Ruger American Pistol - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-26-2019, 07:35 PM

Ruger American Pistol

From what I've heard, this isn't a bad handgun (just ugly, maybe) but it seems to have vanished from the radar, in a sea of polymer 9mm's. I've seen them as low as $300 which is even cheaper than most of the Turkish guns out there.

A swing and a miss by Ruger, or does this gun have something to recommend over the other scores of similar handguns?
Old 09-26-2019, 07:57 PM

I guess Im kind of a geezer when it comes to guns. When I want a 1911, I buy Colt. When I want a wheel gun I go with S&W. When I want a plastic fantastic striker, I go with Glock. I know everyone makes a striker gun now days but I like Glock. They've been making them since 86 relatively unchanged. They are ugly, kinda blocky to hold but they work. I remember when the Ruger American came out with lots of buzz then just fell off the radar seems like. I don't even think Ive seen one at a LGS. After having a finish issue on a used Ruger Vaquero and them refinishing the gun, replacing all the springs, and some of the small parts all on their dime, I wouldn't be worried about Ruger leaving you high and dry if you ran into problems.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:59 PM

I know a couple that has two, one for him, one for wife.

They enjoy shooting them & have burnt up a lot of ammo without any trouble, per what they have told me. So, at least for them, it's a thumb's up.

That's all I got on these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 10:05 PM

I prefer their SR series.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:19 PM

A friend of mine has one that I've shot. I don't recall it jamming and as long as he wasn't shooting it, pretty accurate. I think it fits in the hand well enough, has excellent rear grasping grooves, decent trigger when broke in, and very well made
Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 AM

Ruger makes good guns and has top notch customer service. Yes I am a fanboy. If they had the same marketing people as glock then you woud see more in the holsters of leos.

Back on topic the American series are good guns and if I did not have the sr45 then I would get one but since the sr is technically the wife's and if I see a new one for 3 bills then it will follow me home.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Just one more missed the mark handgun from ruger . Seems like ruger needs some different handgun designers .
Old 09-27-2019, 01:51 PM

We all have different opinions and likes and dislikes. I don't have a dog in this hunt, since I have no experience with the Ruger American pistol. But my preferences for any firearm is that most important is that they first are dependable and work well, plus being sold by a Company that stands behind their products. Any mechanical thing can have issues. If the maker takes care of those, then all is well. Secondly, I'm a function over form man first of all, and next comes ergonomics. Does the gun fit me well? Can I handle and used it efficiently and well, and is it accurate enough for it's purpose? If so, I can do with it what I need to do.

I've owned several Ruger handguns over the years, and every one of them worked. Like other companies, I think Ruger has made some models that could have been designed a bit better for optimum use. So has every other maker I have experience with. I own a Ruger American Predator Rifle that is hands down the best hunting/shooting rifle I have ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of them. It is not pretty, the stock on it is cheap, which allowed Ruger to sell it at a price point to compete with the market, and it just flat works and works extrememly well. The caliber (6.5 Creedmore) has been a pure pleasure for me to get acquainted with. I can fire it more accurately than any other rifle I have ever owned, cheap stock and all. I can do that at much longer distances than with any other rifle I have owned. I do not choose to do that except just for pleasure to see if I can do it. Doubt if I'll ever take a shot at any animal much beyond 300 yards, but I do know that I can hit one at longer distances if I should choose to do so. I have complete confidence in this rifle. So, in my opinion, Ruger is a great company to do business with over all. Most of my handguns are S&W because I have much longer experience with them, like the way they look and function for me, and they just make me smile, same as my red headed wife does. Lots of other fine women out there, but she's my choice. Perfect? No, but perfect for me.

Ain't it great that we have so many choices to choose between? Slater, IMO, the only way you'll ever know whether you will like this brand and model of semi auto handgun is to handle and fire one for yourself. Maybe you can rent one. Maybe someone you know who has one will let you shoot it sometime. Or maybe you'll just have to buy one and try if for yourself. It appears to me that most of the responses you have received here indicate that the gun works well. That would go a long way for me to decide to spend my money for one, IF I could handle one in a dealership and see how it fits my hands and feels. If that is acceptable, I say it's worth taking a chance on with a good chance of success and approval. Sure wouldn't be just a shot in the dark! Good luck with it.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Jeff Cooper

Last edited by kthom; 09-27-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:33 PM

I found the Ruger American pistol to be a poorly designed pistol. My main complaint is that the trigger safety lever is too lose in the trigger. For someone like me, who has short fingers, when pressing the trigger safety lever the finger will place a small about of lateral force on the trigger safety lever. This will cause the trigger to lock. The gun likely won't function when you most need it too. I do not believe I could have trained myself around this problem. As a result I went with a M&P 2.0 which also has a trigger safety, but does not have any lateral play.

