Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD View Post
Sure,

Glock dominates IDPA too. No one confuses the statement that a Glock doesn’t compare to a custom 1911.
Interesting......you think a Glock and a custom 1911 is equivalent to a S&W v a Python?

That’s not apples to oranges, more like peaches to burritos. Or something:-)
Old 01-12-2020, 06:51 PM

Check out the new Hickok 45 video. He had problems with the cylinder turning.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
Interesting......you think a Glock and a custom 1911 is equivalent to a S&W v a Python?

A Glock 19, a Smith Wesson 686, a original Colt Python and a custom 1911. Two can be mass produced and are made by machines and assembled by technicians and two requires a tremendous amount of hand fitting and polishing by master gunsmiths.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:22 PM

There sure is a lot of talk about Pythons on this forum. I think 3 threads in revolvers? The python is beautiful! My tastes are simple, I carry what I like & suits the situation. I don't give a big billy rip if it doesn't suit others, I'm the one using it!
Old 01-12-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:

A Glock 19, a Smith Wesson 686, a original Colt Python and a custom 1911. Two can be mass produced and are made by machines and assembled by technicians and two requires a tremendous amount of hand fitting and polishing by master gunsmiths.
Uh.......no. And as I’ve said, I love Pythons. But to put them on the same level as a true custom 1911, well..... I’ll just leave that for you to consider if you like.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopie View Post
Check out the new Hickok 45 video
All time classic when Hickock says: Other than the cylinder not turning...I like it.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Check out the new Hickok 45 video. He had problems with the cylinder turning.
Ouch. Some of these gun geeks on YouTube I have trouble watching and believing, but when Hickok45 has an issue with a gun it's time to sit up and take notice. This is why I never buy a new gun from the very first batch. It's bound to be a minor issue and I'm sure Colt will find and correct it, but in this era of the Internet to have a mechanical issue with a new gun can cause huge embarrassment. Let's not forget SIG with their non-drop safe P320 and their P365 with broken strikers. Both designs have recovered from their initial teething problems but it was a huge egg on SIG's face. Sounds like I may have to wait until the summer to pick up a new Python.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:52 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
This is why I never buy a new gun from the very first batch.
Never fly the A model.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Uh.......no. And as I’ve said, I love Pythons. But to put them on the same level as a true custom 1911, well..... I’ll just leave that for you to consider if you like.
A Python build to 1956 standards would easily cost $3000+ today.

Last edited by AJD; 01-12-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
A Python build to 1956 standards would easily cost $3000+ today.
Agree, still well short of a ‘custom 1911’. Semi custom maybe.

A Browning A-5 would cost close to $3000 today. Maybe we could call it a ‘production custom’?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Let's face it.... when you start spending more than $3000 on a custom 1911 you're paying for fine little details that only an artist, jeweler or outright perfectionist would appreciate. You can easily build a 1911 that's still a functional work of art for well below that. The reason an old Python would cost $3000 is the fact that you'd have to pay the kind of wages somebody at Wilson or Nighthawk earns just to get them to learn how to fit all of those little itty-bitty lockwork parts properly..... not to mention doing a proper high-polish finish on the outside.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Let's face it.... when you start spending more than $3000 on a custom 1911 you're paying for fine little details that only an artist, jeweler or outright perfectionist would appreciate. You can easily build a 1911 that's still a functional work of art for well below that. The reason an old Python would cost $3000 is the fact that you'd have to pay the kind of wages somebody at Wilson or Nighthawk earns just to get them to learn how to fit all of those little itty-bitty lockwork parts properly..... not to mention doing a proper high-polish finish on the outside.
I have recently been bitten by the Dan Wesson bug and I have 2. Those are great examples how you can combine state of the art CNC with a little final fitting at the end. The 2 I have I do love and they are works of art in my mind and I have spend 4 to 5 times less on them than a Wilson Supergrade.

Another example are the new Korths sold by Nighthawk. I took a goods look at them and again, innovative materials, great CNC work and minimal final fitting done where necessary. Absolutely stunning revolvers. I spoke to the gunsmiths at the last shot show and those folks have really the right approach. Those are not Ratzeburg Korths but they do not try to be and I could not be happier owning one asap.

