2 new Colt Gunsite Pistols - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 05:59 PM

2 new Colt Gunsite Pistols

I took a road trip to the Pro Shop at Gunsite to pick-up a couple of Colt's. I called Susan who runs the shop to make sure they were going to be open and if they had what I wanted in stock. I decided before I got there, I would be picking up a Gov. Model and a LWT Commander. Susan advised that both were in stock and to try and arrive before Noon. The students who are in training take lunch between noon and 2:00 PM, and the shop get busy.

I arrived around 11:30 & met with Susan. She picked out 2 pistols for me, and without asking, selected two that the serial numbers ended in 23. Something I didn't even think about, but it's a nice touch. Being an AZ resident w/CCW made the purchase go extremely smooth. Since I was buying two guns, they were nice enough to knock $50 off each pistol (List price right now is $1,300 on these). So I paid $1250 each.

These come with thin style grips & bushings. But having large hands, I knew I was going to swap the grips for the Gunsite Logo'd ones they sell. They also sell the regular bushing's and grip screws you need to do your conversion. Susan advised me to pick out my own Logo'd grips, as the wood patterns are all different (you'll see in the pics). The Gunsite logo'd grips are still thinner than I prefer. And the grip screws also stick out further than they should due to the thinness. But in my opinion, these are what the guns should have come with. And although the original thin grips are checkered, they feel very smooth.

The shop also has a few other firearms, holsters, belts, apparel, and other Gunsite logo accessories. They have an on-line website you can order from.
https://www.gunsitestore.com/

Per Susan, these Colts come out of the Custom Shop, but the boxes are no longer marked "Custom Shop" as the earlier boxes were. Both came with two mags. The Lightweight Commander has flush fit 8 rounders, the Gov. Model has stainless mags with base plate (and Colt logo).

These pistols have the 3 things Col. Cooper recommends.
Good trigger
Sight's you can see
De-horned

I noticed the old Thunder Ranch Les Baer Pistols are very similar. LB is making pistols for Gunsite, but you have to order one. They don't stock them.

Both my triggers feel about the same. The Gov. Model breaks at just over 4 lbs. & the LWT Commander is a little heavier. Both break clean. I really like the de-horn job. As Col. Cooper would say; "it's a hand tool, it shouldn't be sharp" (or something like that). I could probably shave with some of the 1911's I own.

After wondering the grounds of Gunsite, I could really feel the history. It reminded me of some of the Military training facilities I've been to. I really need to return and spend more time there. Maybe take a class.

Here's some pics.

The white dot on the Gov. Model is off center for some reason?

Here's the logo'd grips. You can see the different patterns and colors.

Here's the Specs on these:

Gov. Model
Blue slide and blue receiver (70 Series), 5” bbl. , extended Wilson thumb safety left side only, Upswept grip safety, Flat metal mainspring housing with serrations. dehorned, two eight round magazines, total bead blast finish, beveled magazine well. front strap serrations on receiver. Rear cocking serrations. Just like the Gold Cup pistol, wolf heavy firing pin spring and 18-lb. recoil spring kit, Novak sights. Front sight with tritium insert, Commander style hammer, short aluminum trigger with serration’s and adjustment screw, 4-4.25 lb. Trigger break.

LWT Commander
Series 70, 4.25” in carbon 45 ACP
Extended Wilson thumb safety left side only.
Upswept grip safety.
Flat metal mainspring housing with serrations.
Dehorned
Two eight round magazines.
Gunsite Raven on right rear of slide.
“Gunsite Service Pistol” rolled on right side of slide.
Thin grips without medallion
Total bead blast finish.
Beveled magazine well.
Gold Cup style serrations on front strap
Wolf heavy firing pin spring and 18-lb. recoil spring kit.
Novak sights. Front sight with tritium insert.
Commander style hammer.
Short aluminum trigger with serration’s and adjustment screw.
4-4.25 lb. Trigger break
National Match hammer and sear..
Safety Manuel

Neither seem to mention the "NM" marked barrels?

So are these worth $1300? Obviously for me they were. But that's up to you. I wonder if you order these specs. from the Custom shop what the price would be?

Now I just need to go shoot them and add ambi-safeties (I'm a lefty).

Last edited by Dump1567; 07-25-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 PM

I like them, thanks for sharing. Congratulations Dump1567
Thanks for the Gunsite link.

Last edited by Frank Vaccaro; 07-25-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Congrats and enjoy x2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 09:06 PM

real handsome guns there.. I really like the front strap serrations on Gunsite pistols.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:18 PM

For the work done to them yes they are worth it.Personally I would replace the Novak rear sight with the wider version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 07:17 AM

Very nice write up thank you. Ive actually been considering one of these myself.

