1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-11-2016, 10:09 PM

Baby Rock 380

Where are the Baby Rocks.

I was told they would be available in May 2016. Then June and then July.

No Baby Rocks yet. What gives?
Old 08-16-2016, 10:32 PM

We had some magazine issues and had to find another supplier. Guns are shipping out slowly now. Have your FFL check with RSR, Davidson's, Zanders and Lipseys just to name a few. Believe me as soon as our distributors receive them they are already spoken for by dealers waiting on them for back orders.

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 08-19-2016, 10:35 PM

Cool. I want to see one.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 02:08 AM

Shoot at one local range which stocks several hundred models for their "shoot before you buy" program. Tried a Browning of 380 caliber and not impressed with the lightweight frame. They haven't been successful at obtaining any and hesitate to offer not knowing if they'll be available if a customer wants to buy.
RIA seems to have more difficulty with new model releases than other manufacturers. May be best to wait a couple of years.

Last edited by fletchwe; 08-20-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:50 AM

Excellent review of it in the Gun Tests I got earlier this week.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:59 AM

Ran a search on Gun Tests' site under "A" and "R", but didn't see the Baby Rock listed. Can you provide a link?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:20 AM

Vaporware?

For a while Cabela's was accepting back orders for the Baby Rock but they canceled my order last week and it is no longer listed on their web site. I have a SA 1911 in 45 ACP and a Browning 1911-22. I really want a Baby Rock to fill in the gap in my collection and I refuse to buy the polymer frame Browning.

Each month I email Armscor Support asking when the Baby Rock will ship and each month I am told something like "the end of the month" or "next month" or "they're starting to ship slowly now".

It sounds like what the computer industry calls vaporware. A manufacture will float an idea for a product and maybe show a prototype to the press to gauge demand. There are no actual plans for production and if the manufacturer decides that the demand will never be great enough there never will be.

Has anyone out there actually received a retail Baby Rock? Does anyone know of a gun shop or distributor that has, or even has had, them in stock?
Old 10-06-2016, 07:09 PM

Received my Baby Rock

My Baby Rock finally arrived last Tuesday. I was able to get six extra factory mags so I can load up 50 rounds at one time. I took it to the range last night and again tonight.

It shoots well and to point of aim. The trigger breaks cleanly with no creep. The grip safety has to be fully depressed and could use a memory bump. I normally use a thumb high grip where my thumb rests on top of the thumb safety. The knob on the safety of the Baby Rock is just a bit too low for that to be comfortable for me. With the way the grip safety needs to be bottomed it forces me to grasp the pistol with the knob of the thumb safety pressing against the inside of my thumb. It nearly raised a blister after 50 rounds last night. Tonight I wore a shooting glove.

The recoil spring is stiffer than I expected, as are the magazine springs. I had to break out one of my magazine stuffers to get the mags fully loaded. They will hold eight rounds but you better have a loading tool or one heck of a strong thumb.

In my first 100 rounds I experienced numerous jams. In a few cases the fresh round would tip up and miss entering the chamber, jamming vertically. In most instances the fresh round would not tip up at all as the slide started to push it forward and the round would nose into be frame just below the feed ramp. This occurred about half the time in the first 50 rounds, and somewhat less frequently over the next 50. I was shooting Winchester white box hardball and American Eagle hardball.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:41 PM

Did you shoot more than 100 rounds? I'm pleased to hear these are finally shipping, and hopefully Armscor quickly works thru any issues.

How much did you pay BTW?
Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 AM

I handled a baby rock right around the end of last year at an independent gun shop. Felt really nice and smooth and a great trigger on dry fire. I called them twice over the following 2 weeks asking what they wanted for it. The guy that answered the phone wasn't sure what he was talking about and kept quoting a price $50 over msrp as the msrp. I finally got frustrated trying to "educate" him and ordered it from another independent shop at $40 under msrp. That was January 8th of 2016 and still no gun. The shop tells me there is no way to know when it will appear. The distributor just finds out when they open their shipment. Really? In this day and age? Maybe I should have cooled off and got the one I had in my hand...
Old 10-23-2016, 08:24 AM

I have no desire for a 1911 in .380. I do own a Makarov in .380, & a 9x18 Makarov, + a polish P64 in 9x18. All are more compact, lighter, accurate & reliable. I always prefer these for C.C. Especially since installing the Israeli beavertail - mag release GRIPS on the Makarovs. Highly recommended.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:48 PM

"Really? In this day and age?"

