Disappointed - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-18-2016, 03:37 PM

I look at guns in this area as look before you buy. Like buying a used 1911. Of course from what I have read Ruger is pretty good about fixing problems. I still will pay the local tax and look before I buy at a LGS. Colt in the $1K plus or minus a couple hundred dollars is getting a lot better in the last couple years. DW is about the cheapest thing I would buy without looking at it first.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:04 PM

Should mention I bought a couple of the SR1911s back in 2012. I was looking for them before that but they were hard to find.

Picked up my first SR1911CMD in Jan 2013 and the family grows. I am very happy with them and will probably add a 9mm CMD in the future.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:10 PM

Other than this I love my Ruger

Old 12-06-2016, 01:17 PM

I had a full size 5" Ruger for about a year. Never missed a beat and seemed to be well fit. However when comparing group sizes off the bench it would not keep up with my Sig CCO style, Smith five inch and certainly not with my Wilson, or Baer. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, you just get what you pay for.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:40 PM

Got a new Ruger SR1911 and there is no play in the barrel when in battery. Being very new to pistols the gun definitely shoots better than I do!!! No other issues excpect twice when I, gasp, limp wristed it!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:20 AM

Where did I say I haven't shot one?

What's disappointing to me, may be perfectly acceptable to the next guy. Sometimes, I have to take that into account first.

If someone lets me drive their ZR1 Corvette and I get out telling them it's slow, I have to stop myself and remember that I drive a car with some real horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
I dont understand, if you have not shot one how can you put them down by saying they are disappointing? Please shoot first then you will be able to back up your statements.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
If someone lets me drive their ZR1 Corvette and I get out telling them it's slow, I have to stop myself and remember that I drive a car with some real horsepower.
They are slow compared to mine lol!! This was after the engine was modified significantly on my Z06! We will discuss at SHOT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tckuwxym_G0
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 PM

I own three commander sized 9 mm Rugers.

None have "wiggle" in the barrel link nor do they wiggle around the bushing.

They are combat guns that work every time and two have 4.25 triggers out of the box and the third has an atrocious 4.50 trigger. Each in my hands holds
a more than acceptable zero/pattern firing fast at 15 yards which is all I ask.

I think Mr. Alchemy Custom is entitled to his opinion but as far as I'm concerned, he should stick to promoting his line of expensive wares...period.
When I called up a site he has with his postings, up came Cabot. Golly gee,
I guess I wish my Ruger triggers had stars in them.

OK, maybe I walk like a duck.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:55 AM

Most production 1911 stand on the link- and aren't fitted to stand on the lower lugs. If the lower lugs are fitted properly, the barrel can't drop in battery. So this demonstrates the Ruger is standing on the link and there's room between the slide stop diameter and hole in the link to allow movement.

I have a Ruger CMD and do notice the link recess in the frame is mis-cut (as though the cutter wandered during machining) and the quality of the ignition control parts was sub par. But, like most production guns, it's built to a price point.

With a little work and tool steel ignition parts, it's a capable EDC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2117.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	292945

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2016, 08:03 AM

My CMD has been my daily carry gun since I bought it new 2 years ago. I checked 3 different CMD examples up and down before I selected one. Barrel lock up was rock solid on all 3. No tool marks on any of them. No rattles in 2 of the 3 (the only example that rattled was from a small amount of side-to-side movement on the grip safety and that is really a non-issue for me).

I've run about 4k rounds through it of all different types of JHP and FMJ ammo without one single FTF or FTE malfunction. The only problem I've had are the 2 Ruger 7-rd mags that came with the pistol don't drop free when pressing the mag release but they feed just fine. I carry with Wilson 8-rd mags anyway, and just use the Ruger 7-rd mags for range trips.

I was able to negotiate a bit and paid $629 out the door. It has been a rock solid performer, and the only upgrade has been to add VZ slim grips.

Cheers.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:40 PM

I bought an SR 1911 CMD. I bought the Ruger despite the short comings I noticed during presale examination for two reasons. First because it is a Ruger, yep, I'm a fan but not blindly so. Second because it is a decent gun and a good base. I did a write up and can say both general views being presented here are valid. Ruger really should correct some of the cosmetic fit and finish short comings and work on tbe performance end some. Then their 1911 could compete with a Kimber, good Springer, and Sig. I own/have owned samples of each and Ruger needs some refinement to get to where they should be in the market place. It wouldn't take much but right now they aren't finishing the development task.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 01-17-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:02 AM

Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrifle3 View Post
So I went to look at 1911s today and checked out a talo railed NW and was impressed until I really examined the gun. All three rivers in the case had lower lugs not fitted correctly. You could push down on the barrel hood and see the barrel spring down. Also all three had a massive gap between the front of the safety and the slide so the slide would move back nearly an 1/8"...closer to 3/32". Can't figure why Ruger can't fit the lower barrel lug as it should be. Compared them to a Colt, Kimber and Springfield... None of these had barrel movement. For the right price I would get one and fit a barrel but out of the box $800 is a lot to pay for this.
Skip all the brands above and buy a Wilson. The only 'gap' would be in your wallet :-)
Old 01-18-2017, 08:04 AM

Thumbs up Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
I'm 69 & retired. Sometimes we get a bit hungry before the SS check comes in.
I consider my self blessed to have my SR 1911, & RIA Compact officers. They shoot better than I do, & I am well satisfied.
High zoot gear isn't a necessity.
AMEN Brother!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:48 AM

Class envy.

That's okay. I just bought myself a gun and it cost me $620 shipped. I'm far from a gun snob. I'm not a star fan. I think they should be optional and a solid trigger standard.

15 yards!!! I can't hit the side of a barn from 15 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
I own three commander sized 9 mm Rugers.

