1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-28-2020, 04:42 PM

Beavertail for Alloy Lightweight Hi Power

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have an alloy Hi Power with a beavertail? I realize it is very different to weld a beavertail on a steel frame verses welding something onto an aluminum frame. Does anyone know if this has been successfully done and who might have the skills/desire to try?

Thanks for the advice,

Scott

Old Army Customs
Old 03-28-2020, 04:59 PM

I have no knowledge of anyone doing this, but if anyone can it would be Pullman Arms in Worchester MA. They are used by several of the top tier smiths for difficult welding.

Pullman Arms
Dan Harvey – Lead Gunsmith
Monday - Friday 9:00 AM- 4:30 PM
33 Pullman St.
Worcester, MA 01606
{ t } 508.926.8730
{ f } 508.853.0843
email: [email protected]
gunsmith email: [email protected]
Old 03-28-2020, 06:53 PM

Don Williams of the Action Works does this. He and I discussed doing this to the full-house alloy frame Hi Power he built for me, but I ultimately decided not to. I believe he is a member here, but you might reach out to him to discuss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPC View Post
Don Williams of the Action Works does this. He and I discussed doing this to the full-house alloy frame Hi Power he built for me, but I ultimately decided not to. I believe he is a member here, but you might reach out to him to discuss it.
Thanks guys. I have spoken with Don many times on the forums but not about this subject. I should have thought of him first for sure.

Scott

Old Army Customs
Old 03-28-2020, 08:03 PM

Don't do it!!!
Learn how to hold the darned thing the right way... install SFS or a no bite hammer!
Old 03-29-2020, 05:37 AM

The lightweight Remington R1 1911 Enhanced Commander has a nice looking upswept beavertail that might be compatible for source material. So far, I've never seen a Hi Power beavertail that I've found esthetically pleasing.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
The lightweight Remington R1 1911 Enhanced Commander has a nice looking upswept beavertail that might be compatible for source material. So far, I've never seen a Hi Power beavertail that I've found esthetically pleasing.
No a big fan myself but I have one on steel gun.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I usually put a C&S or Novak no bite hammer in for my fat paws and that fixes that.

I do have a Yost with the beavertail and a Bob Cogan too. When the profile is right, I kinda like the look but most of my BHPs are stock.

This was a request from a buddy that I am building a gun for. I can’t do the beavertail myself hence the question.

I too have told him that I can get a nice shooting gun with no bite on his hand without the beavertail. I will force him to shoot one of my guns before I actually send his LW frame off to be “adulterated”.

Scott

Old Army Customs
Old 03-29-2020, 09:35 AM

There is a screw on beavertail for SIG P210. It is not bad looking. I wonder if it could be filed to fit the Browning.

But I would lean to the "no bite hammer" or a completely de-spurred hammer. What do you need a hammer spur for on a single action auto with thumb safety?
Old 03-29-2020, 10:28 AM

Rellascout, would you please post photos of yours with the hammer cocked?

My two are stock with ring hammer and have never bitten me.

Last edited by JimCunn; 03-29-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:30 PM

That Sig P210 beavertail costs $158
Old 04-10-2020, 11:55 AM

Everytime I tried to look into this, the options were always too expensive or had a long wait time. I know it’s not a complete apples to apples comparison, but the CZ-75 SAO feels a lot like a Hi Power with a little extra curve and a nicer but not atrocious beavertail (frame feel obviously):

Old 04-10-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
That Sig P210 beavertail costs $158
Two shops I found to list welded on beavertails for steel Brownings charge $300 and $395.