1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-28-2018, 08:48 AM

New EMP a piece of crap

Hey everyone I wanted to share this,

I bought a new EMP a couple of months ago and finally got to the range with it yesterday. The damn thing fails to feed almost 100 percent. I only shot FMJ 124 gr but no go. I struggled to manually shoot 100 rounds through it thinking maybe it's gonna break in or loosen up but no.

Each round looks like it hits the feed ramp straight on instead of sloped so it'll slide on up. Most of the time if I'd nudge the slide forward (fairly hard) it'd finish going in. Sometimes I'd have to wiggle back and forth.

Seriously almost 100 percent. It was so embarrassing being at the range with everyone wondering what the hell is wrong with that guys gun. I paid $900 bucks for this damn thing. I don't know how Springfield could let these go out the door.

I like my full size Range Officer a lot so I felt comfortable buying another Springfield. I didn't research it enough. I did see some older reports of problems but the gun has been out for a long time. I figured the bugs would have all been resolved by now.

I'll call them Tuesday to see about getting it sent in but it's very disappointing to say the least. Wish I hadn't bought this damn thing.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury3 View Post
Most of the time if I'd nudge the slide forward (fairly hard) it'd finish going in. Sometimes I'd have to wiggle back and forth.
Sounds like tight extractor. Easy DYI fix.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
Sounds like tight extractor. Easy DYI fix.
Thanks, Since it's new I'm not sure I want to mess with it. The feed ramp looks pretty dull (not smooth at all) too.

I did have trouble with my Range Officer which was resolved by installing a Wilson Combat extractor. I love the Range Officer now. The issues I had with it were minor compared to this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 11:32 AM

Send it back with pictures of the jams, types of ammo used and failure rate data. They should fix it. Rarely do you hear about looser lower end guns having feed issues, it’s always the higher end tight babies and the EMPs are tight. Mine was one of the few guns that I had to run in. It finally did straighten out. But with a 100% failure rate somethings wrong, send it back.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:48 AM

Lubed properly?
Joe
Old 05-28-2018, 12:44 PM

So sad but been there. My EMP 3C is flawless. Did get a operator 9mm that would not run out of the box. Send it back. My operator was back in less than 3 weeks and is now flawless in many many many rounds.
Good luck
Old 05-28-2018, 12:47 PM

I feel for you. I have been putting off the urge for buying an EMP for a year. When the urge comes back, a post like yours takes it away. About 6 months ago, there was a post on here about someone who also wanted to buy an EMP but with so many of them being sent back to Springfield, he also was rejecting the urge.
Most posters response to his post was how great Springfield's customer service is. I wrote that I don't buy a gun because of customer service; I want it to work right out of the box. I still feel that way. I have bought well over 100 hand guns in my life and never had to return one.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:46 PM

Rounds do not "slide" up the ramp - they bounce off and up. I would look at the extractor before anything else. The ramp does not need to be polished like glass to function.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Simple extractor adjustment.

My EMP was flawless from round one. Bought a Kimber target II in 10mm, extractor too tight = FTF. Loosen a little , now flawless. SA Target loaded in 9mm, flawless. I think flawless out of the box is hit or miss unless you buy a Wilson Combat. Just the way it is now with guns. It's not like the '60's and early '70's when malfunctions never left the factory.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Okay thanks everyone. I was thinking my title is a little harsh but I'm a bit upset over it.

I don't know much but I did successfully replace and adjust the extractor on my Range Office and it does work perfectly now. That one didn't fail to feed though it was mostly stove pipes.

I'll take it apart and see if it looks as easy as the full size. Maybe clean it and put a little extra lube on it and at least try it again with some different ammo before sending it in.

I got two other 1911's so there isn't any hurry.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:45 PM

I'm batting about .300 on SA products working properly from the factory. Extractors have usually been the culprit, on 1911s and their M1A. On the EMMP, in addition to tension inspect the extractor for sharp edges that might stop the rim on its way up in to position.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:16 AM

In addition to the extractor being sharp check the gap of the hook to breech face. Also did you thoroughly clean this gun before shooting it? My emp4 was full of shavings and floor dry and the feed ramp was very rough, I completely cleaned it after a similar first outing and polished the feed ramp and it has been perfect since other than the glued in extractor coming loose, so if you do send it back ask that they pin yours while it’s there. Once mine started running correctly it is one of my favorites, just fun to shoot.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the responses,

No passx I didn't but I just finished doing so now and it seemed well lubed and not very dirty either. I cleaned it and over lubed it a bit to give it another try.

I have an observation though. If I put nine rounds in the mag. is VERY hard to put in. I have to hit it with my palm. However if I only put 8 rounds it snaps in perfectly with only finger pressure. When I look at the top round the brass has a scratch in the bottom lip (outside). From what I can tell it looks like it's hitting on the ejector?

