1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-24-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
My apologies as well. It takes 2 to dance.
Nice to see you boys kiss and make up. Can we get a big internet group hug now
Old 01-24-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
Hickok45 had a problem with
the 2020 Python. He did NOT
bash it. He spoke up for Colt
and said he was sure it will
be worked out.

Similarly, not too long ago he
had a problem with a Smith
Model 19 Classic. He made
another video later with a
replacement and praised it.
Yep, and this proves my earlier example. The internet will gladly dogpile on Colt and declare everyone one of them overpriced junk, but treat the S&W for what it (and the Colt) actually is ( a lemon in a batch of guns that of which the majority are functional.).
Old 01-24-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
I own seven and had nine at one time. That's who...
Any new ones made in the past few or so years? If so, did you have to send it back? Is it highly reliable when past the 500 round break in period Kimber states these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
...And since you can't really walk into anywhere and get standard pressure defense loads in .38 Special anymore, my guess is most are carrying +P's and probably practicing with +P's in old aluminum revolvers.
I don't know about your area but where I am the department store and sporting good box stores have more regular pressure than +P.

My hunch is not many +P rounds go through J-frame revolvers.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I wouldn't say that's the best analogy. The Python is a product created for the public. The 1911 was developed as a military pistol first and foremost. The "issues" that were encountered were very different than issues with a modern revolver. The 1911 was made in an age when auto pistols were toddlers at best. And then it was put into military service...US military service. Which is pretty much the ULTIMATE test of ANY handgun (as we have seen).

Now if you compare say revolvers made before WWII, then no, there really wasn't any "public beta testing" that could be compared to today. Both Colt and S&W had something they don't have today...a team of quality inspectors at various stages of both manufacture and assembly. No one can afford to do that today, and with CNC verification it "shouldn't" be necessary.

The "public beta testing" of today is due mostly to the fact that handguns are not quality inspected like they used to be. That's because they're not made they way we used to make them.

What I will say is... Once a modern factory does get it dialed in, the guns are fantastic. I have ZERO doubt that Colt will get this all worked out. But "public beta testing" is a more recent thing (in the past 30 years), and it is here to stay.

Just for clarification...There are obvious exceptions to the rule with lower quality manufacturers. I don't consider Colt a "lower quality" manufacturer by any stretch of the imagination.
The issues with the 1911 had nothing to do with the fact that semi-autos were a new thing nor the fact that it was a military handgun. Some parts (the sear spring, trigger bow, recoil spring guide and plug) had actual design defects that required slight modification. No different than today when we still see design defects in new guns that need slight modification.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
...Lets hope colt comes up with a fix and fast. I can't take to much more internet bashing. All we need is another internet expert like mycock45 saying it don't work. I like some of his videos but I do not take his word as gospel. I don't care what he likes. He ain't me and I ain't him.
Quote:
Nice to see you boys kiss and make up. Can we get a big internet group hug now

First a profane twist on someone's nick-name, then ridiculing a couple of posters who behaved like complete gentlemen.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 PM

I don’t get name calling Hickok45. What did he do to deserve that?
Old 01-25-2020, 02:25 AM

As I picked up my 1938 Officers Model Target I was reminded of the level of quality inspection that used to exist at Colt. Under my serial number is a letter. That letter is the first letter of the name of the person who assembled the revolver. And if that revolver came back for repair, that person fixed that revolver on HIS time. Gives one a lot of incentive to do it right the first time.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:36 AM

Quote:
As I picked up my 1938 Officers Model Target I was reminded of the level of quality inspection that used to exist at Colt. Under my serial number is a letter. That letter is the first letter of the name of the person who assembled the revolver. And if that revolver came back for repair, that person fixed that revolver on HIS time. Gives one a lot of incentive to do it right the first time.
I wonder how these workers being members of the Union plays into all this.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
There were times inexperienced management and scabs have had to throw things together back in the '80s, due to strikes.

After working in a union plant, I learned that it is typically more difficult to fire a worker that isn't good at his job at a union plant, than a non-union plant. I'd wager it's the same guys/gals that make the lemons regularly, while some of thier coworkers display amazing workmanship.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
First a profane twist on someone's nick-name, then ridiculing a couple of posters who behaved like complete gentlemen.
I stopped supporting him when he stopped supporting the NRA.

I was not mocking them I was complimenting them. They had a few heated back and forth posts and then found a common ground.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
Any new ones made in the past few or so years? If so, did you have to send it back? Is it highly reliable when past the 500 round break in period Kimber states these days?
All my Kimbers are pre-series II (hear that AZ, I finally came around ) and I never had a problem with any of them that wasn't spring or mag related and they're as accurate as any of my limited production 1911's.
It just doesn't pay to generalize my friend. Your statement about Kimber owners makes you seem angry.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Union doesn't have anything to do with it...you can't do that anywhere anymore.