I own a lot of Rugers and 100% of them had to be modified to make them a reliable gun. I would never trust my life with a Ruger. Ruger guns are for fun only in my opinion. Even my Ruger Precision rife is unreliable from the factory. I keep buying them because their cheap and I'm a fool.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:23 PM

That's funny because I own many Rugers and I have never had a failure of any kind with any of them.

I did have a single six I bought used that did not have the accuracy that I thought it should. Ruger repaired it at no cost to me and it is now very accurate.

It has been quite a few years since I have purchased a new one. So the newer ones may not be quite as good. But every Ruger that I own is at least as well made as firearms that cost much more.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Cracked Brass, I guess everyone has favorites and dogs. My personal experience with Ruger has been nothing but positive. Never have had a major problem, or any indication ever that they wouldnít function reliably. I have two SR1911s in 45, one is an officer model for edc, the other is full size and rests on the bedside table when itís not at the range. I made a list of all the handguns Iíve owned over 50 years, out of 28/total, 11have been Rugers, the most accurate rifle I ever owned was a Ruger in 280 Rem. Guess Iím a fan, of 10 on hand today, six are Rugers. The very few times I have dealt with customer service it has been excellent. Best value for the money.
OBTW, the full size with my target load cuts one ragged 2Ē hole at 16 yds.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:35 PM

In my classes it’s always a gun I suggest for new shooters on a budget. Cheap. It works. And ruger will take care of you!

Ruger has been mostly a dud with striker fired guns for some reason. The SR9 was a good gun too. They just never really sold.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:51 PM

We have one here. I bought it for my wife. She is averse to recoil so I got her a full sized 9mm. It works. It has 3 different backstraps that you can change out to get a better fit for your hand size. My wife likes hers. There is a little torx wrench included with the pistol that can be used to change the back straps. The SR guns have a following but I never liked the magazine disconnect safety design on them. They can also be had now for about the same money. To be honest the one we have hasn't been shot a lot. My wife isn't as much of a shooter as I am & tend to shoot my M&P 2.0 40 Compact most as that is what I carry.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildphil View Post
That's funny because I own many Rugers and I have never had a failure of any kind with any of them.
Ruger pistols for the most part, have a good reputation for reliability. Accuracy on the other hand, not so much. The P85, P89, and P90 would feed anything, but were barn door MOA.

The American pistol's only crime is being ugly. It's packed with features you normally don't find on poly guns, like the trigger being metal, or a steel guide rod.

My Brother bought one a little over a year ago, and I wanted to hate it so bad. The truth is, it is a really well made pistol, reliable, and actually accurate.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 10-01-2019, 06:27 AM

I wanted a Ruger American Pistol when they came out, but my SR9c works fabulous for a higher capacity handgun. I originally bought the SR9c when it looked like decent capacity magazines were being targeted by the Obama administration. I prefer my 1911's but thought there should be a higher capacity magazine choice in my safe. But I still was intrigued by the Ruger American when it was introduced, and thought I might grab one if I saw one for less than $400. A couple of months ago I spied one in a gun shop's used case for a little over $300. It looked pretty nice so I had them take it out. It looked new. I asked if they could do better. I got that thing for $275. I almost felt guilty but I had them check the price again. Well, it was legit so I took it home. I tore it down and couldn't find any evidence it had ever been fired. Score one for the little guy! But how does it fire?

First trip to the range, I found out. This Ruger American Pistol is great! Very accurate, comfortable, right amount of tight. Good trigger! It worked flawlessly. I think Ruger did a great job here. I consider it one of my better pistols. Don't know what the original purchaser was thinking. This is my go to high cap now. A little large to carry. If I need to carry a high cap it will still be the SR9c. But otherwise the RAP, hands down. And I got the adapter to use the magazines in my Ruger PC9 carbine. Great to have choices.

don't need a high cap? Well, then it's my 1911's, of course.