Browning 1911-380 vs Baby Rock 380? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 AM

Browning 1911-380 vs Baby Rock 380?

I realize that anyone that has bought one will likely not have bought the other but does anyone own both? Or can anyone compare them side by side?

I would really like to know how they differ in the way they lock up...or don't lock up.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 AM

I can think of a dozen reasons to own the Browning over the RIA.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 AM

From what I understand the RIA .380 (like many others) is just a chopped off 1911. That's all fine and dandy for what it is.
But the Browning .380 is actually shrunk down in size, equally. Everything... Every component is shrunk by 15% making it a true 1911 design but yet geometrically smaller overall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 09:17 AM

I have the Baby Rock. It is not just a "chopped off" 1911. It is definitely a shrunken 1911, however not with a barrel link. I have heard 3/4 sized but it feels smaller.

If you have a little time, look up Gun Test magazine's test of a few .380s, including the Baby Rock. They give it their top rating. It is also all metal, ordinance steel. The Browning, though it also may be a fine pistol, is not.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
From what I understand the RIA .380 (like many others) is just a chopped off 1911. That's all fine and dandy for what it is.
But the Browning .380 is actually shrunk down in size, equally. Everything... Every component is shrunk by 15% making it a true 1911 design but yet geometrically smaller overall.
Not a "chopped off 1911" at all. Totally different gun. Different grip angle, different beavertail, external extractor, etc. It's more like a Llama than a 1911.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 02-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Sorry guys... That was a bad choice of wording on my part.

The RIA Baby Rock is a great .380 but I just feel that the Browning .380 blows it away.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:50 PM

I recently looked at a Browning at our local Field&Stream store and did not like the fact that the polymer frame had a poor fit and you could see the recoil spring inside the gun. I'm pretty sure the RIA is a metal frame gun. I can't find one to get my hands on but would like to feel one in person.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter606 View Post
I recently looked at a Browning at our local Field&Stream store and did not like the fact that the polymer frame had a poor fit and you could see the recoil spring inside the gun. I'm pretty sure the RIA is a metal frame gun. I can't find one to get my hands on but would like to feel one in person.
Well I finally found one and after getting it in my hands I had to have it! Thought it would be the perfect "small 1911" for the wife, couldn't have been more wrong! She hates it... bought it Saturday and took her shooting on sunday and after 17 rounds she said no more and was done with it. Not sure why she don't like it? It's a great shooter and feels really solid in your hands, may have to keep it for a small carry gun or may just sell it on.......
Old 02-21-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter606 View Post
Thought it would be the perfect "small 1911" for the wife, couldn't have been more wrong! She hates it...
I held the Browning. I haven't seen the Baby Rock yet. The Browning feels great in my hands, but for a polymer framed 380, I have a tough time with the $$$ they're charging for it.

I can't remember which is which, but either the Browning or the Baby Rock is not a true locked breech mechanism, which could translate to higher recoil. -- Edit: Baby Rock is blowback. Browning is locked breech.

Last edited by Gun Nut; 02-21-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Blowback vs. locked breech.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:18 PM

I have the Browning 1911-.380 and love it. Very accurate and easy to shoot. Disappears on hip.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:15 AM

I own both the RIA BBR 380 and Browning 1911 380.both are excellent handguns,in my opinion,they are equally accurate and both function very well,I feel the Browning fits and feels better in my hand,but,both guns run very well.I dedicated the Rock to everyday carry and Browning to Special or Sunday go to meeting wear.Much the same as my 45 Rock CS vs.my Colt 1911 FS 45.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 AM

I have both the Browning 1911 380 and the RIA Baby Rock 380,I also have the older Llama MicroMax 380.All three are comparable in function and accuracy,as far as this old man is concerned.Iwas slightly disappointed in the Browning in the fact that the sights seem to be polymer,but,the gun does operate well and the sights do not seem to detract from the appearance.The Browning is closer in appearance to my Colt Gov`t 1911,albeit considerably lighter due to it`s polymer construction and lighter than the Rock and The MicroMax.All three of the reincarnations,for lack of better terms,seem to operate flawlessly and are as accurate as I need them to be for me,and they are easy to conceal.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 AM

Browning 1911 380/RIA BBR 380

I have both the Browning and the RIA BBR.Both are very effective as far as working as they should.Both are as accurate as I believe they should be.Essentially no issues with either,I carry mainly the BBR,but,due to cost of Browning I don`t carry as often.LIkewise I carry my RIA CS 45 rather than my full size Colt Gov`t 1911.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 AM

Finally got to shoot my baby rock along side my friends upscale Browning 1911-380. The Browning has a rail and G10 VZ grips. Though they could both be as accurate, the Browning seemed slightly easier to shoot. Very minor difference. I think the grip may have been a factor.

I liked the Browning a lot, but I'm not rushing out to sell my Baby Rock to make a down payment on the Browning. My Rock is steel and shoots great. I think the Baby Rock is also slightly easier to conceal as it feels like a slightly smaller package. I like that I spent quite a bit less on my Rock than he did on his Browning. But I will say, that Browning is a shooter!
Old 07-24-2017, 02:51 AM

I owned a Baby Rock for a very short time and was so excited to have finally found one. I had nothing but trouble with it. FTF and extraction issues, the slide stop notch started rounding off after 200 rounds. A trip back to RIA and it was deemed unrepairable. I took the refund rather than wait 3 months for a replacement.

