1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Yes, SWC shoulders and lever actions do not always get along.
There are roundnose flatpoints and truncated cones to smooth things up.
Long for caliber with a large Meplats too sometimes. The .411 265gr True Shot gas checked bullets end up with a COL of 1.715 or so which is too long for the carrier to raise the cartridge in my Henry chambered in .41 Remington Mag. The good news is that it feeds 250gr LFN bullets just fine and while a little balky it does handle LSWC's okay.

YMMV...
Old 10-02-2018, 07:23 AM

I too have a Henry Big Boy All Weather in 357. What a great rifle! I thought having my Ruger Match Champion GP100 on my hip and my Henry in my hands was a great idea. What I found was that the Henry could utilize loads I would find "unpleasant" in the revolver. Oh well. The rifle does great with the handgun loads so that is always an option.

Last deer season I took a nice medium sized deer at 125 yards with that Henry using a 158 grn. Montana Gold jacketed hollow point sitting over 16.8 grains of H110. Probably a bit hot and could be dialed back a bit. I sighted the gun and scope in at 100 yards and grouped about 1.5". I held the crosshairs on that deer at 125 and the bullet went to point of aim. Through and through shot that blew the top heart chamber to smithereens. I don't know what it chrono'd at, but that load was accurate and effective. I wouldn't want to shoot that load in the handgun.

Generally, in my testing, everything that worked well in my revolver worked well in my lever. But hot handgun loads that are tough on me in the revolver, work great in the rifle. I also tried some Hornady Critical Duty ammo in my Henry with very accurate results. I loaded up some of the XTP bullets to try. We'll see in a few weeks which one quiets the deer this season.

Last edited by mr.paul; 10-02-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:17 AM

Im curious to hear about other folks experience with light Revolver loads in the Henry. I have a bunch of light 231 loads with 158 SWC and they just get randomly spit out to the tune of a 24 group at 100 yards. Fantastic accuracy out of the wheeler.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:48 PM

I have accumulated quite a bit of carbine/rifle specific data for 357, and it looks like the max loads are higher... are the lawyers assuming carbines and rifles are stronger than wheel guns?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:05 PM

I have had great luck with 158gr coated swc bullets and CFE Pistol loaded in .357 cases. I shoot this from a Rossi 92. I use 6.5grains of CFE Pistol.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I have accumulated quite a bit of carbine/rifle specific data for 357, and it looks like the max loads are higher... are the lawyers assuming carbines and rifles are stronger than wheel guns?
I doubt that the lawyers are being consulted, but the data publishers feel that way.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 PM

Have shot some .38spl loads in .38 cases from my Henry, 20" barrel. Those fed fine, but, did not group very good at 50 yards. Around 3.5-4.0" groups. .357 ammo, factory American Eagle 158gr JSP grouped very well at same distance. 1.125" per 5 shot group.
This with a Weaver 1-3x20mm scope. I need the assistance. Next time I load .38 loads, it will be in .357 case as I've mentioned before. Then, we'll see how that goes.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTom View Post
Have shot some .38spl loads in .38 cases from my Henry, 20" barrel. Those fed fine, but, did not group very good at 50 yards. Around 3.5-4.0" groups. .357 ammo, factory American Eagle 158gr JSP grouped very well at same distance. 1.125" per 5 shot group.
This with a Weaver 1-3x20mm scope. I need the assistance. Next time I load .38 loads, it will be in .357 case as I've mentioned before. Then, we'll see how that goes.
Please post back when you do. It seems that you just need a bit of snot to begin grouping well. Far less than wrist buster velocity, but somewhere in the middle brought things together for me. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Im curious to hear about other folks experience with light Revolver loads in the Henry. I have a bunch of light 231 loads with 158 SWC and they just get randomly spit out to the tune of a 24 group at 100 yards. Fantastic accuracy out of the wheeler.
Try a bottom load of Unique. Yeah, it's going to be dirty but minimum charges of Unique work well in both my .41 S&W and the Henry (only tested out to about 50 yds) as do some that were listed in the Laser Cast manual that are reduced from the standard minimum for cowboy loads.

You might give Trail Boss and Tite Group a try also...

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 10-26-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:55 AM

I have the Big Boy All Weather in 357. What a nice rifle! I used it last year to take a nice, medium sized doe at 125 yards using a Montana Gold 158 jhp over a 16.8 gr load of H110. Great terminal results. Blew the top of her heart apart on a through and through shot. I had the scope sighted to be "on" at 100 yards. I would have had no qualms at all using the Hornady Critical Duty that was in the Ruger GP100 Match Champion that was on my side at the time either. They are very accurate through the Henry. Though I like the fact that I can use my handgun ammo in my rifle, I wouldn't probably use my hot rifle rounds in my handgun. Just too hot to be pleasant to shoot that way. I have shot very soft .38 loads through the Henry with decent results. They are quiet and hardly recoil.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:30 AM

I did a lot of load development for a 357 Ruger carbine using coated bullets. I finally gave up on the heavier loads using coated lead. Accuracy was falling off as the velocity went up. Might have had something to do with the barrel, not sure. It's pretty easy to get a 125 gr bullet up to 1800 fps in a carbine by using some of the hotter listed loads.

I would say if you're going to go into the upper half of the load data (>1200) you probably want FMJ bullets or gas check your lead.

I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get good accuracy (2 moa) with my rifle using coated lead. I finally sold it and bought a .223 carbine. I know some people love the 357, I'm one of them and have 2 nice revolvers, but pistol cartridge carbines kind of leave me wanting a little more horsepower at 100 yards. When smokeless cartridges came on the scene the 30-30 became a hugely popular carbine because people wanted that increased velocity for those 150 gr. bullets down range (>100 yards). I actually hunted with one when I was in HS.

A 357 carbine is very cool for CASS but I don't shoot with the cowboys and cowgirls. If I was going for deer and wanted to use a lever carbine I think I would just buy a 30-30 and skip the PCC altogether. Just my experience so take it with a grain of salt. Not meant to be a discouraging post.

Add. The Hornady manuals have 357 rifle load data. Generally add about 300 fps when going from 6" barrel (pistol data) to 18" carbine barrel.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 11-30-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:26 AM

I have plenty of stuff that is super fast, super accurate, some that hit like a bowling ball, others that are plenty stealthy, but there was something that drew me to the Henry. Not the convenience of using the same round as the pistol (that used to be a smart thing), but just the idea that you could. Its dialed in nicely at 100 yards and although it could be used for deer, Ill probably use it for blowing up varmints. A bit of nostalgia added in and its just a fun thing to use!
Old 12-01-2018, 12:19 PM

...as for the difference between loading for a rifle or revolver, you are reloading the cartridge not the platform. It is the cartridge that sets the limits in modern production guns.

Only thing I will warn about is using mousefart revolver loads in the long pipe of a carbine, especially using faster burning powders and jacketed bullets. I tend to stick with recipes that show 800fps or more from a revolver to avoid a stuck bullet in my .357 carbines.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
...as for the difference between loading for a rifle or revolver, you are reloading the cartridge not the platform. It is the cartridge that sets the limits in modern production guns.

Only thing I will warn about is using mousefart revolver loads in the long pipe of a carbine, especially using faster burning powders and jacketed bullets. I tend to stick with recipes that show 800fps or more from a revolver to avoid a stuck bullet in my .357 carbines.
I never stuck one, but my accuracy using light 231 revolver loads was horrible. They just got spit out and lobbed downrange. Once I got to medium revolver heat, they smoothed out nicely!