Colt is nowhere near the ball park. They obviously lack the proper equipment, engineering and management to put something together where people say wow....like Hickock said: You can call it lame. How can you ship messed up crowns and put a thin plywood Altamont grip that costs them $7.50 wholesale on such an icon..... License the brand to Ruger and have them manufacture a proper MIMthon, at least they know how to pull this off perfect and then some.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Ouch. Some of these gun geeks on YouTube I have trouble watching and believing, but when Hickok45 has an issue with a gun it's time to sit up and take notice. This is why I never buy a new gun from the very first batch. It's bound to be a minor issue and I'm sure Colt will find and correct it, but in this era of the Internet to have a mechanical issue with a new gun can cause huge embarrassment. Let's not forget SIG with their non-drop safe P320 and their P365 with broken strikers. Both designs have recovered from their initial teething problems but it was a huge egg on SIG's face. Sounds like I may have to wait until the summer to pick up a new Python.
I was afraid of teething problems, but as you say it is more or less expected. Plenty of other buyers seem happy with their guns though. Also S&W has never stopped building revolvers, but we still see stupid things like machining marks, extra cylinder flutes, masking tape left on frame etc. In this regard, Colt is doing pretty great, for someone who has been out of practice for 15 years. Colt can't control the actions of every employee, but they can make an effort to correct their mistakes. The only companies I judge harshly for their lemon creation rate is Remington and Taurus. This is only because their lemon creation height is so high, you question whether or not they even have a QC department.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharprdkg View Post
Where do you order the new Python from? Missed it if it's in this thread.
I ordered mine from https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 01-12-2020, 09:42 PM

Here is the link to another guy on Youtube having problems with the cylinder turning and light primer strikes. I pick up my Python tomorrow that I already paid for....getting nervous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNrm9vOQBo
Old 01-12-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I get all that, hence the A-5 analogy.....but I have a bunch of stock Colts that run just fine.

My point is and was, comparing a Python to a custom 1911 isn’t gonna hunt. A semi custom $3000 1911, sure.

Big diff between semi custom and actual custom.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Here is the link to another guy on Youtube having problems with the cylinder turning and light primer strikes. I pick up my Python tomorrow that I already paid for....getting nervous.
very strange and the same exact thing Hickock has seen. I am familiar with revolvers, even brand new, which carry up incomplete and drop the hammer before the notch locks the cylinder. But how is it possible for the hand to bypass the ratchet and it not to turn at all. You saw in the Hickock video, the cylinder does not turn at all and the hammer hits the spent primer in the same exact spot. Will bring this up when I meet with the sales director at Shot and report back...
Old 01-12-2020, 10:23 PM

So far that's 3 out of a gun that we know has been produced in at least the 4 digits. Colt already said they would repair the crown issues, and will make changes to prevent it from happening again.

The gun is still young, don't swear it off yet. As said earlier, there are other buyers in this very thread that have had zero issues with their new Pythons. Also, don't pretend like other big names don't make a handful of turds when they crank things out by the 100s and 1000s.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:04 AM

Most of us know enough not to sweat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
So far that's 3 out of a gun that we know has been produced in at least the 4 digits. Colt already said they would repair the crown issues, and will make changes to prevent it from happening again.

The gun is still young, don't swear it off yet. As said earlier, there are other buyers in this very thread that have had zero issues with their new Pythons. Also, don't pretend like other big names don't make a handful of turds when they crank things out by the 100s and 1000s.
Typical of early production that you need a bit of a shake out period. I am sure that by the time they get the 4.25" guns that I am looking for they will likely have it squared away. I am just thinking that after I get my 4.25" gun they will come out with a 3" model and I will have to get one of those also. Oh Well!
Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Quote:

Typical of early production that you need a bit of a shake out period. I am sure that by the time they get the 4.25" guns that I am looking for they will likely have it squared away. I am just thinking that after I get my 4.25" gun they will come out with a 3" model and I will have to get one of those also. Oh Well!
Very well said.....
Old 01-13-2020, 05:53 AM

I shot my new Python this past weekend. I shot 150 rounds of .357 and 50 of .38 +P and had zero issues with functioning. The gun was a lot of fun to shoot. I recommend if you have the chance to get one at or below MSRP, buy with confidence. If you get unlucky and it has issues, no doubt Colt will make it right.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
...Colt already said they would repair the crown issues, and will make changes to prevent it from happening again...
Actually, they haven't; the "Colt rep" at the Colt forum who made that comment turned out to be a fake. So far Colt hasn't officially commented on anything...
Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Does anybody even bother to test handguns from machine rests anymore? 99.9% of YouTube videos usually involve mag dumps onto steel plates at 7 yards for their "accuracy tests". I too would like to see somebody put one of these new Pythons in a Ranson Rest and shoot it at 25 and 50 yards, but I'm not holding my breath.
John Taffin who writes for Guns and American Handgunner still shoots at real ranges (and can still pull a trigger with just about anyone) and reviews in American Rifleman are usually at 25 yds. for stuff like this and seem to be done by competent marksmen.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpepper Cattle Co. View Post
Actually, they haven't; the "Colt rep" at the Colt forum who made that comment turned out to be a fake. So far Colt hasn't officially commented on anything...
It's rather strange someone would go out of their way to lie about that. After seeing various pictures, it looks like most crowns are fine and damaged crowns are a minority. Perhaps the same "genius" that worked on the feed ramps on my AR-15A4 (they looked awful), was on duty to polish a few revolvers one day.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:32 AM

Both S&W and Colt are banging them out ASAP.

Both the S&W "Performance Center" and Colt's "Custom Shop" are in name only. The real craftsmen left them a long time ago. A shame.
Closed Thread