Im curious does the 5 model have a plastic mainspring housing like a lot of the current Colts have? Or is it metal?
Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 AM

Great. You're going to enjoy your Gunsite 1911's. I purchased the full size GSP 3 years ago while attending the 250/350. Switched out the grips as well. I wish Gunsite would offer the commander in the all steel model.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsgt View Post
Great. You're going to enjoy your Gunsite 1911's. I purchased the full size GSP 3 years ago while attending the 250/350. Switched out the grips as well. I wish Gunsite would offer the commander in the all steel model.
Col. Cooper felt a steel Commander was close enough in weight and size to a Gov. Model to not warrant it's use. He felt if going with a commander, it should be a LWT.

Not sure if that's their reasoning for not offering one, but that's what he stated in a training class video I saw on-line.

Quote:
Im curious does the 5 model have a plastic mainspring housing like a lot of the current Colts have? Or is it metal?
Both are steel.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Got these to the range today. I used the supplied mags and some Wilson's. Both ran 100% with PMC ball and a few Gold Dots. Both shot to point of aim, but I was more accurate with the full size. Even with the smooth wood grips, I didn't feel the guns shifted in my hands any more than with checkered grips. I'm still undecided about the short triggers.

I wouldn't hesitate to strap either to my hip once I get my ambi-safeties installed.

Around 9 yards with the Gov. Model.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:55 AM

Thank you for your post. I have been wondering what these two pistols look like in real life and your photos answered it for me. I particularly like the old rowel hammer on the Commander. Wish it came on both versions.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
Thank you for your post. I have been wondering what these two pistols look like in real life and your photos answered it for me. I particularly like the old rowel hammer on the Commander. Wish it came on both versions.
Glad I can help. When you spend an hour writing something-up and posting photos, you wonder if it's worth it. Or if anyone will really get anything out of it. Especially when I'm a horrible writer.

And if I had to choose between the two, It would be the Gov. Model. Just because the weight and longer sight radius makes it easier to shoot. But I didn't have a LWT Commander, so it was this or the Wiley Clapp. I prefer a checkered front strap (like on the WC), but I was surprised the serrated front strap also seemed to work. And I felt the dual recoil spring system used by Colt on the Commander, does help mitigate felt recoil. And the use of a steel MSH, putting a little more weight into the light weight frame.

Last edited by Dump1567; 07-27-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
I took a road trip to the Pro Shop at Gunsite to pick-up a couple of Colt's. I called Susan who runs the shop to make sure they were going to be open and if they had what I wanted in stock. I decided before I got there, I would be picking up a Gov. Model and a LWT Commander. Susan advised that both were in stock and to try and arrive before Noon. The students who are in training take lunch between noon and 2:00 PM, and the shop get busy.

I arrived around 11:30 & met with Susan. She picked out 2 pistols for me, and without asking, selected two that the serial numbers ended in 23. Something I didn't even think about, but it's a nice touch. Being an AZ resident w/CCW made the purchase go extremely smooth. Since I was buying two guns, they were nice enough to knock $50 off each pistol (List price right now is $1,300 on these). So I paid $1250 each.

These come with thin style grips & bushings. But having large hands, I knew I was going to swap the grips for the Gunsite Logo'd ones they sell. They also sell the regular bushing's and grip screws you need to do your conversion. Susan advised me to pick out my own Logo'd grips, as the wood patterns are all different (you'll see in the pics). The Gunsite logo'd grips are still thinner than I prefer. And the grip screws also stick out further than they should due to the thinness. But in my opinion, these are what the guns should have come with. And although the original thin grips are checkered, they feel very smooth.

The shop also has a few other firearms, holsters, belts, apparel, and other Gunsite logo accessories. They have an on-line website you can order from.
https://www.gunsitestore.com/

Per Susan, these Colts come out of the Custom Shop, but the boxes are no longer marked "Custom Shop" as the earlier boxes were. Both came with two mags. The Lightweight Commander has flush fit 8 rounders, the Gov. Model has stainless mags with base plate (and Colt logo).

These pistols have the 3 things Col. Cooper recommends.
Good trigger
Sight's you can see
De-horned

I noticed the old Thunder Ranch Les Baer Pistols are very similar. LB is making pistols for Gunsite, but you have to order one. They don't stock them.

Both my triggers feel about the same. The Gov. Model breaks at just over 4 lbs. & the LWT Commander is a little heavier. Both break clean. I really like the de-horn job. As Col. Cooper would say; "it's a hand tool, it shouldn't be sharp" (or something like that). I could probably shave with some of the 1911's I own.

