New 2020 Colt Python discussion thread - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-21-2020, 07:46 PM

They always get pushed down the road Dakota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
I am still piling money up. Want a new 6 inch to shoot next to my Python Elite I bought new in 2004 but on checking with Colt it was made in 2003.

But I am in no hurry and whenever I go into a gunstore I know I may see something I can't live without and a new Python may get pushed further down the road.
Until the day that you just decide to get one.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:50 PM

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-colt-python/
Old 01-21-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I am still piling money up. Want a new 6 inch to shoot next to my Python Elite I bought new in 2004 but on checking with Colt it was made in 2003.

But I am in no hurry and whenever I go into a gunstore I know I may see something I can't live without and a new Python may get pushed further down the road.
If you do get the new one I'd be interested in a side by side review with your Elite...
Old 01-21-2020, 09:07 PM

This is kind of nitpicking, but it would be nice if they put the cylinder stop back on the side plate, reprofiled the trigger, and got rid of the scan code (or put it somewhere less obvious.). These things aren't deal breakers, and I'll probably get one of these guns eventually, regardless. Little details, like I just mentioned could help this gun stand out more than it already does.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Agreed on all points, plus I wish the hammer was checkered as well.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 AM

And I know Colt puts the digital code under the MSH on the new 1911s. Couldn't they move it to under the grips like Ruger seems to be doing recently on SR1911s?

Old 01-22-2020, 06:01 AM

Kudos to Colt . A few issues have been reported that'll need to be addressed, so I'll wait 6 months. Now if Colt would bring it out with the "original" Royal Blue, they'd really have something.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
And I know Colt puts the digital code under the MSH on the new 1911s. Couldn't they move it to under the grips like Ruger seems to be doing recently on SR1911s?

Agree; I hope in the next 6 months ( my waiting time for Colt to fix the "bugs"), they'll relocate that cheezy looking digital code.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:43 PM

I was never familiar with the Python. I do remember it being described as a target .38. Can the new Python handle a steady diet of .357 loads. Ex: 158gr at 1250/fps?
Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 PM

This is a nice video comparing the “old” Python to the 2020 Python:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NiNrqhFNos

As to previous discussions, here are some points, and a “one stop shop” (at least as of today) about the current state of the knowledge concerning “issues” that have come up concerning the 2020 Python.

1. Hickok 45 is not a paid Colt Rep. Even if he is, his video truthfully reported that his 6-inch Python had a cylinder rotation failure when the hammer was operated in SA mode. He is returning the revolver to Bud's Gun Shop, from whom he obtained the revolver for T&E. Start at 31:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dO-lQEX49U

2. GoldenWebb also posted a video showing the same issue when the hammer was operated in DA mode, and in addition, there were several light strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0dJPxXmhtc

3. Ken Hackathorn, who either is now, or has been in the past, a consultant or contractor for Colt, has a video showing no malfunctions.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIzNDc...ken-hackathorn

4. At the opening of the 2020 SHOT Show, Mark Keefe, of NRA's American Rifleman Television, interviewed Paul Spitale of Colt, who basically denied that there is a problem, stating that Colt had been unable to replicate the problem in the "handful of guns" (less than 5) that have been shipped back of the 2,000 shipped so far. He claims sufficient indent on the primers, and discusses light strikes, and as to the rotation issues, he said they were "checking the hand," on one revolver, but were unable to "replicate the problem."

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-colt-python/

So, am I concerned? Yes, because I have seen the video evidence. I am unsure why Mr. Spitale hasn't seen the video proof, as he claims the Python was "his baby," and so I would think he would be curious to keep up on all of the reviews.

Further, Mr. Keefe refers to "someone on the internet" which may be a backhanded swipe at Hickok 45. Recall that Hickok 45 disassociated his You Tube channel with the NRA after management issues were alleged at NRA last year, so Hickok 45 could be on the NRA's "naughty list."

5. This guy acknowledges an apparent professional dislike for Hickok 45, and the title of his video simply accuses Hickok 45 of being either dishonest, or incompetent, theorizing that Hickok was "short stroking" the hammer. Since you cannot see HIckok 45s trigger finger, I take it as a theory he dreamed up, apparently being predisposed to want to belittle Hickok 45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Dbq1nLdX0

6. And, GoldenWebb updated his earlier video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rYSUidQAK0
Old 01-22-2020, 07:45 PM

Another problem video

A third Python customer with problems has now put up a video. So we have Hickok45, GoldenWebb and now someone who goes by Missourial Video Productions with similar problems. Yep, I'd wait for the bugs to be worked out before buying one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjbTx6hRes4

I like my 1978 6" blue Python, and don't feel the stacking others complain about. Maybe the LEO who sold it to the pawn shop I bought it from ($300) had some trigger work done. It also has the very nice, solid cylinder lock-up as soon as the hammer starts to drop that Python's are famous for. I'm wondering if the 2020's also have a solid cylinder lock-up, but haven't seen that shown in any of the video reviews yet.

The Hackathorn video, previously posted in this thread, does show no problems, and he says why he favors the 2020 over the old model and goes into detail why. But he also says in competition he favored the Smith & Wesson because of the older Python's trigger stacking. If he is a past or present Colt consultant, he's not being very loyal to the original Python! I have a friend with a wall full of NRA trophies he earned with his Python, so either he got used to the stacking, or had it worked over!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-QMXRst3s

Last edited by USNvet; 01-22-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:57 PM

What I’d love to see is commentary from a good revolver gunsmith who has seen issues with new Pythons and knows what’s causing the problems.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Administrator

I'll say it again, folks. The Python was released January 1st. It's only January 22nd, and already Colt is expected to have ironed out all the bugs? Give them time just to figure out what's going on before you start expecting them to come up with a fix.

