1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 05:03 PM

Gunsite questions

Friends,

I'm back in the market for a 1911 and have been looking at the Gunsite as a good value in performance vs price.

A few considerations:

- close as possible to series 70
- short trigger
- full frame, 5"
- modern sights / tritium
- strong side safety

Are the new ones good to go or should I try to find an earlier model?

I'm also looking closely at the Colt 1911C but would have to change out the sights thus adding a good bit of cost since I'd have to send it out for this upgrade.

Also, I've read that the Gunsite pistols go through the custom shop which would lead me to believe a tough better QC.

Thanks!

“God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men.” –Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2019, 09:51 PM

The Gunsite pistols currently being produced do not typically have tritium sights, they have plain black sights.

Not sure what you mean by "close as possible to series 70". By Colt's current definition, the GSP is a S70 gun. Nothing Colt currently sells is really a Series 70 pistol by historical definition. The new 1911 Classic is probably closest to a pre-70 Series pistol since it has a standard bushing and the rollmark from that era.

One thing unique about the GSP in Colt's lineup is that it has a beavertail grip safety but does not have an undercut trigger guard.

As for what refinements are done to the GSP at the Custom Shop, who knows? I believe they are de-horned all around but I don't know if they get any other special attention. Still the GSP is a pretty nice gun. I'd have to swap out the thin grips but other than that it's probably good to go.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:48 AM

I think you are on the right track.
I would go for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 05:50 AM

I own a Colt Gunsite Pistol which I purchased in 2011 for the anniversary. It is one of my favorites. The only changes I have made were the addition of Crimson Trace lasergrips and a Greider long trigger. It's a winner.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:42 AM

I'm assuming you saw my Colt Gunsite review?

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=996406

These are the latest offerings. Undercut trigger guard, de-horned, no FCS, Novaks w/ front N/S (if you get one from GS). I believe all the other offerings don't have the front N/S. The de-horn is great. Most of the standard Colts I see are very sharp. If these are the features you want, get one. You can also step-up to the Les Baer GS offering. It's probably very similar to the Thunder Ranch. Not sure if it's de-horned.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Personally I like some of the wiley clapp models better and have a 04840wp I carry some . Since you wrote 5" check out the link below or visit lipseys site for a O1911WC . I like the odd tapered grips, fat rear tapered skinny front edge and the better checking on the front strap small GI style thumb safety and bead sight but gold would have been better than brass . Cost is low enough you can do a sight change , trigger and grips and it is series 70 trigger group .

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...cts_idI've link you a site for some comparisons ./411552582/Firearms/Handguns/Colt/Colt+O1911WC+Wiley+Clapp+7+1+45ACP+5+TALO+EXCLUSIV E

I prefer the bead front site as I use a hand held light so I can see the treat or little old lady if its dark and then night sights simple don't matter for carry . Guess I was around and carrying a handgun long before tritium sights came to be and triggers are a 30 dollar 15 minute change . Might as well polish a radius the bow look it over clean too , maybe adjust the sear spring a little for the nice 3.5lb pull . So nothing lost . I used a EB trigger I could fit for a rattle free trigger .
Old 10-05-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Personally I like some of the wiley clapp models better and have a 04840wp I carry some . Since you wrote 5" check out the link below or visit lipseys site for a O1911WC . I like the odd tapered grips, fat rear tapered skinny front edge and the better checking on the front strap small GI style thumb safety and bead sight but gold would have been better than brass . Cost is low enough you can do a sight change , trigger and grips and it is series 70 trigger group .

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...cts_idI've link you a site for some comparisons ./411552582/Firearms/Handguns/Colt/Colt+O1911WC+Wiley+Clapp+7+1+45ACP+5+TALO+EXCLUSIV E

I prefer the bead front site as I use a hand held light so I can see the treat or little old lady if its dark and then night sights simple don't matter for carry . Guess I was around and carrying a handgun long before tritium sights came to be and triggers are a 30 dollar 15 minute change . Might as well polish a radius the bow look it over clean too , maybe adjust the sear spring a little for the nice 3.5lb pull . So nothing lost . I used a EB trigger I could fit for a rattle free trigger .
I haven't handled a Clapp in a few years. How are the edges? I do like a checkered front strap better than the serrated GSP. But the serrations do actually work (not as good as checkering though).
Old 10-05-2019, 05:11 PM

My favorite thing about this forum is the level of professionalism and depth of 1911 knowledge I've seen in many posts through the years. In fact, I think this was one of the first forums I joined. As such, thanks for all the input.

Mark,
Thanks for the feedback. "Close to" S70 just means I want a very basic / mil-spec 1911 with night sights. I have big hands but actually prefer the thin grips. Also, I likely would not add a beavertail grip safety but won't mind it.

Totally Tactical and Starship Enterpris,
Thanks, agreed! After many years of going back and forth on many 1911 manufacturers and models I think I've found the closest match to what I'll end up keeping. A brief history:

- Springfield Armory TRP Pro stainless. It was sold to a good friend after i learned about ILS. Had the hammer break and some trigger problems but Springfield was fast and excellent with CS / repair. No complaints as my buddy still has it today.

I still kick myself for not getting the Wilson Combat (stainless, can't recall the model) that wasn't much more at the time. Not a bad move I guess since I'm not a fan of stainless anymore.

- Les Baer Premier II. I kept this one and shot for a bit but sold as it was too expensive to carry (at the time in my career).

- Les Baer TRS. I should have kept this one but sold when I got into Glocks thinking I wouldn't need or want a 1911 again (ah, the follies of youth!)

- RIA TACTICAL Rock Island 1911. On this one I had some gunsmith work done (trigger, grips, action) and gave it to my (late) brother who always wanted a 1911 but was too cheap to buy one. My niece and her husband still have it.

- Colt Government Mark IV, Series 70 (1976). Such a shooter and sad that I let it go but I didn't lose more than shipping on the sale.

Dump1567,

I have read your recent post several times and appreciate it. I would definitely go back with the Les Baer model but have read that recently folks are having some problems with breakage. Not sure if this is common but enough to make me think on it a bit more.

hardluk1,

Good info - thanks. I like the looks of that Wiley Clapp and will have to give it some consideration. I'm guessing it's this one:
https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=COO1911WC

Thanks again all!

Here is the dandy Mark IV that I let go.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	940.3 KB
ID:	565306

“God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men.” –Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-07-2019, 06:05 PM

I have a year old Gunsite and it has front night sights and no FCS, both of which I found desirable. It's by far the favorite Colt I've owned. The decision came down to Gunsite vs. Wiley Clapp for me. I prefer a long trigger like on the Clapp, but wanted a longer thumb safety like on the Gunsite. Since I find it easier to swap a trigger than a thumb safety I went with the Gunsite and have not been disappointed.
1911s: Baer - Custom Carry Commanche, TRS, TRS (no FCS); Brown - Special Forces (black), Special Forces (black on stealth grey); Colt - Wiley Clapp CCO, Gunsite Government; Nighthawk - Talon II; Springfield - Milspec; Wilson Combat - CQB (Black on OD), CQB Compact (black on grey), Professional 9mm [and Wilson/Beretta Centurion].
Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 AM

I purchased my Colt GSP at the pro shop in 2016. At the time, they have the FCS. I noticed the newer models do not, which I would have preferred. Rather than switching out the short trigger, which I couldn't figure why they would match it with a flat MSH, I opted for an arched MSH. The EGW housing fit perfectly w/o any gap. I also installed a more traditional commander hammer. Its not a tight as my Les Baer TR, but I like it.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:10 AM

So, is it only the pistols purchased directly from “Gunsite” that come with front NS, and undercut trigger guard?