Need help with new RO compact - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 04:05 PM

Need help with new RO compact

Hey all. I'm new to the forums, long time lurker.
I was hoping for some advice with my brand new Springfield RO elite compact. I just picked it up yesterday, and it's a gorgeous piece. I was playing around with it at home today (haven't shot it yet), and I noticed the outside edges of the hammer seem to be binding with the slide. I'm able to wiggle it relatively easy forward and aft about 1/16". When I take the slide off and drop the hammer, everything feels nice and tight. Is this something I should adress? Or just live with it if it shoots reliably? When i dry fire it, the hammer is all the way down (which is a good thing), but it is very easy to move it back a little, and makes a slight grinding noise. My OCD really wants to get rid of this!

Any suggestions or advice?
Old 03-21-2020, 04:13 PM

Congrats on a new 1911.

I am having hard time picturing your issue. Hammer is under spring tension and is supposed to move back and forth. Is it also moving side to side? How else would it contact the slide?

Post pics.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:28 PM

Is the hammer pushing on the firing pin? The Firing pin spring pushes back a little.

Pics would help.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphadog View Post
  1. . . . brand new Springfield RO elite compact.
  2. . . . I noticed the outside edges of the hammer seem to be binding with the slide.
  3. When i dry fire it, the hammer is all the way down, but it is very easy to move it back a little
  4. . . . and makes a slight grinding noise.
  1. Does your pistol have a little key that allows you to lock and unlock the mainspring (hammer spring)?

2. A close-up, in focus picture showing this would be very helpful. "Binding" means different things to different people so you need to be very specific about this condition you're trying to describe.

3. Normally, the hammer should be in contact with the firing pin and held there by the pressure of the mainspring. It should not be very easy to pull back with your thumb.

4. The grinding noise may just be the mainspring interacting with the hammer strut or mainspring housing tunnel. You can always remove the spring from the mainspring housing and smooth the inside of its tunnel using sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to see if that changes the sound you're now hearing.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I realize part of the reason it's so easy to pull the hammer back 1/16" is because of the firing pin spring acting on it. My S&W 1911 does not do this at all. It takes a lot of force to pull back the hammer that first little bit (like it should).
When I remove the slide, it doesn't make a grinding noise when i manipulate the hammer back and forth...so i think it's safe to rule out the mainspring housing assembly as the culprit. I would post a pic, but I dont believe it would accomplish anything . It just looks like a hammer at rest against the firing pin stop. A video could help though..
Old 03-21-2020, 05:34 PM

And no, no key slot in the mainspring housing. Just the normal pin. The problem is, its way to easy to wiggle the hammer forward and aft for that first 1/16 inch. It does not have any movement side to side.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:37 PM

I forgot to mention...
The hammer will stay wherever I leave it. If i push it forward, it will stay against the FPS. When i move it back 1/16", it stays there.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:58 PM

Not right.
On a new gun, this is a warranty return.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:04 PM

Are you saying to send it to SA to fix the issue?
Old 03-21-2020, 06:31 PM

Yes
No point playing 20 questions on the internet.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:00 PM

Call Springfield Customer Care and tell them what’s going on. They’ll know if it needs to come back and will provide the shipping. At least that’s the way it’s worked for me the two times I had guns with issues.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the input. What a pain in the a$$. I haven't even shot it yet and I already have to deal with the hassle of a return. And wait another few months for it to come back probably. Makes you wonder how SA let something like this out the door.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphadog View Post
I forgot to mention...
The hammer will stay wherever I leave it. If i push it forward, it will stay against the FPS. When i move it back 1/16", it stays there.

This is definitely not functioning correctly, I agree with others that a trip to Springfield may be easiest if you are not familiar with 1911s enough to break it down and do a little troubleshooting.

Does it happen with grip safety depressed and released? I have had a pistol before where the hammer strut was touching the inside of the grip safety when depressed/deactivated.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:37 PM

No change with the grip safety depressed or not. I'm fairly familiar with 1911 mechanics and I'm confident I could do a fix if it's easy enough. Just need help with the troubleshooting. I'll give Springfield a call as soon as they're open. Thank you for the replies.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:54 PM

Your description of the problem is as clear as mud.
We can't help with the info you have provided.

Is the hammer scraping the cut in the slide?
Old 03-21-2020, 08:05 PM

It seems to be. Haven't had a chance to take feeler gages or dykem blue to it to confirm. It def sounds like it is though. Which would explain the hammer staying in place. But wouldn't really explain the ease of movement..
Old 03-21-2020, 08:07 PM

If you pull the hammer back and cock it, does the firing pin move in and out of the firing pin stop freely?

It should take about 2 lbs of force to push it in flush with stop.

-
Old 03-21-2020, 08:15 PM

Megafiddle...interesting. the firing pin itself could be getting hung up somewhere ...I checked and its moving freely in and out with about 2 lbs of force.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:19 PM

I just tried it on my S&W 1911. It seems like the Springfield is twice as hard to press in.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:21 PM

But I know Springfield uses a stronger firing pin spring on their 1911s
Old 03-21-2020, 08:31 PM

It's not normal to have any free movement of the hammer when it is forward, but there are guns with that condition. Long hammer struts are available to take up the free movement in such guns, but must be fitted.

However, the free movement in those cases is not between the hammer and the firing pin stop. The free movement is between the hammer and the firing pin.

Is this really free movement, or just movement with very low spring tension present? And it could be difficult to tell with the interference that's present.

Is the flat on the rear of the extractor aligned with the hammer slot on the rear of the slide? That could be the point of interference.

-

Last edited by megafiddle; 03-21-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:36 PM

Sounds like the Hammer strut is a hair short.
Not uncommon a problem and nothing to worry about.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:55 PM

Totally tactical. That's not the case because with the slide off, there is no issue.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:57 PM

To clarify further...the hammer remains in contact with the firing pin when I move it around. It just comes away from the firing pin stop too easily. Maybe the firing pin spring is too stiff?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 PM

Springfield uses 3 lb firing pin springs in the models with the titanium firing pin. If that's the case, the spring is not too stiff, but it sounds like it is the cause of what you are seeing.

With 1 lb or 2 lb firing pin springs, the residual hammer tension is enough to overpower the firing pin spring, and rest the hammer against the firing pin stop with some amount of force. This would be the case with your S&W.

With a 3 lb spring, the residual hammer tension is balanced by the extra firing pin tension. This makes it much easier to pull the hammer back from the firing pin stop.

So the only problem is the interference.

Can you see any sign of wear on the sides of the hammer?

-