Picked up a Browning Medallion Stainless last week and you definitely get what you pay for. Everything seems smoother. The slide, trigger, safety... It all operates like butter. But I'm comparing this to a BBR that should have never left the factory.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 03:23 PM

My summer carry is an LPC that I hate. I've been doing a lot of research on 1911 style 380s. I love my two Rocks, one in 45APC one in 9mm so I looked hard at the baby rock. Along with the Browning I looked at Sig P238 and Kimber Micro 380. They all have had their problems but I think I've settled on the Kimber.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 PM

Lucky You

I am referring to those that have been lucky enough to have a Browning Black Label and one of the Armscor Baby Rocks. Myself and hundreds if not thousands of others have been waiting twelve to eighteen months and still no Baby Rocks.

I have a Browning Black Label. After problems with the finish on the slide and an oversized bore it went back to Browning. It returned with a new slide and barrel along with a long list of problems. Long story short, Browning replaced the gun with a new one.

The replacement gun is great. The slide finish looks to be a different finish and very durable. Overall fit is perfect also. Now I need a Baby Rock so I can decide which is better than the other and which would I prefer, or do I keep both.

I do have a Bersa Firestorm and a Walther PPK-S 380, but both of them can not be compared to the 1911 style of the Browning or Baby Rock. As for comparing shootability, accuracy etc. they can be used to compare. They are simply very different guns.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:35 PM

Hope I'm not going to get in trouble for waking up a slightly old thread, but I need the feedback so this seems smarter than starting a new one.

Long story short, I am on my third Browning. I bought one, it had issues, I sent it back to Browning and they looked at it, tested, and decided to send me a replacement gun. Same routine with the replacement gun, which leaves me with the one I have now as my third. It still has the issues. The most interesting issue is that it will eject the seventh round unfired along with the spent 6th casing.

I am a bit discouraged, because it is hard to believe that I would get 3 Lemon guns in a row, which makes me wonder if it is me, but I also cannot imagine that I am doing something that would make unspent rounds eject from the magazine. And of course there are just normal failure to eject jams along the way.

So far the only way I have gotten it to run is by using 90 grain PMC ammo. It is either the light load, or the unusually long overall length of the PMC, but it seems to run fine with that. But for the price I really feel like I should be able to put whatever I want through it.

So basically I am just asking, any ideas from all of you who have this firearm?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 PM

have the Browning and give it high praise. As with any new firearm you need to wring them out and while doing so found one of my four mags had several hiccups. Had someone bought the gun with just that mag they would have been rightly pissed. It has become my vest gun while on the Harley. The added green lazer is a hoot, too
Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 PM

Could you share which ammo you predominantly use? Or does yours eat anything?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Black Label .380 1911...great little single shot pistol! Maybe they’ll start shipping with
Pliers to bend your very own mag feed lips. (Sorry, guys... see gunsmithing forum...took my
$loss and ran after 2 trips back to the mother ship).
Old 10-10-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhog View Post
Black Label .380 1911...great little single shot pistol! Maybe they’ll start shipping with
Pliers to bend your very own mag feed lips. (Sorry, guys... see gunsmithing forum...took my
$loss and ran after 2 trips back to the mother ship).
Are you sure you don't want to give it one more try? I've got a beautiful specimen that I'll cut you a deal on!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:09 PM

I bought a Rock Island .380 from an individual who had loaned his .380 Browning to his daughter while they waited for a Baby Rock, Upon its arrival the daughter said it was too heavy and the father decided to go full size .45 1911 so he sold it to me for $400. his cost was 379.99 plus NC sales tax.

A week later I was able to buy a pristine Llama Especial vintage 1967 factory nickel plated and most likely unfired. I had been looking for a Star or Llama prior to the RI purchase but gave up.

I have been trying to sell the Baby Rock at less than I paid for it as I have put 28 flawless rounds through it but so far no takers! Go figure when the pistol is so hard to find.

I guess I will have to adopt it into my 1911 family; Ruger SR 1911 .45, Rock Island Tactical 9mm 1911 and Llama Especial

I am not trying to solicit a sale just my 'rant' on how fickle the market place is.

Baby Rock is adopted and now a cherished member of my 1911 family as you cannot have too many 1911's even if 2 of them are
.380's

Last edited by seb1899; 10-16-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 PM

In contrast to your situation, I live down in SC and looked for a Baby Rock for almost a year with no luck. Did not find anyone who had them in stock. I ended up with a RIA PRO Match Ultra .45, and a Browning 1911 380.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 PM

I have had a Baby Rock on order for well over a year. Repeated questions to Armscor asking for an explanation as to why the Baby Rocks are in such short supply. The answers I get are pure crap. Mostly Armscor blames the magazine problems for the shortage. COME ON, no pistol manufacturer or magazine manufacturer worth their salt would require more than a week to identify the problem with the magazines, correct it and ramp up production and flood the market.

I believe Armscor is having a more serious problem that they are not willing to share with their possible customers. I resent being told excuses that don't hold water. THEREFORE I HAVE CANCELLED MY ORDER and ordered a quality Kimber Micro 9 Stainless. Ordered on Monday and it will be delivered on Wednesday. That is just 2 to 3 days, not 16 months. I guess I am through with Armscor.

I did buy a Browning Black Label 380 about a year ago and it had issues. It also had the typical magazine problem and the feed lips had to be closed in a little. That problem went away then. The Browning had a oversized chamber and very poor fitting slide with a very poor finish. Browning replaced the barrel and slide but created even more serious problem with the slide to frame fit. Gun went back to Browning a second time. This time Browning replaced the gun with a new one. LONG STORY SHORT, the new gun has great fit and finish, shoots like a champ without any issues.

There are plenty of firearms manufacturers that sell guns and they all can have a gun go out the has problems. The measure of a GOOD firearms manufacturer is one that has a minimal number with problem guns and very good service when a problem is found.

Firearms manufacturers that seem to be unable to fix a problem gun, sending it back to the customer with the problem not fixed is not one to consider for a purchase.

Life is too short and there are plenty of problems to deal with. One problem we don't need the poor quality control many of our firearms manufacturers have.

End of my rant.