S&W model 41 stiff safety - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-25-2020, 10:00 PM

S&W model 41 stiff safety

Purchased a new S&W model 41 last year. It has always had a stiff safety. I literally cannot flip it on or off with just my thumb. Is this a common problem? I thought it might break in over time but it has not gotten any better.

Suggestions
Old 01-26-2020, 06:29 AM

I've never handled one that wasn't stiff and difficult to engage.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:34 AM

Normal for a 41. As long as it stays in the off position,you're good. It's worse when it flops around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2020, 07:03 AM

The safety on mine is stiff also. Fwiw, i just got mine last week and never handled one before. As others have said, better stiff then loose. I just felt the safety on mine, the downward (fire) position has an audible click, where pushing to the upward (safe) position doesn’t. It’s definitely not a 1911 thumb safety.

Have you shot yours much? How do you like it?

Last edited by Plantar5; 01-26-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:45 AM

All 3 of the model 41 pistols that I have owned have had super stiff safety levers on them. I just put mine in fire position and forget it. It's strictly a target/plinking pistol for me so I don't worry about it.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:29 AM

Since this is a common problem, perhaps the aftermarket has addressed the issue with an oversized lever.

Check around.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
The safety on mine is stiff also. Fwiw, i just got mine last week and never handled one before. As others have said, better stiff then loose. I just felt the safety on mine, the downward (fire) position has an audible click, where pushing to the upward (safe) position doesnít. Itís definitely not a 1911 thumb safety.

Have you shot yours much? How do you like it?
I like it a lot. It is very accurate with very tight groups. Like shooting fish in a barrel. It is finicky with ammo. It doesnít like the cheap bulk ammo but I think thatís to be expected. Itís not like the gun wouldnít run it but you get mor fte and ftf with bulk. CCI standard velocity works well. Right now SK Standard Plus is my go to brand for 22LR ammo. I shoot it in my CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer and get 3/4Ē groups at 100 yards.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
All 3 of the model 41 pistols that I have owned have had super stiff safety levers on them. I just put mine in fire position and forget it. It's strictly a target/plinking pistol for me so I don't worry about it.
Yeah, thatís what I decided to do as well. I have a Volquartsen Black Mamba and the safety on that gun is on par with my 1911ís. Both guns are great shooters.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeedaudio View Post
I like it a lot. It is very accurate with very tight groups. Like shooting fish in a barrel. It is finicky with ammo. It doesnít like the cheap bulk ammo but I think thatís to be expected. Itís not like the gun wouldnít run it but you get mor fte and ftf with bulk. CCI standard velocity works well. Right now SK Standard Plus is my go to brand for 22LR ammo. I shoot it in my CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer and get 3/4Ē groups at 100 yards.
Iím seeing they are finicky with ammo too. CCI ran fine in mine also, stay away from Blaser, it didnt feed at all.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:42 PM

I have one made in the 1980s eats anything I mostly use thunderbolts
Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 AM

I don't understand why anyone would buy a pistol like this and then use crappy ammo.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
I don't understand why anyone would buy a pistol like this and then use crappy ammo.
dime size groups at 25 yards its not that crappy
Old 01-28-2020, 09:52 PM

A bullseye pistol doesn't really need a safety..
Old 01-29-2020, 08:22 AM

The only safety I've experienced that's any stiffer than a M41 is a Browning HP. Both of them are thumb eaters.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:02 PM

The M41 was never really intended to be used with the safety being flipped on/off. I think when I got mine I put it on safe once, took it off safe and its been that way ever since. These are range guns made for bullseye. The safety is there just because it has to have one according to the rules. Complaining about a M41 safety is like being displeased about the lack of precision sights on a SAA.
As for ammo, these things are built to run on CCI Standard Velocity and most other "target" velocity ammunition runs in them just fine as well. SV is down to $250 a case, shipped. Just buy 5,000 and have at it!
Jeff
Old 04-02-2020, 07:39 PM

I have one from the mid 90's and it has a stiff safety, and I prefer it that way.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:49 PM

Mine came back from S&W a few weeks back for a slidestop problem. They clearly went through the pistol and tuned it up, because the safety functions as one would expect.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:19 AM

I had a safety that was so loose and would go on from recoil along with my grip so high up on the frame. I took it into Smith when you could drop them off at the gate. They don't allow that anymore.

They had me bring it in and the gunsmith fixed it while I waited. It is stiff now and only goes on if you make the effort.

I really haven't used the safety since.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEH92 View Post
I have one from the mid 90's and it has a stiff safety, and I prefer it that way.
I agree! I hate a soft thumb safety, on any gun. Why would anyone want a thumb safety that can easily be knocked off safe, like when it's in your holster? Or why would anyone want a thumb safety that can be accidentally knocked to the on safe position when firing with less than a perfect grip?

The M&Ps are the worst. Those thumb safeties are the softest, mushiest thumb safeties on the planet. I called Smith and Wesson about how I could stiffen it up and their customer service rep thought I was crazy.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:58 AM

Mine is from the mid 60’s. Safety is still stiff. Actually don’t use it much at the range. The safety I mean. CCI standard velocity has always been the go to in these. S&W manual mentions it I think. You can polish the ball and detent to smooth it out. Carefully! I have the 5 1/5” barrel with a UltraDot Matchdot and the original 7 3/8” barrel with the break. My favorite pistol I think.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:00 PM

Mine is from the mid 60ís. Safety is still stiff. Actually donít use it much at the range. The safety I mean. CCI standard velocity has always been the go to in these. S&W manual mentions it I think. You can polish the ball and detent to smooth it out. Carefully! I have the 5 1/5Ē barrel with a UltraDot Matchdot and the original 7 3/8Ē barrel with the break. My favorite pistol I think.