Americans want more gun control.

Ted looked at me, smiled and said, "Okay Bob, I see your point."

#63 ·
While nobody has studied video game effects specifically, the effects of immersion in violence and violent stimuli, as well as reward based conditioning on the human psyche are well documented.

#64 ·
My first reaction to this game was that it should be banned from sale. The more I think about it the more I realize I was wrong. That would be the same as banning certain firearms.

One post here mentioned that games are rated much like movies. Kids can't have them unless an adult buys them and gives them access. I'm not a gamer so I don't know how true this is. I do doubt that, if the restrictions are there, they are as well enforced as other age restrictions.

In most states you can't buy alcohol under 21 but , at least in Texas, a parent can give it to their child even in a restaurant. Handguns you have to be 21 to purchase, long guns - 18. Tobacco products require you be 18. Sixteen to drive a car in most places except in unusual circumstances. NC-17 or PG-13 age restrictions to get into movies.

Kids find ways around all these restrictions. Always have, always will. The best we can hope for is someone will step in and help before the situation gets completely out of control.

This time a company listened to the voice of the public and pulled the plug. The developer turned out to be a bad actor in the industry on several fronts and the company policed itself. This is the way it should work.

#68 ·
One post here mentioned that games are rated much like movies. Kids can't have them unless an adult buys them and gives them access. I'm not a gamer so I don't know how true this is. I do doubt that, if the restrictions are there, they are as well enforced as other age restrictions.

The ratings, and "restrictions" for both films and games is entirely voluntary. There is no consequence for violations. Theatres aren't particularly diligent about checking IDs for movies; likewise, a 12 year old can go into a retailer and buy any game he wishes, without consequence to either himself or the seller.

In most states you can't buy alcohol under 21 but , at least in Texas, a parent can give it to their child even in a restaurant.

Interesting... so in TX, you can give your minor child a bottle of bourbon, and send them on their way....?

Handguns you have to be 21 to purchase, long guns - 18. Tobacco products require you be 18. Sixteen to drive a car in most places except in unusual circumstances. NC-17 or PG-13 age restrictions to get into movies.

Kids find ways around all these restrictions. Always have, always will. The best we can hope for is someone will step in and help before the situation gets completely out of control.
I agree that kids can find ways around whatever legal restrictions are put in place- however, we can't simply dismiss such restrictions as 100% ineffective... they DO manage and reduce the regulated activity in targeted populations. Criminal penalties influance behaviors- few retailers will sell games to minors if there's jail time and huge fines involved, just as liquor stores generallymake an effort to avoid selling to minors- their licences and livelihood depends upon it...

Is there a 100% solution? Nope. Can the risk and damage be mitigated? Absolutely.

#65 ·
"causation" is a strong term. More like an influencing concept on impressionable people.

IMO, It would be very strange if these games did NOT affect some young folks..

Surfing games influence people to surf
Mario Kart
Football / sports games

Etc, can give kids the idea to try these things.

As a kid I saw Robin Hood. I made a bow right away.

#73 ·
Meanwhile, anyone who has seen the nuts/fans at ComiCon in San Diego knows that video games can greatly influence people.
Good point.

I was raised without a TV in the home so was kind of naive as to the influence of visual electronic media on people.

But just out of college I did one of the dumbest things of my life. I rode the bus from Nebraska to Virginia to attend a buddy’s wedding. I’ll never forget sitting in the Chicago Greyhound station for 3 hours listening to a group of 18-20 year olds discuss the WWF. One of them eventually wanted my input. I said something about kind of enjoying watching boxing but didn’t watch WWF because I didn’t like staged fighting. They all looked at me with open mouths. They had never heard such blasphemy. It was real to them. It was the central theme of their life.

Visual media is powerful stuff.

#71 ·
Interesting... so in TX, you can give your minor child a bottle of bourbon, and send them on their way....?
Not exactly- but under 21 can legally drink WITH your parent, assuming the establishment permits it. I thought it was defined with a min age though, like 19. ?

#72 ·
Ok... so it requires direct parental supervision...? Thar would be a significant control mesure....

#74 ·
FNHipowerluv: They wont have anything to say. The only major groups of people they hold accountable are the NRA, and the gun industry as a whole. What we consider moral decay (the real cause of these tragedies) , is what they consider "progressive" ideas.

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
John Adams

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.