Dehorning for holster preservation? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Dehorning for holster preservation?

Is it common to dehorn so that you don't ruin holsters? I have a DW that is very sharp. I carry it in kydex for that reason. (It has gouged the kydex in a few places as well) I recently broke the muzzle edges with a fine stone but it still needs more work as it's still cutting leather.

My thinking is that a single good leather holster cost as much as a good dehorn job. If I don't do it, this gun would cost me a dozen holsters in the next 10 years. I'd MUCH rather carry in in a comfy leather holster but not willing to continually tear up quality, handcrafted leather.

Last edited by flechero; 03-22-2020 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2020, 09:06 AM
Administrator

My guns are dehorned to protect my hands...
Old 03-22-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
My guns are dehorned to protect my hands...
Understood but I'd rather a few cuts and scrapes from malf drills than risking a miss due to sweat and grime in the Texas summers... I'm only concerned with the front end of the gun and trigger guard for holster purposes.
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Is it common to dehorn so that you don't ruin holsters? I have a DW that is very sharp. I carry it in kydex for that reason. (It has gouged the kydex in a few places as well) I recently broke the muzzle edges with a fine stone but it still needs more work as it's still cutting leather.

My thinking is that a single good leather holster cost as much as a good dehorn job. If I don't do it, this gun would cost me a dozen holsters in the next 10 years. I'd MUCH rather carry in in a comfy leather holster but not willing to continually tear up quality, handcrafted leather.
Plastic is a hard surface, so naturally will not flex, so you will cut in to it when holstering your gun. Leather is a softer pliable material, and will show marks, but I don't think you should worry about that. I shoot SASS, and slam my guns back in to the holster often. It ad's character to the gun rig. One way to lessen the wear is get a Leatherman to line your holster with Latigo leather.

Thank you,

Henry

BUY AMERICAN.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:18 PM

All of my guns are dehorned, first for my hands; the secondary benefit is certainly for holsters. I have seen many ruined by sharp edges. My first gun with what was called a carry bevel then and now was done by Novak's in the early 1980s.

Last edited by Al Booth; 03-22-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: forgot a few words !
Old 03-23-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Understood but I'd rather a few cuts and scrapes from malf drills than risking a miss due to sweat and grime in the Texas summers... I'm only concerned with the front end of the gun and trigger guard for holster purposes.
A dehorn sufficient to protect your holster and your hand should in no way be enough to cause you to miss a clearance drill. Even the ugly (personal opinion) Clark melt job still leaves the cocking serrations sharp enough to grasp.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:40 AM

Agree with BBBill about the look of the Clack Meltdown, although I confess a secret desire for one - maybe on something other than a Colt.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
A dehorn sufficient to protect your holster and your hand should in no way be enough to cause you to miss a clearance drill. Even the ugly (personal opinion) Clark melt job still leaves the cocking serrations sharp enough to grasp.
I agree and the original post was about dehroning the leading edges that contact holster, not my hands. The whole reason for the thread was only holster preservation.

I do have one gun with a "soap bar" type melt job and it's awesome into the holster... it may be not be as pretty but I'm no gem either! The particular gun in question here is a tool, not a showpiece.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:50 PM

Dont care about holsters one bit, wear them out, toss and get another. I have some leather holsters in use that my LGS gave for free or $5. My Dan Wessons are perfect the way they are and I like them very much.