After wondering the grounds of Gunsite, I could really feel the history. It reminded me of some of the Military training facilities I've been to. I really need to return and spend more time there. Maybe take a class.

Here's some pics.

The white dot on the Gov. Model is off center for some reason?

Here's the logo'd grips. You can see the different patterns and colors.

Here's the Specs on these:

Gov. Model
Blue slide and blue receiver (70 Series), 5” bbl. , extended Wilson thumb safety left side only, Upswept grip safety, Flat metal mainspring housing with serrations. dehorned, two eight round magazines, total bead blast finish, beveled magazine well. front strap serrations on receiver. Rear cocking serrations. Just like the Gold Cup pistol, wolf heavy firing pin spring and 18-lb. recoil spring kit, Novak sights. Front sight with tritium insert, Commander style hammer, short aluminum trigger with serration’s and adjustment screw, 4-4.25 lb. Trigger break.

LWT Commander
Series 70, 4.25” in carbon 45 ACP
Extended Wilson thumb safety left side only.
Upswept grip safety.
Flat metal mainspring housing with serrations.
Dehorned
Two eight round magazines.
Gunsite Raven on right rear of slide.
“Gunsite Service Pistol” rolled on right side of slide.
Thin grips without medallion
Total bead blast finish.
Beveled magazine well.
Gold Cup style serrations on front strap
Wolf heavy firing pin spring and 18-lb. recoil spring kit.
Novak sights. Front sight with tritium insert.
Commander style hammer.
Short aluminum trigger with serration’s and adjustment screw.
4-4.25 lb. Trigger break
National Match hammer and sear..
Safety Manuel

Neither seem to mention the "NM" marked barrels?

So are these worth $1300? Obviously for me they were. But that's up to you. I wonder if you order these specs. from the Custom shop what the price would be?

Now I just need to go shoot them and add ambi-safeties (I'm a lefty).
That's a beautiful pair o 1911s!
Old 07-27-2019, 10:40 AM

Nice pair. I'd say you have it covered well. Enjoy them!

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 07-27-2019, 11:19 AM

Something else I notice, despite being a matte finish, the slides appear to have been polished better than most new Colts, that have that brushed look. The .38 Super Competition Series, I bought recently, also has a better polish.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the write-up and pictures. They seem like they have what I want in a 1911 feature set, "everything you need, and nothing you don't".
Quote:
The Lightweight Commander has flush fit 8 rounders, the Gov. Model has stainless mags with base plate (and Colt logo).
What are the followers in the Commander? Are they the CheckMate Patented Follower (CMF), or the Devel follower?
Old 07-27-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
Something else I notice, despite being a matte finish, the slides appear to have been polished better than most new Colts, that have that brushed look. The .38 Super Competition Series, I bought recently, also has a better polish.
It could be part of the de-horn job. The only sharp edges I've found is on the front sight and front of the mag opening.

The finish is different than what I've seen on other Colt's. I have a 1991, and it's not the same as that Matte finish.

Quote:
What are the followers in the Commander? Are they the CheckMate Patented Follower (CMF), or the Devel follower?
Here ya go.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Here ya go.
Thanks.

CheckMate Patented Follower (CMF)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:01 PM

Good news Lefties

The Kimber Pin style ambi-safety worked out great. The color matches fairly well, and I didn't have to do any right grip panel relief. This one did require some fitting though, it wasn't a drop-in. This is my third Kimber ambi-safety I've installed. These have become my favorite.

Ready for carry.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:54 PM

Nice Colts! I'd like to add these to my collection too someday.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:54 PM

Nice pistolas thanks for the write up.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:07 PM

And finally got the LWT Commander fitted with the Kimber ambi pin style safety. I think this matches the lightweight frame even better.

I may eventually send off the slides to Novak for the Orange big dot front sight w/night sight insert. I'm waiting to get back a slide I just sent for the same to see how I like it.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:58 PM

Guess I could write some detailed observation
but I won't.

I'll just say: YUM!

(OK, it's not really a way to describe
guns but bug off!)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:03 AM

Beautiful brace of pistols!

Interesting that the newer CGPs have the undercut front strap; earlier pistols did not.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:46 PM

Very nice pair!! Interesting that the only apparent difference between yours purchased at Gunsite and my 5" purchased through a dealer is the model O marking on your label. Also mine came with a plain black front sight which I quickly had Novak changes. I changed out the mainspring housing to a full checkered, checkered standard width grips and put a smooth recoil plug on it, pics in the thread below.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=995248

Mine has quickly found it's way to front of the line of my 1911s. Once it cools off it'll definitely become my daily carry.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:17 AM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing them with us!!