Was recently discussing inventory management at the LGS. There truly seems to be no real supply chain management in the gun business. Manufs have favorite distributors, distributors have fave dealers, etc. "Surprise" deliveries appear to be "business as usual". Long waiting times (with no status updates) are normal.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchwe View Post
Ran a search on Gun Tests' site under "A" and "R", but didn't see the Baby Rock listed. Can you provide a link?
Sorry, missed this . Only subscribers to the monthly report get online access to reviews.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Check Gunbroker. I bought one there last night
Old 11-21-2016, 05:17 PM

Just got mine in today. My local dealer says his Distributor got in 100 Friday and sent him 6. I finally got mine. I ordered it a year ago in May.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0785.JPG  
Old 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM

not in my hands yet, but

I ordered my Baby Rock on January 8th, 2016. I just got notified it is now at my LGS. Picking it up today. Maybe they do exist!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:23 AM

My local shop got 3 in.
Under $400 I believe.
It does feel good in my hand.
Recoil spring is stiff, and mag spring was super stiff.
I'm thinking I'll get it if they still have it on my next pay day
Old 12-04-2016, 09:46 AM

http://www.riflegear.com/p-7013-rock...o-375-7rd.aspx

Try here.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:54 AM

Well, I picked up my Baby Rock up a bit over a week ago and have taken it to the range twice now. Trigger is nice and the accuracy seems good. But, there is an issue. I noticed right away at the gun shop, that the slide stop moves out and catches the takedown notch when an empty mag is in place. Strange thing is that when firing, it doesn't jam. Occasionally the slide won't lock open after the last shot, but only occasionally. There have been no other failures after about 200 rounds of various ammo. Still, if you are at the bench and insert the empty mag, the slide/slide stop will jam in the takedown notch. Simply pressing the slide stop back flush with the frame will release the slide. I also notice that the slide stop will not move up and engage the slide stop notch by itself when simply hand cycling with the empty magazine. It moves stiffly if you press it up into place. However, when firing it does lock open the majority of the time. If there is no magazine in the gun, the slide stop moves freely, as it should. Obviously, there is some poor interaction between the mag and the slide stop but I have looked and can't see what it is. With the magazine out of the gun, everything slides normally. I will be contacting RIA about this. I imagine a different mag and/or slide stop may solve this. I waited almost a year for this and am just a little reluctant to send it in. Other than this little issue, the gun shoots great!
Old 12-12-2016, 03:15 PM

They meaning RIA. Has been saying the hold up on the 380 delivery has been the magazine manufactuer. Maybe this is still the problem your having. New gun old mag??
Old 12-13-2016, 09:55 AM

Got mine last week and it had to go back to the mothership immediately due to a finish issue under the ejection port. Didn't even get to shoot it. I thought about returning it rather than accepting the transfer but due to the scarcity of these, I elected to send it in under warranty.

So hopefully, I will have it back before Christmas but probably won't be until after the new year.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:53 PM

Just got my baby rock Friday after about 7months on the list. Shot on sat, jammed on first rack, bullet jammed on feed ramp. Overcame that but ran into a problem with thumb safety. Seem the safety would move just enough to engage and prevent firing. Could have been me with a high hold or just the recoil that moved it. In 50 rd happened multiple times. Took safety out could not see anything strange. Looks like the plunger detention does not engage the indentation in the safety. Easy to move with just a nudge. Took it to LGS he agreed it was loose and needed to be fixed. Contacted RI sending it in tomorrow. Not acceptable as a carry gun until fixed. Feels great looks great really bummed out, just need to shoot something else.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:28 PM

Still available

My local dealer in Sulphur, Louisiana still has some in stock. $399. Great little gun, I have only shot it a couple of times. With the Armscor ammo it is a bit snappy. With my reloads it is a tad better. It is accurate with either ammo. My dealer is Gator Gun and knife store on Hwy 108 in Sulphur, La.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
I have no desire for a 1911 in .380. I do own a Makarov in .380, & a 9x18 Makarov, + a polish P64 in 9x18. All are more compact, lighter, accurate & reliable. I always prefer these for C.C. Especially since installing the Israeli beavertail - mag release GRIPS on the Makarovs. Highly recommended.
It's a mini 1911, not full size
Old 12-24-2016, 03:15 PM

I also just bought the new Baby Rock for $368 (reg. $409 less 10% xmas sale), but came stock with only one mag. Which for the price wasn't a deal-breaker. Funny thing is when I first walked-up to the display case and asked the person behind the counter: "if they had the Baby Rock?" They replied no - but when I looked down at the pistols on display, there it was top shelf, right in front of me.

SS

Last edited by superstroke; 12-24-2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: forgot to sign