Ruge SR1911CMD (SS 4.25" 1911) - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-19-2017, 12:48 PM

Good thread.
I've put about 700 rounds through my Ruger CMD.
I replaced the sights with Truglo TFO (for commander) but they hit too high, put original rear back on and left the front Troglo. (Maybe it won't break)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:49 PM

I picked up a lightweight commander in 9mm a couple days ago. I've been shooting it with handloads. One load is a 125 gr lead round nose flat point made for cowboy action. I load it with 4 gr ww231in mixed range brass and use it for IDPA as throw away loads, don't bother to pick up the brass. The other load is a 150 gr swc coated from Bayou bullets made for the 38 Super. I load it with 3.4 gr of WW231. It shoots very well in my gun. I've shot both loads from the factory mags, 38 Super mags, and even a 40 S&W mag with no problems at all. The factory mags seem to have a very strong spring and are very hard to get 9 rds in. They are also hard to seat with the slide closed. My 38 Super mags feed just as well and are much easier to load and seat. Altogether I've fired about 500 rds without any issues at all.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ1015 View Post
I would expect it to be returned quickly. The one pistol I sent back to Ruger was back within a week. Ruger service usually takes good care of their customers.
According to the mail tracking number, Ruger received the slide on 8/14/17 and I've not heard anything from Ruger. I've sent them 3 emails/messages now. I hope I hear something from them this week, even if it's the slide being returned.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
According to the mail tracking number, Ruger received the slide on 8/14/17 and I've not heard anything from Ruger. I've sent them 3 emails/messages now. I hope I hear something from them this week, even if it's the slide being returned.
Give them a call...sometimes emails get lost in the system. I've always had better luck with a phone call than an email.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
Give them a call...sometimes emails get lost in the system. I've always had better luck with a phone call than an email.
I did give a call and the slide, along with my emails, had gotten lost in Ruger's system. The Customer Service Phone-Rep seemed to be able to track the slide down and I'm confident it will now be located and repaired soon. If all now goes well, I expect I'll see it back, repaired, sometime next week.

I'm traveling this week anyway, just not carrying that Ruger on this trip.

The Customer Service Rep did have some good product knowledge regarding my front sight. My new, but old stock Ruger was made in 2013. By 2014, Ruger was aware of its 1911 front sights breaking and in 2014 began using a different sight design or different sight manufacturing method and my replacement sight will be the current front sight which cured the older sights' breakage problems.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I did give a call and the slide, along with my emails, had gotten lost in Ruger's system. The Customer Service Phone-Rep seemed to be able to track the slide down and I'm confident it will now be located and repaired soon. If all now goes well, I expect I'll see it back, repaired, sometime next week.

I'm traveling this week anyway, just not carrying that Ruger on this trip.

The Customer Service Rep did have some good product knowledge regarding my front sight. My new, but old stock Ruger was made in 2013. By 2014, Ruger was aware of its 1911 front sights breaking and in 2014 began using a different sight design or different sight manufacturing method and my replacement sight will be the current front sight which cured the older sights' breakage problems.
I'm glad you made the call, and now know what is going on with your slide.

My SR1911 CMD was made on January 13, 2017...which is a Friday. The good news is that it's past the breakage problems...and hopefully, this Friday the 13th gun will be a lucky one for me. So far, it seems to be. I hope yours turns out to be a good one for you from now on.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:30 AM

Update. Yesterday (5/24/18) at 7200 rounds, the front sight broke-off again. The front sight did last 6000 rounds compared to the first one lasting only 1200 rounds. The front sight breaks off while shooting.

The slide is already on its way back to AZ for replacement. I'll decide if/when it breaks a third time whether I replace the front sight with something else or send the slide back again.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger1911CMD_11.jpg  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM

How is front sight number 3 working out?
Old 06-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeingeorgia View Post
How is front sight number 3 working out?
I've only put ~200 rounds through front sight #3 and it hasn't yet broken.
For now, I've retired this gun to the back of the safe.
If there's someone in NV, I'll make them a good deal for it.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:15 PM

Ruger uses Novak sight cuts. If you don’t trust the pistol to the point you want to sell it send the sllde to Novak and have them install one of their sights. Add a low mount adjustable rear to that order and you’ll have a sweet sight set.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Update:
10/20/18 at 8700 rounds and I'm glad to report the 3rd front sight is still doing fine.

Another pleasant surprise was I tightened up my accuracy (@ 15 yards) by installing a different barrel bushing.

I didn't want to spend any more money than I had to with this gun, but wanted to try another barrel bushing. I realized I had an extra (actually two) spare Kimber barrel bushing in my parts box. Kimber doesn't have a "Commander" 4.25" 1911 as their closest models are 4.0" bushingless bull-barreled types.

The stock Kimber bushing had a nicely tighter fit, yet could still be assembled & disassembled by hand. I, therefore, cut down the full-size bushing with a hacksaw and cleaned up the burrs and the Kimber bushing is working great. I may actually keep this 1911 after-all. I'll estimate my 15 yard group shrunk another few inches. My group is still large, but that's just me with my limited shooting abilities.

