Help identify 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Help identify 1911

I know the slide is from an Ithaca bit the lower the serial number seems odd. There is verticle mark in front of the 1 but not sure if it is part of the serial number?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Looks like someone hand stamped the serial number.

Could that be: 1454/1?

Curious marking, to be sure.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:19 PM

Yeah the deep scratch or tool mark above the serial makes me wonder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Altered serial number.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:50 AM

Very scrubbed, no USP, no "No", no inspector's stamp.
Very bogus, very illegal in USA.
Although since it does have a number, it might well get recorded by a store clerk as though it were legit.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Unfortunately my Dad passed last year it was his and if I recall he might have gotten it from a gun show in PA but can't remember for sure.

It shoots well and has sentimental value to me but I would never carry it. Might have to rethink the sentimental value and find a legit lower and have this one destroyed or make it non-firing and put it in a display case on the wall.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:32 AM

Looked closer and the marks above and below the " serial number " have a dip between them like it was ground down. So have to agree old number was removed and this new one stamped in.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:29 PM

1911 frame. Obviously restamped ser.no.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Administrator

The vertical mark in between the 4 and 1 is likely a 1 from the original serial number, which was often stamped very deep and difficult to file or ground off. Unfortunately with an altered serial number the frame is technically illegal to possess, although the chances of anyone ever finding out or doing something about it are slim. Personally I wouldn't take a chance but others seem less concerned about it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:38 PM

Yes, the original number has been ground out and a fake number has been stamped. It is probably illegal to possess.

I used to do stolen motorcycle serial number restoration and could probably restore the original number in a few hours using battery acid and electrolysis.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 11-12-2019, 11:54 AM

If you do decide to get rid of it do not get rid of the entire gun. Detail strip it and just get rid of the stripped frame.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:13 PM

I've been looking into getting a replacement frame and moving everything over then destroying the frame with the altered serial number.

It's a good shooter so just want it for a good range gun at this point.

Found 100% frame from hellfire armory says series 70 does that make a difference for compatibility?

Old 11-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Administrator

My suggestion would be a Caspian classic frame, which has the traditional 1911 profile. Aside from that any full-size 1911 frame that doesn't require a firing pin safety should work.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
My suggestion would be a Caspian classic frame, which has the traditional 1911 profile. Aside from that any full-size 1911 frame that doesn't require a firing pin safety should work.
Thanks I just checked out their website. Decent prices. Came across a bunch of different companies offering frames but didn't stumble across this one.