1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 10:47 PM

Browning Beavertail

The new American Handgunner centerfold is the Nighthawk-ized BHP.

The welded beavertail looks odd, so does the C&S and others I have seen or seen pictured. They stick straight out to the rear without the "duck tail" (Cooperism) of the 1911 parts. Also kind of low on the gun without the high handhole that 1911 builders strive for.

Is this mechanical? Would a high upswept contour obstruct the slide or hammer? Or is it just what somebody did to start with and other shops just followed suit?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 AM

The Nighthawk beavertail is butt ugly - end of story! I've never had an issue of hammer bite with my BHP in its standard configuration.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
The Nighthawk beavertail is butt ugly - end of story! I've never had an issue of hammer bite with my BHP in its standard configuration.
+1. I've not been bit by either of my Fegs, & would not need a beavertail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 AM

I only have one with a beavertail. It was done by Bob Cogan. It has a bit more of an upsweep than Nighthawk's. I am not a gunsmith but I believe the area on which you can attach a beavertail to a BHP is limited. If you look closely they are all attached at the same point. If you look at the one below they are as high as they can get without interfering with the hammer function.

I do not think that they are necessary but I do not think that they have to be ugly either. Nothing about the Nighthawk BHP appeals to me. It just is not my aesthetic.

I do not think this is ugly....

Old 09-11-2017, 12:11 PM

One of the reasons the BHP beavertail looks odd is that we are all accustomed to looking at a 1911 beavertail at rest rather than engaged.

Some smiths tails seem longer than others. After I get Imgur figured out I'll post my gun Don Williams put a tail on. His version is the most elegant in my opinion. It strongly reminds me of the beavertails on CZ pistols.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:42 PM

I agree with those above that have never experienced hammer bite on a BHP. I consider myself lucky since I don't have to pay somebody to put one of those "things" on my BHP to fix a problem.

As to whether they are ugly or beautiful is in the eye of the beholder. As for me, they make my eyes hurt.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:23 PM

Interaction with the hammer is the reason most look a little low/straight out the back. The lines don't work for me. Thankfully, I don't need one from a functional standpoint.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:43 PM

Thanks, I will be interested to see the Williams style.

But I am also of the No Hammer Bite subspecies. I can shoot a Browning, SIG, and 1911 in reasonable comfort.

If the hammer is the source of interference, the odd spurless slapper hammer would clear a high hand hole beavertail.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 09-11-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Thanks, I will be interested to see the Williams style.

But I am also of the No Hammer Bite subspecies. I can shoot a Browning, SIG, and 1911 in reasonable comfort.

If the hammer is the source of interference, the odd spurless slapper hammer would clear a high hand hole beavertail.
I'm apparently too dense to use Imgur. I'll keep trying. Here's the best pic I have of the beavertail.

You can see the tail isn't any longer than the hammer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2208.JPG  

Last edited by dj528; 09-11-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 PM

Old 09-14-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post

Never? Funny, I never take a BHP to the range WITHOUT leaving with hammer bite!

I have a meaty hand with lots of extra webbing between my thumb and forefinger. I don't want to modify the BHP as it is neither my EDC nor my club target piece, so I live with it... Have changed grips (Pachmyr work best for me), changed how I hold the weapon, etc. But yeah, seriously, assuming I actually want to hit my targets, I can't go through a single magazine without marks from hammer bite on that webbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmGardner View Post
Never? Funny, I never take a BHP to the range WITHOUT leaving with hammer bite!

I have a meaty hand with lots of extra webbing between my thumb and forefinger. I don't want to modify the BHP as it is neither my EDC nor my club target piece, so I live with it... Have changed grips (Pachmyr work best for me), changed how I hold the weapon, etc. But yeah, seriously, assuming I actually want to hit my targets, I can't go through a single magazine without marks from hammer bite on that webbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With a stock hammer I can't imagine not getting hammer bite. A commander style hammer probably resolves the issue. I went with the beavertail for the 357 conversion but skipped it on my 9mm.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:50 PM

Hammer bite is often the result of the web of the hand being pinched between the back of the hammer's body (not the spur) and the top edge of the frame tail. Novak came up with a modification for that. He relieves the back of the hammer with a mill, leaving enough at the base of the hammer to act as a stop against the frame and creating clearance for the web of your hand.

Here's a pic - https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b9/c2/d9/b...-revolvers.jpg

It works well. I copied it on one of my Hi Powers.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

BBBBill is right on the description of the HP hammer bite.