For Post#35, I installed a Novak adjustable rear sight and dialed-in my group to my liking. Ruger's store has one for sale, but I found one (I think the same sight) on Brownell's.

Summary: It's a good 4.25" Commander-sized 1911. Should you buy one, be aware the front sight could break-off and consider replacing the front sight with an aftermarket one, although Ruger will repair such sight under warranty and only the slide would need to be sent in.

Small parts could be substituted-in if desired, such as: a plunger spring (my safety's action seemed a bit "soft"); grips; firing pin stop; rear sight; front sight; and barrel bushing. The front sight(s) were all that were necessary due to breakage and Ruger replaced under warranty. Recoil springs were replaced at ~2K to 3K intervals.

Last edited by L-2; 10-20-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:39 PM

Update 12/1/18

12/1/2018, Saturday: ~10,090 rounds; slide-stop lobe broke off. This is common with any of my 1911 guns, regardless of slide-stop brand, although round counts will vary as to when the lobes will break off. I'll see if Ruger will send me a new one when I call them next week when they're open.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0663.HEIC copy.jpg  

Last edited by L-2; 12-01-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Update.
On 12/14/18 the Novak adjustable rear sight came apart while shooting this Ruger .45ACP 4.25" (SR1911CMD), losing the rear adjustment screw. I bought the rear sight aftermarket, but seems to be the same rear sight if I'd bought it directly from Ruger's online store.

I reinstalled the stock fixed rear sight for now. I've also ordered a new front sight, as the stock sights on this older model Ruger shoot a bit low for me. I've since learned later Ruger 1911s come with a lower front sight, which may dial in my POA to POI better. I also ordered another adjustable rear sight.

I ordered the replacement parts directly from Ruger this time and expect receipt during the first week of January '19. When I get around to it, I'll see if the new lower front sight dials in my sighting. BTW, I'm currently at 11,000 rounds.

(At ~$400/1000 rounds, sometimes I wonder if, next time, I should just buy a higher-end 1911, like a Wilson-Combat, and shoot less, all for ~the same amount of money.)

Last edited by L-2; 01-01-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:50 PM

The Ruger SR1911 is a mighty fine gun. Zero issues, great price. Highly recommend
Attached Thumbnails
20170927_042802.jpg  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:08 PM

Ruger has been having serious problems with their sights for some time now. Monkey metal makes a lousy sight.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:39 PM

I have the novak night sights and have lost track of the round count, several thousand, no issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 07:56 PM

I have the SR1911 CMD and freekin love it. As a matter of fact I just cleaned it for my range trip this weekend. I love the freekin thing, it just runs and runs. Prefer it over my Kimber, which cost three times as much....
Old 03-29-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Update.
On 12/14/18 the Novak adjustable rear sight came apart while shooting this Ruger .45ACP 4.25" (SR1911CMD), losing the rear adjustment screw. I bought the rear sight aftermarket, but seems to be the same rear sight if I'd bought it directly from Ruger's online store.

I reinstalled the stock fixed rear sight for now. I've also ordered a new front sight, as the stock sights on this older model Ruger shoot a bit low for me. I've since learned later Ruger 1911s come with a lower front sight, which may dial in my POA to POI better. I also ordered another adjustable rear sight.

I ordered the replacement parts directly from Ruger this time and expect receipt during the first week of January '19. When I get around to it, I'll see if the new lower front sight dials in my sighting. BTW, I'm currently at 11,000 rounds.

(At ~$400/1000 rounds, sometimes I wonder if, next time, I should just buy a higher-end 1911, like a Wilson-Combat, and shoot less, all for ~the same amount of money.)

I've been following your thread as I just bought a CMD a few weeks ago and remembered reading on a forum a few years ago about the front sight issue. Back then I posted on another 1911 site asking if the issue had been resolved and was met with several individuals questioning my knowledge of 1911s. They hadn't heard of such a problem. If my front sight shears off I think I may just buy a Novak or other non-MIM aftermarket replacement. Thanks for your thread. tom.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:16 AM

I must have near a 1000 rounds through my CMD. It is one of the better shooting 1911's I have and I really like all of my 1911's Springfields and Rugers. When I first got it, the trigger was slightly creepy, but I took it apart and cleaned it up slightly and that straightened out. It is accurate and I really like the length Funny thing is, at first blush I know some would dismiss this gun. It was a deal to buy, the initial trigger wasn't "perfect" but took so little to change, and it has a very off center primer strike. But it is very accurate, has never had a failure to fire or stoppage of any kind and feels great! It has become one of my favorites At least I know which brass is mine on the floor. I love it. I may change to a Tru glow sight just because the sights are getting harder to see (not the guns fault).
Old 08-31-2019, 06:38 PM

Same experiences with my CMD1911. Preemptive action was to replace the front. Then one thing led to another and I let my gunsmith go to town. From Will OíHara in Corona, CA.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:34 AM

Nice work on that CMD. Enjoy!
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:03 AM

fatcat................i just purchased a SR1911 Commander and would like to get the front strap checkered like yours.
Where did you get yours done?
Old 09-28-2019, 08:41 PM

A Few Upgrades

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruger CMD Wilson.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	564784