I will admit it was an embarrassing roll-out, but Colt isn't the first to trip right out of the starting gate.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:56 PM

Anyone know what the warranty period is on these new Pythons?

Last edited by peacebutready; 01-22-2020 at 08:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-22-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
Anyone know what the warranty period is on these new Pythons?
Never mind. I checked. It is one year to original purchaser.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I'll say it again, folks. The Python was released January 1st. It's only January 22nd, and already Colt is expected to have ironed out all the bugs? Give them time just to figure out what's going on before you start expecting them to come up with a fix.

I will admit it was an embarrassing roll-out, but Colt isn't the first to trip right out of the starting gate.
Right on the money. It seems nowadays that the gun companies push the product out in the field and let the customers do the final T&E on them.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:08 AM

I would like a 6" to go with my 4" that I bought in 1975. Iconic looking gun IMHO.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 AM

May be a little premature but I'm thinking ahead. I believe different front sights will be available. What's available and where can you buy one? My old eyes don't see the red ramps that well anymore
Old 01-23-2020, 10:01 AM

Well heck. Iíve owned a bunch of guns from a bunch of different makers that had issues.
Had a Franchi Law 12 that got recalled because it could possibly fire if you flipped the safety off. Still have a Remington 700 Varmint that had a similar safety recall. Had S&W revos lock up. Still have a Nighthawk 1911 that when received you could flip the safety on with the hammer down. All those issues were fixed.
Iíve seen and read about even more issues with other guns. Anyone remember the Sig legion finish fiasco? Finishes were flaking off. Several folks on the Sig forum got complete new guns after having theirs refinished more than once. As mentioned the Sig P365 is now going thru some issues. I as others attribute this to growing pains and believe they will get worked out.

I would almost bet we will see 3 inch, 8 inch and other unique configurations in the future. In order to keep interest alive they will have to do that. I also think we will see a Royal Blue version for an added cost in the future. They still do that finish on their SAAs. So itís easy to assume a Royal Blue Python will be out soon enough.

I would like to see a video comparing new and old Pythons from the inside. Canít believe nobody has taken the side plate off one to compare inner workings of both?

Lastly there are an uncountable number of threads on all forums as well as even more posts that said Colt would never bring back the Python because blah blah blah.
And to all those people who said that I say CHOKE ON IT.
COTEP#782
Old 01-23-2020, 10:46 AM

Lots of pontificating......

Colt only owes anyone who bought one, a fix. They DON'T owe anyone an explanation.

That might be hard to swallow for some, but there it is.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:15 PM

I’ll post this here as it’s in reference to Colt’s problems with quality control and their new revolvers. I just read the review of the King Cobra in the February issue of American Rifleman. On page 52 they mention the gun spraying their hands with bullet shavings. There was some other issues with cylinder rotation that were probably ammunition related. There was a close-up picture of the rampant horse, and next to it a close-up picture of the QR code they have stuck on the side of the gun.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

Colt only owes anyone who bought one, a fix. They DON'T owe anyone an explanation.

Iíve always agree with most if not all of your posts and I appreciate your input here. But I kinda disagree on this one. In a way youíre right, they donít owe me anything. But how many people here in this thread alone have said they are gonna hold off until Ďthe bugs get worked outí? How many are reading in silence and thinking the same thing? At the very least Colt does owe the consuming public acknowledgment of the issues and for somebody there to take the horse by the reigns before it runs off a cliff. Just address the issues and promise to fix them. Thatís all they need to do and what I think they should do. Not brush off Ďsome guy on the internetí who has millions of followers. How many potential buyers do you think Hickock turned off with his honest review and video?
COTEP#782
Old 01-23-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post

If it were any other big name manufacturer with a handful lemons, the internet would think nothing of it. But since its Colt, they go out of their way to dogpile on it, and maybe whine about ARs not being currently made, when those same people were saying not to buy one when they were in production because they were over-priced junk. Colt is damned if they do, damned if they don't. The only things that I can hold against them are poor marketing tactics, and most of all, the Stocking Dealer Program. If Colt did away with the Stocking Dealer Program, they'd see far less hate, and maybe even some promotion from FFL holders.

I know this sounds crazy, but I wouldn't put it past a rival company to buy some Pythons, tweak them not to work and have someone affiliated make a YouTube video about it. Hicock is well known, but the other guys aren't.

Last edited by FNHipowerluv; 01-23-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

Legally you're right. They owe no one anything specific other than a purchaser. They don't even owe anyone the truth. However, a little more of a humble attitude toward they're BUYING public...their POTENTIAL customers... might go a long way toward smoothing out the bumps in the road till they get it figured out.
I build custom engines and cylinder heads. I had a customer call today who had a problem with one of our cylinder heads that couldn't be solved on his end. It was on me. My bad. Know what I did? I sent him a call tag for the set of heads he had, and shipped him a brand new set. That's how you take care of business. You don't challenge the customer. You don't dismiss the customer or his/her experience. You certainly don't put the customer down, even indirectly. You TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS with humility and respect. Period.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:50 PM

I can hardly wait for a Wilsonized Python.
COTEP#782