I like Kent Singletary's version of the beavertail, not too long and does the job.

Last edited by Ricky T; 09-15-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM

Of the beavertails shown I prefer the aesthetics the short, thick, minimal one best. Everyone should get the one they need & like - but I'm betting it would be cheaper to have your thumb web modified.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj528 View Post
With a stock hammer I can't imagine not getting hammer bite. A commander style hammer probably resolves the issue. I went with the beavertail for the 357 conversion but skipped it on my 9mm.
I have a Yost .40 that I had a .357 barrel conversion put in (as well as a 9mm conversion). I have trouble with the first round from a loaded mag nose diving and stopping against the feed ramp, causing FTF and serious setback of the rounds. Have you had any such problems?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post

Man, I like that holster! Looks simple, compact, and well-fit/boned.

How does it carry? Are you happy with it? Is that a Rob Hipp holster?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Whenever I've seen a more upswept beavertail on a BHP it has had either a rounded hammer or the spur has been ground down/reshaped.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTXAggie View Post
I have a Yost .40 that I had a .357 barrel conversion put in (as well as a 9mm conversion). I have trouble with the first round from a loaded mag nose diving and stopping against the feed ramp, causing FTF and serious setback of the rounds. Have you had any such problems?
No issues with mine. I was referred to Don by several of the smiths who post here on the forum, and one who doesn't, all of whom said Don does the 357 conversion better than anyone else.

Last edited by dj528; 09-15-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj528 View Post
No issues with mine. I was referred to Don by several of the smith's who post here on the forum, and one who doesn't, all of whom said Don does the 357 conversion better than anyone else.
Thank you! I will send mine to Don, and hope to get it back feeding smoothly. It's a fantastic gun, and works great in .40 and 9mm, but that .357 Sig just has too impressive ballistics to ignore. I want to be able to carry it with confidence, however.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTXAggie View Post

How does it carry? Are you happy with it? Is that a Rob Hipp holster?
Yes it is a Rob Hipp "Rhodesian" style holster. I like it very much, so much that I bought another one for a 1911.

It is very comfortable. It's not a concealment rig and it is not meant to be. The draw from it is quick, smooth and easy on the shoulder as the holster rides low.

But I guess we've ran off topic from the HP beavertail to the Rob Hipp's holster.

BTW, I paid for both holsters in full price and waited my turn like anyone else. This is not a paid advertisement for Rob's product.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:25 AM

I am in the camp that sees a beavertail on a Hi-Power as ugly, and especially that Nighthawk beavertail that looks as if they set out to intentionally enhance all that is ugly over functionality. As a matter of fact, nearly everything about that Nighthawk Hi-Power I find to be ugly - especially that non-reflective treatment to the top of the slide that looks as if it were done by a demented munchkin with a jackhammer!

I have two Hi-Powers, an FEG P9 and an FN MKIII (forged frame). The FEG has the rowell hammer and the FN has the spur hammer, and I've never been bitten by either of them. But I admit that I do not have meaty hands.

It seems to me that the answer for those who are bitten by their Hi-Powers is well know and doesn't involve welding, grinding, polishing, and refinishing. For spur hammers simply bob the hammer spur a la Mr. Camp. For rowell hammers just relieve the back of the hammer body where it comes close to the end of the factory beavertail. A little touch-up cold blue and you're good to go.

But if having a pistol that is recognized as "custom" is what floats your boat, and you can afford to have the work done, then carry on.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 AM

I've always wanted a BHP beavertail that only adds enough length to stop the pinch and no more but I've only seen it on one hi-power that was done by someone at Robar.

I get pinched all the time and normally need a beavertail or a significant relief cut on the hammer to avoid it. One thing that I have noticed with a beavertail on a BHP is that I can actually control recoil better because I can pull the gun even tighter with a high thumb on the safety pulling my hand up (or the gun down) and wedging it better. Don't have any hi-powers with beavertails at present but probably will again in the future as I'm thinking seriously of doing away with all handguns other than hi-powers and 1911s and the value of everything that gets sold will go into custom variations of those.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:36 AM

Sorry guys, but a breaver tail on a BHP is just.........wrong........There are other ways to fix hammer or shank bite without restoring to this.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 09-18-2017, 06:56 PM

To paraphrase Jeff Cooper, looks like a solution to a non-existent problem.
Closed Thread