I did notice the mag (all three) were difficult to seat when I first got it but I didn't think much about it. Just figured it was tight. Now I'm thinking this might be the problem although it still malfunctions even down to the last round in the mag.

Upon cleaning it everything looks pretty good as far as I can tell.

This is only my third 1911 style pistol so I'm not an expert like others here. Please let me know if the mag. insertion problem sounds like an issue. If not I got it ready to give it another try with some different ammo.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM

My emp9 3” is from 2012. It’s been a great reliable gun I did send it back for ejector pinning. As far as 9 rounds in the mag & insertion mine was difficult also so I make sure the slide is locked open then put the loaded 9 round mag in. I was skeptical about reliability when I got mine but the feed ramp & breechface were mirror polished. Everything is fit very well trigger/grip safety & slide to frame fit. The only time it ever malfunctioned was on range reloads that the bottom of the case was slightly bulged. Ammo back then was hard to find & expensive. All the complaints I have been reading about for a while now don’t even apply to my emp. Looks like they made them better when I got mine.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:03 PM

Clean your gun thoroughly and go back to range. however try using only 147g ammo during the break in period this has worked for several people in several forums. I have personally kept my gun on the 147g just because it shoots so damn well with it. I also really like the heavier rounds. Hope your problem is taken care of, it really is an awesome gun.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:09 PM

If the slide locks up, push the magazine up and see if it feeds, I've had a couple of mag releases that locked the mag ever so much lower than they should have, er-go failer to feed, another mag catch may help, all things on a 1911 like to be fitted.
Just a thought
Happy shootin'
JD
Old 05-31-2018, 08:21 PM

Mercury, every Springfield I own has hit the mag/top round on the bottom of the ejector requiring me to bevel the lower inside corner of the ejector, I do believe that it had to be part of the reason for the ejector coming loose.

Fill the mag and push it into just the frame, lookto see if it hits the ejector, hold it fully up while looking at it.

If it is indeed hitting (i’ll Be surprised if it isn’t) either you need to file the corner off the ejector until you have clearance or send it back to Springfield to fix. If you do that insist that they pinthe ejector while they have. You also may talk to them about the problems you had so they can give it a look. Stick with it, they are good guns once sorted, you’ll enjoy it.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:43 PM

This sounds like an extractor issue to me as well. Easily correctable. At least they drilled the firing pin hole in the right place. Can't say the same for mine. SA will take care of it for you though.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone,

Again I've got it cleaned well and slightly over lubed ready to give it another try at the range with some different ammo types.

I don't feel comfortable filing anything since it's new - depending upon how it goes at the range & following that I'll tear it down and check what you've suggested Passx. Depending upon all of that my next step will be to go ahead and send it back for repairs.

Hopefully I'll get all the bugs out and end up with a good gun.

Thanks again I'll report back and keep everyone informed.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:09 PM

What did the folks at SA say about it when you called?
Old 06-04-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191159 View Post
What did the folks at SA say about it when you called?
I haven't called them yet. Per the suggestions given here I've thoroughly cleaned and lubed the gun (It was new and I did not tear it down and lube it before trying it the first time) and I am going to give it a try again with some various different ammo.

Others have said it's a good gun once broken in and bugs worked out so I am optimistic. In fact I'm optimistic enough I'm going to take advantage of the Springfield buyers discount and order 7 more mag. I like to have 10 so spend less time reloading at the range.

I work 12 hour shifts so it might be another week or two before I can get to the range.

Thanks

Last edited by Mercury3; 06-04-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Rounds do not "slide" up the ramp - they bounce off and up. I would look at the extractor before anything else. The ramp does not need to be polished like glass to function.
This. There are so many out there that think the feedramp has to be polished to the point where you could use it for a mirror when shaving with a straight razor.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:46 PM

Best of luck getting it working
Old 06-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Banned

Oh brother,
Bad ammo?
Lack of lubrication?
Maybe polish the feed ramp?
All the same excuses for a poorly engineered inherently unreliable gun, washed my hands of two EMPs, extremely mediocre pistol....(EMP)
Old 06-11-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPREDATOR View Post
Oh brother,
Bad ammo?
Lack of lubrication?
Maybe polish the feed ramp?
All the same excuses for a poorly engineered inherently unreliable gun, washed my hands of two EMPs, extremely mediocre pistol....(EMP)
I know. Many have said it's a good gun once the bugs worked out so I'm going to give it a good shot at getting it working.

Mean while I put it aside and took my Dan Wesson Valor to the range last Sunday. Put 350 rounds through it. Wow it's such a nice gun. I love it.

Before I get back to the EMP I want to take my Springfield Range Officer and put some more rounds through it too. I'll get back to the EMP after that.