1911Forum banner

Colt 1911 Government Model Silver Stars 45

13K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 ·
I have a Colt 1911 Government Model Silver Star 45 that I'm trying to find out more about. This model is seen in the movie "The Rock."

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
so it is a stainless and not nickle? i've searched everywhere i know to find out about it and keep coming up with nothing. is it because they only made around 1000 that i'm not finding anything on them? would i just have to call colt customer service to confirm when it was made, how many were made and anything else about it?

#5 ·
Over the years Colt has made tons of special editions. Keeping track of all of them is very difficult, since most were made in small batches of 1000 or less.

A call to Colt should give you the info you desire.

Your gun has a high polish stainless finish. It looks just like nickle, and will scratch easily, but it won't flake or cloud like nickle. The great thing about it is that if it does get scratched, you can polish it out using a little polish and a cloth.

#6 ·
This model is seen in the movie "The Rock."
I thought Ed Harris simply used a pair of stainless Series 80 Governments. What information do you have that they were marked "Silver Star"?

#7 ·
when he pulls his gun on his own man, it shows the "Silver Star" written on the side. what type of polish and cloth should i use. it has only been shot about 15 to 20 rounds, but it has a scratch on it where someone before me broke it down to clean it. it also has a small black mark on the matte finish on top. any suggestions?

#11 ·
#8 ·
You will here a lot of different opinions on what polish to use. The two most common seem to be Mother's Mag Polish and Flitz polish.

For a cloth just use a clean rag. Polishing usually takes time, patience, and elbow grease, and is best done by hand. Take it slow, as you don't want to over polish the area and create a bright spot.

#10 ·
I'm not sure what black mark you mean. I can't see one in the pictures.

As for value, that can be tricky. Special editions are sometimes worth more, and sometimes they aren't worth any more than a regular production gun.

Being that yours is a Silver Star, it's probably worth more than a standard government model. The going rate for a regular MKIV government model seems to be in the $800-$900 range. Yours should be worth more than that, but then again it's only worth what someone will give you for it. You could probably fetch anywhere from $1000-$1500, depending on how bad someone wants it.

#13 ·
If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but to me it looks like Ed Harris' pistol is a basic brushed-stainless Government with checkered grips, while the Silver Star has a bright mirror polish and smooth grips.

#14 ·
yeah i've noticed from the pics that the grips are checkered and the silver star is smooth. but i'm pretty sure i saw it on there because after seeing it i went and looked at the pistol i have to make sure that's what i saw. i could be wrong though. it could also be just a movie glitch. i'll have to watch the movie again cause i can't find any pic online of the left side of the slide.

#15 ·
Knowing Hollywood, a Silver Star might have been used in one scene and a standard Government Model used in the others. If you can find a good movie still of the left side it might clear it up. It wouldn't be the first time for anybody. For many years I wanted a pre-Enhanced Combat Elite after seeing one in Terminator 2. Only recently it's been discovered that the "Combat Elite" Ahnold used was actually a mixmaster creation using a Detonics frame and Colt Series 70 slide.

#17 ·
You can't get a job in Hollywood unless you're anti-gun. Tom Selleck is about the only exception, and he's been busted down to making only straight-to-video movies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.