Disappointed - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-09-2016, 09:57 AM

Disappointed

So I went to look at 1911s today and checked out a talo railed NW and was impressed until I really examined the gun. All three rivers in the case had lower lugs not fitted correctly. You could push down on the barrel hood and see the barrel spring down. Also all three had a massive gap between the front of the safety and the slide so the slide would move back nearly an 1/8"...closer to 3/32". Can't figure why Ruger can't fit the lower barrel lug as it should be. Compared them to a Colt, Kimber and Springfield... None of these had barrel movement. For the right price I would get one and fit a barrel but out of the box $800 is a lot to pay for this.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:07 PM

It's a production gun. They're not hand fitted from oversized parts - they're assembled on a production line. So are Colt, Kimber or Springfield.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:14 PM

I have never seen a Colt that you couldn't push down on the barrel hood and have the barrel drop down a bit... I have two Kimbers and both barrels are tight and without movement....both my Rugers will push down a bit.. as mentioned above, these are Production guns and not individually hand fitted and that's why you can buy them for $699 or less. But I've owned many 1911's without fitted barrels and they are worked reliably and with good accuracy. albeit not Match pistols.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 PM

Are your issues affecting accuracy or function?

I have a Taleo, it goes bang and makes holes where I aim.

Can't get incensed over other issues.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:46 AM

You have a Taleo? Is that from Spain?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Capt View Post
I have never seen a Colt that you couldn't push down on the barrel hood and have the barrel drop down a bit... I have two Kimbers and both barrels are tight and without movement....both my Rugers will push down a bit.. as mentioned above, these are Production guns and not individually hand fitted and that's why you can buy them for $699 or less. But I've owned many 1911's without fitted barrels and they are worked reliably and with good accuracy. albeit not Match pistols.
I looked at 5 different colts and none had any perceived downward movement. Both my Kimbers new were $700, all three Springfields were around $800. No felt movement. When you can visibly see the barrel push down and spring up, it means it does not correctly fit and the lower lug is not supported. My early SR1911 did not do this and I kick myself for selling it.

I have yet to find a Ruger for $699 or less locally. Talos are at the $800+ mark. At this price Talo should make sure the barrel fit is correct. Someone find me a railed Talo in the $600 to $700 range and I will fit a kart barrel and have a heck of a gun.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:15 AM

When you know what a quality 1911 "walks like and talks like", you'll pass on a Ruger.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 AM

Don't mince words man - tell us how you really feel....... (just teasing ya)
Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
When you know what a quality 1911 "walks like and talks like", you'll pass on a Ruger.
I'd have to say, if you know that, you'll pass on any factory gun.
But I'm a snob.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
That said, what WOULD be your recommendation on a factory gun in the $1000 range, if any? Yours is one of the opinions here I genuinely respect, so I'm interested in what you say on this. FYI, I have a couple of Baers, and have had several others in that price/quality range, none of which shot or shoot as well as my current favorite 1911 which happens to be a pre-Series II Kimber Custom. Don't mean to put you on the spot, but since I just picked up a Ruger LWT for "ranch carry", I want to know if I should have gone another direction. I want ease of carry, reliability, and reasonable accuracy without worry about banging up one of my more expensive guns.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:07 PM

I do understand that Ruger has their fans. I try to take that into account. Every example of their 1911 that I have seen has been disappointing.

Colt, STI, Springfield, Sig, Kimber...they all make guns that are in that price point that are overall better build quality. Sigs are especially impressive if you can stand the idea that they aren't a "traditional" 1911.

Now, as far as choosing the right gun for the right job...you may have done fine. Ease of carry, reliability and reasonable accuracy can be had from the LWT Commanders. Ruger also has fantastic customer service. I would put them ahead of Colt and Kimber as far as that goes. Customer service top of the heap is probably Springfield. I would place Ruger right there with them though.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 PM

I'm 69 & retired. Sometimes we get a bit hungry before the SS check comes in.
I consider my self blessed to have my SR 1911, & RIA Compact officers. They shoot better than I do, & I am well satisfied.
High zoot gear isn't a necessity.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:28 PM

Good lord - I LOVE that term - "high zoot gear". You're absolutely right though.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:31 PM

You have to learn to appreciate guns for what they are.a little barrel tilt,or play in the slide to frame fit aren't the end of the world.
I have semi custom guns from Les baer,and guncrafter industrys, ed brown,stock colts and rock island armory as well as a 73 year old Remington Rand.I enjoy them all
What I'm trying to say is don't make it what it's not....the guns described by the OP would more than likely give a lifetime of service and be an eager companion for all your outings.don't buy into all the Internet hype!!!tighter isn't always better,perfect isn't always nessecery.
Buying a 1911 is not the same as buying a polymer gun.when you buy a 1911 you are buying 1.base material 2.workmanship of seasoned professional gunsmiths(or lack there of)3.reputation of the manufacturer 4.you pay for the amount of physical labor needed to build the gun to the price catergory you are shopping.the more you spend,the greater the quantity of each of these items you will get.
If you don't like the ruger.....don't buy it.save your money,do your homework and make sure you know ahead of time exactly what you are buying and you will be much happier in the end.

