Brass scrounging observations - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 02:54 PM

Should be no surprise that the revolver calibers are rare to find at the range. What I see is the revolver guys unload empties into their hand and police their brass as they shoot it. It doesn't fly around the range like those semi's! I usually shoot my semi autos, but when I take the revolvers for a stroll at the range, I smile a little that I don't have to bend over to recover my brass. Life's simple pleasures.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.paul View Post
Should be no surprise that the revolver calibers are rare to find at the range. What I see is the revolver guys unload empties into their hand and police their brass as they shoot it. It doesn't fly around the range like those semi's! I usually shoot my semi autos, but when I take the revolvers for a stroll at the range, I smile a little that I don't have to bend over to recover my brass. Life's simple pleasures.
So true, sir.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:50 AM

Reloading 9mm and cost savings....

People often say they can purchase 9mm ammo for near the same cost of reloading....and I just smile.... The most expensive part of reloading is the cost of the brass case. Since I pick up once fired brass 9mm cases quite often at my local private gun club range, from people that leave it on the ground, I never have to purchase 9mm brass

Attached is my cost of reloading a box of 9mm with a Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP bullet....which is quite accurate in my 9mm guns. My cost is $6.43 cents per box since I don't have to pay for brass cases. I use this load for IDPA, three gun, and for Action Steel Matches. I use a 9mm Major load for USPSA in my STI Tru Bor barrel "racegun" in the Open Division..... which makes the 165 Power Factor.

I am able to make very accurate loads for my 9mm guns, and that fact alone is worth reloading, but I have never found a 50 round box of 9mm ammo with JHP bullets for anywhere near that low price....so I save a lot of money reloading 9mm, and shoot about 12-13K rounds per year! I usually purchase powder and primers through Powder Valley, and may purchase several 4 lb. kegs of various powders and 5K small pistol primers, and perhaps 1-2 thousand small rifle primers for my AR-15 rifles.....I also reload for my AR-15's and obtain excellent MOA accuracy with a substantial savings in cost...… When I am reloading my 9mm mags at a match, some competitors notice I use JHP bullets and ask me "why?" I have found that JHP bullets often have better accuracy than lead or jacketed round nose bullets....
Attached Thumbnails
1-19 Cost of 50 round box of 9mm reloads.jpg  

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 02-05-2020 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:24 AM

Right on brother!
It is all too common to hear the blither blather about reloading for 9 and 223 not being feasible. As you mention, the accuracy factor alone is huge.
Of course, SOME of us (certainly not me) have an endless supply of disposable cash and can afford to buy cases upon cases of new ammo. I cringe when I hear those stories. Oh well......somebody has to keep the supply of once fired brass going. They have no idea about the accuracy they sacrifice.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:35 AM

Reloading and shooting....

When a person shoots competitively, and often shoots higher volumes of ammo, no matter how much money they have, it makes sense to reload to tailor the load for their gun for greater accuracy…...
Old 02-05-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
When a person shoots competitively, and often shoots higher volumes of ammo, no matter how much money they have, it makes sense to reload to tailor the load for their gun for greater accuracy…... [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/rock.gif[/IMG]
It makes sense when you reload for hunting, & pleasure, plus it's fun reloading your own ammo!
Old 02-05-2020, 02:44 PM

If I leave brass it is because it is on its last legs.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
It makes sense when you reload for hunting, & pleasure, plus it's fun reloading your own ammo!
Some people are skeert of it!