None have "wiggle" in the barrel link nor do they wiggle around the bushing.

They are combat guns that work every time and two have 4.25 triggers out of the box and the third has an atrocious 4.50 trigger. Each in my hands holds
a more than acceptable zero/pattern firing fast at 15 yards which is all I ask.

I think Mr. Alchemy Custom is entitled to his opinion but as far as I'm concerned, he should stick to promoting his line of expensive wares...period.
When I called up a site he has with his postings, up came Cabot. Golly gee,
I guess I wish my Ruger triggers had stars in them.

OK, maybe I walk like a duck.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 AM

When one builds excellent, premium pistols in the $3000 - $10,000+ range I would expect him to be disappointed with assembly line pistols. If he were not, I would seriously question the worth of his work.

That said, when one observes the volume of arms coming from Ruger against the volume of quality coming from Cabot, there is no comparison.

I HAVE Rugers (among others) and I LIKE them.
I LIKE Cabots, but will probably never HAVE one.

Am I disappointed? Not In The Least!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:00 PM

Me either. I guess I'm lucky. My little SR1911 LW CMD in 9mm is just a hoot to shoot. I'm right at 2,000 rounds now without a hiccup and the gun is fine in terms of accuracy. I trust it, I like it, and yes, I'd buy another. Do I carry it? Sometimes. More often than not, I just carry an old cheap, beater Glock and call it good. My only gripe is getting the right recoil springs from Ruger, but I'm sure that will soon taken care of.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druryj View Post
Me either. I guess I'm lucky. My little SR1911 LW CMD in 9mm is just a hoot to shoot. I'm right at 2,000 rounds now without a hiccup and the gun is fine in terms of accuracy. I trust it, I like it, and yes, I'd buy another. Do I carry it? Sometimes. More often than not, I just carry an old cheap, beater Glock and call it good. My only gripe is getting the right recoil springs from Ruger, but I'm sure that will soon taken care of.

Hi Drury, I'm still using my stock springs - but when I do upgrade I'm Going with BH Spring Solutions. They seem to have a superior product & are reasonable + very helpful.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Dave View Post
When one builds excellent, premium pistols in the $3000 - $10,000+ range I would expect him to be disappointed with assembly line pistols. If he were not, I would seriously question the worth of his work.

That said, when one observes the volume of arms coming from Ruger against the volume of quality coming from Cabot, there is no comparison.

I HAVE Rugers (among others) and I LIKE them.
I LIKE Cabots, but will probably never HAVE one.

Am I disappointed? Not In The Least!
Took the words right outta my mouth Red Dirt Dave! Only word I may have substituted was Wilson for Cabot, but what do I know and I'll never find out!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
Hi Drury, I'm still using my stock springs - but when I do upgrade I'm Going with BH Spring Solutions. They seem to have a superior product & are reasonable + very helpful.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:04 AM

What GeorgeMT posted basically mirrors my experience with the sr1911.

I own about half a dozen other 1911 pistols. The sr1911 definitely exhibits the lowest Zoot Factor. It is butt-ugly. If inflation is factored in, it is probably the least expensive. But I will not spend thousands of dollars on a truck or carry gun.

The MIM parts concerned me at first, but it's a Ruger, and they know how to make that work..

I think it's a terrific deal for the money.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 AM

When good enough is good enough

In the OPs posting, he links a youtube video. In it, a person is pushing down on the barrel and it is moving down. But I also see the slide is moving back so wouldn't the barrel be going down and swinging on the link naturally? I know I am no expert, but it seems like an incomplete test to me. Not enough information. But I am perfectly willing to be wrong and know that I don't know exactly what he is trying to show.

I don't own any true high end pistols. I absolutely appreciate fine machining and art, but they rarely fit my income profile. Would love to own an (xyz, fill in the blank) someday just to pet and play with.

However, I do own some nice Springfields and Rugers. My early production full size Ruger SR1911 is tight, accurate and has a fantastic trigger. My SR1911 CMD is accurate and combat ready. I love how they work and shoot. I also love that I didn't have to give up too much to get them. Along with that, anything I would carry will get beat up in the day to day, and possibly confiscated in case of an unfortunate event. High end toys may not belong in that use for me.

I love and appreciate that people have fancy cars, fancy motorcycles, cool whatever. Makes it a more enjoyable world. But I never look down on the guy that has a reliable good tool that gets the job done.

Your Corvette is very cool. I bet just a hoot to drive and that must be enjoyable. But on a snowy day where they have dumped a ton of salt on the highway, you would probably feel better in my KIA minivan. They both get you to the store to pick up some lumber. Well, the Corvette might not...right tool for the job kinda thing. I'm not picking up too many hotties in my minivan either. But I can pick up their stuff! Wait a minute...that might explain a few things...
Old 02-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles68 View Post
Other than this I love my Ruger

What caused that to happen???
Old 02-10-2017, 02:02 PM

I just checked my SR1911CMD and no movement as shown in the video. Mine is a 2016 build, so maybe it was worked out.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:38 PM

The Ruger is a mass produced gun. Their fit and finish is no way comparable to the other production guns. And the consistency is lessor. There are not many craftsmen involved it its production. They hire low cost CNC push button operators.
Ruger talks about their All American manufacturing. However, they use products from China in their process. Hippocrates
Old 02-12-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
The Ruger...Their fit and finish is no way comparable to the other production guns. And the consistency is lessor. There are not many craftsmen involved it its production. They hire low cost CNC push button operators.
Ruger talks about their All American manufacturing. However, they use products from China in their process. Hippocrates
How do you know all of this? Can you share your sources for these assertions? What products from China are used in their process?
Inquiring minds would like to know.