Last edited by baer78; 03-13-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
You have a Taleo? Is that from Spain?
It is the Taleo "enhanced" version of the Ruger SR1911.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I do understand that Ruger has their fans. I try to take that into account. Every example of their 1911 that I have seen has been disappointing.

Colt, STI, Springfield, Sig, Kimber...they all make guns that are in that price point that are overall better build quality. Sigs are especially impressive if you can stand the idea that they aren't a "traditional" 1911.

Now, as far as choosing the right gun for the right job...you may have done fine. Ease of carry, reliability and reasonable accuracy can be had from the LWT Commanders. Ruger also has fantastic customer service. I would put them ahead of Colt and Kimber as far as that goes. Customer service top of the heap is probably Springfield. I would place Ruger right there with them though.
I dont understand, if you have not shot one how can you put them down by saying they are disappointing? Please shoot first then you will be able to back up your statements.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
I dont understand, if you have not shot one how can you put them down by saying they are disappointing? Please shoot first then you will be able to back up your statements.
This is like saying to Michelangelo, "Why aren't you using Crayolas on that ceiling? They will certainly be more colorful."
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 10-23-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monadh View Post
This is like saying to Michelangelo, "Why aren't you using Crayolas on that ceiling? They will certainly be more colorful."
No its not because the paintings are proof of his skill set.

I don't know this poster and he did not back up his statement on the rugers with any sort of proof. He could have just as easily said the rugers are the best most accurate 1911's based on what he has seen. And I would have called him out on that too...

Actually I don't know any of the people here but I enjoy reading and learning and expect to see some sort of evidence to back up someones statements.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
No its not because the paintings are proof of his skill set.

I don't know this poster and he did not back up his statement on the rugers with any sort of proof. He could have just as easily said the rugers are the best most accurate 1911's based on what he has seen. And I would have called him out on that too...

Actually I don't know any of the people here but I enjoy reading and learning and expect to see some sort of evidence to back up someones statements.
Understood.

AC is one of the most respected and knowledgeable 1911 gunsmiths in the country, and he has definitely earned that status. He was not truly busting on Rugers for being what they are, production pistols made to be highly affordable, but he was pointing out that there are brands in the market who make much better pistols for not much more.

Given that you did not know him, your question is understandable.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 10-23-2016, 08:57 AM

Personal SR1911

My SR1911 is still going strong, even with my own personal modifications. Digests any ammo I choose to use, looks beautiful to me, & shoots so well - it makes ME look good too. It is has all the 1911 quality I need.
Attached Thumbnails
My SR 1911.JPG  

Last edited by crasig; 10-23-2016 at 08:59 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 PM

I have not been disappointed with my SR1911 9mm commander. So far I feel I have got what I paid for in respect to:
1.Reliability--it has not had a failure to feed or fire since the first range session
2.Accuracy is acceptable and as I get used to it will get better.
3.For concealed carry its weight is appealing in the fact that in a Desantis IWB holster it stays in place and does not yank your pants down with extra weight.
4.After reading some opinions here I upgraded to Wilson Mags and have been happy with those.
5.I like that the SR1911 is series 70(hard to find in many 1911s these days) and also that they do not come with guide rods ect. that I do not want to begin with.
So all in all pretty happy and will continue to work with this pistol and see where I end up after doing a ambi safety and novak bar dot tritium sites.
I have definitely spent a lot more money and have ended up with a unreliable and marginal accuracy.

Last edited by George MT.; 10-25-2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-25-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Capt View Post
My Colt Delta Elite doesn't have any movement and furthermore every Colt 1911 I have had, have no movement when pushed down on the barrel.

I have had a few too.

I have bought and traded a lot of pistols in the last few years and examined many. None of the Colts had any movement and were in fact very nicely done. Fit and finish were excellent as opposed to about 16 years ago when they weren't to great.

My Delta Elite 10mm and Kimber Pro Carry II are my favorite guns for off duty...my Kimber rides on my vest as a backup as well as off duty use.

Ruger makes an outstanding 1911 too. I have had two full sizes and two commanders...excellent.....I just get trade crazy...it isn't the gun.

Last edited by neorebel; 10-25-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:45 AM

Very common problem with the Rugers. Here is a video I shot when the commanders first came out a bit over three years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxD-3vdd7uw

I do this simple test whenever I handle any 1911, have never seen this kind of play in other brands.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:25 PM

I have a couple of Baers and a SR1911. I must be lucky as my 1/3rd cost SR is as reliable and accurate as my Baers. So, it's on my side as an EDC pistol. I've really enjoy the SR. Barrel fit was good out of the box.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Good lord - I LOVE that term - "high zoot gear". You're absolutely right though.
I like that term as well (as is your screen name) drail............