I have toured MANY gun factories, and of all the factories I have ever toured, Colts Union employees were the most productive, most competent, and happiest at their jobs. Colt's problems have RARELY been about the union. Colt has made a series of bad decisions almost from day one.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:19 PM

Stopped in the local shop today. 8 customers plus myself. 3 of them were talking about Colt and the new Python. None had seen one but based on THE INTERNET they decided wasn’t worth it. The one guy went so far as to tell me he was in there to get a DW 1911 instead of the Colt 1911 because” don’t know if they are messing them up as well”. I’m probably getting one once the rush is over and the truth hits the streets.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I don’t get name calling Hickok45. What did he do to deserve that?
I missed whatever someone called him, but he is a grade A fudd.

Quote:
I stopped supporting him when he stopped supporting the NRA.

I was not mocking them I was complimenting them. They had a few heated back and forth posts and then found a common ground.
The NRA has a problem that cannot be ignored. I think most see Wayne as a cancer that needs to be excised. He seems to be the biggest issue gun people have with the NRA. I am an Endowment Life member and am pissed off at the bull**** that's gone on. I think everyone should be.

I also think that while there are many other Gun Rights groups out there, none of them can rival the clout of the NRA. We cannot let the NRA die, but we can no longer support Wayne either. He has to go for the betterment of the organization. His buttkissers need the boot as well.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 01-25-2020, 10:42 PM
Administrator

When I started this thread I warned against Colt-bashing, so I see we're all bashing each other and YT personalities instead.

I don't know how anyone can call Hickok45 a Fudd when he reviews EBRs, bump-stocks and NFA items with reckless abandon. If he were a Fudd he'd review nothing but hunting rifles and tell viewers he won't let an evil assault weapon onto his "Compound". In fact I'm quite jealous of the toys he gets to play with because a lot of it isn't legal here in my state.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Union doesn't have anything to do with it...you can't do that anywhere anymore.

I have toured MANY gun factories, and of all the factories I have ever toured, Colts Union employees were the most productive, most competent, and happiest at their jobs. Colt's problems have RARELY been about the union. Colt has made a series of bad decisions almost from day one.
Yes.
Union workers normally are paid more and have better benefits. Many more people try to be hired for these positions. And of course, the better workers are among those wanting those jobs. The company is able to hire these better employees if they wish. They are faster and produce better quality items.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:12 AM

Meanwhile, back in the Colt Python thread...

Much as it pains me to admit it, I think Yankee Marshal might be onto something, at least in terms of cylinders unlocking. He demonstrates in a recent video with a legacy Python how short-stroking the trigger can lead to that. In a day and age where shooters generally have gotten used to and even expect short trigger resets, it's perfectly plausible that some of the malfunctions are user-induced. And as YM points out, that should have been anticipated by the designers to prevent breakage of critical lockwork parts.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:26 AM

I've handled three new ones in the past two weeks. Two had perfect triggers,(both SA and DA). The other one had a fine DA, but had a crunch in the SA. All three had bad crowns.

Hopefully, the bugs are already out of the current production and they added a final inspection step.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:54 PM

Does the 2020 Python have the same action as the new King Cobra?
Old 01-26-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
When I started this thread I warned against Colt-bashing, so I see we're all bashing each other and YT personalities instead.

I don't know how anyone can call Hickok45 a Fudd when he reviews EBRs, bump-stocks and NFA items with reckless abandon. If he were a Fudd he'd review nothing but hunting rifles and tell viewers he won't let an evil assault weapon onto his "Compound". In fact I'm quite jealous of the toys he gets to play with because a lot of it isn't legal here in my state.
Most of it stems from some shooting event he was at a year or so ago. I forget the exact one, but it had to do with someone showing up with a southern battle flag and how he reacted.

I don't hate the guy, but I find him super cringy to watch.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 01-26-2020, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Most of it stems from some shooting event he was at a year or so ago. I forget the exact one, but it had to do with someone showing up with a southern battle flag and how he reacted.
Without seeing video of the actual event I can't comment a whole lot, but I could easily see him feeling uncomfortable about being filmed standing near a Confederate flag lest the YouTube Secret Police find out and ban his channel.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Face View Post
Meanwhile, back in the Colt Python thread...

Much as it pains me to admit it, I think Yankee Marshal might be onto something, at least in terms of cylinders unlocking. He demonstrates in a recent video with a legacy Python how short-stroking the trigger can lead to that. In a day and age where shooters generally have gotten used to and even expect short trigger resets, it's perfectly plausible that some of the malfunctions are user-induced. And as YM points out, that should have been anticipated by the designers to prevent breakage of critical lockwork parts.
More like he has a real lack of experience with running a revolver DA.......
Old 01-27-2020, 08:16 AM

Back to the Python Thread biggest news to hit the gun market in years if you ask me and an answer to an item on my wish list. Go Colt
Old 01-27-2020, 09:00 AM

Whatever design / manufacturing / quality control issues might exist, I DO want a new Colt Python. Not usually being an early adopter of things, I'll wait until the kinks are worked out to buy one.

So far I only own one Colt firearm, an LE6920 AR15. That thing is fantastic. I have no history of heartbreak at the hands of Colt. So I only wish them well, including everything to do with the Python.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:29 AM

Not sure if it’s been asked yet, but I know it’s a new action and different from the king cobra/cobra. Does this new python lock up like the old ones? Im pretty sure that’s an outdated way of doing things but it’s such an iconic attribute of the python I’m curious if it still does it.