Buttstock, -A2 or Magpul? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-05-2020, 10:17 AM

Question Buttstock, -A2 or Magpul?

Been thinking about getting the Magpul buttstock for my full-size -A2 rifle. Any experience or opinion on the Magpul.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:08 AM
More Cowbell...

I have both the UBR, MOE rifle and PRS on most of my builds.

Excellent stocks. Well built and well thought out.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:00 PM

The Magpul MOE fixed stock is a good product. Mine is an older model and has the trapdoor on the side. The new ones have a more traditional butt entry, which I think might be better, as long as it doesn’t open accidentally.

I would chose it over the A2 Buttstock for several reasons #1: it has a rubber type butt plate, and will be less likely to slide if you set the rifle propped up against something. The A2 is plastic. #2 it has a whole bunch of options for QD sling swivels. You do have to buy the QD stud thingies, I installed all of them and have use everyone of them sometime or another. You also gotta have a QD sling swivel. #3 Price - it is a good value and solid as a rock, I have not babied mine in the least. #4 if you want to add a monopod on the rear of the stock it is ready for that installation. #5 color options.

Good luck, hope you find what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2020, 07:48 AM

Most of my experience with Magpul buttstocks are their collapsible carbine models since around 2008, MOE, CTR, STR and SL. Well designed, high quality and durable.

I had tried my friends MOE and PRS fixed stocks and felt they were better than my standard A2 which I had been using in DCM/ CMP rifle matches.

Magpul have better sling mounts and the PRS have great adjustments for precision shooting, my friends had no problems and they like it.
Colt AR-15 carbine X4, Colt MT6601 with USGI M16A2 Colt upper half 20" rifle, RRA A4 9mm 16" carbine, Steyr AUG A1 16" carbine, IMI Galil AR 16" carbine, PolyTech AKS-762 X3, Chinese SKS and USGI DCM M1 Garand, Colt 1911 Gov't Model X3, Colt Officers Lightweight, HK USP full, Sig P220 .45, Sig P226 9mm & Glock 19
NRA Life Member since 1970 * AR-15 owner since 1971
Old 07-07-2020, 06:37 PM

The current fixed MOE works well. I replaced an A2 with one, and donít have any complaints at all.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:57 PM

The PRS is an excellent stock. So much so that my son appropriated it for his rifle and left me with his VLTOR EMOD, with is OK, but not in the same league. Since this particular rifle has been relegated to just multi-gun, match-use, I haven't cared enough to replace it. However, if I was ever inclined to go with another AR for precision work, it would be with the PRS. The Magpul adjustable stuff is OK too, but the PRS is solid and versatile.

I also have a rifle with an A2, with chunk of lead inside for weight, that I use on occasion, but the PRS has many more pluses in its favor.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:52 PM

I have a Magpul adjustable PRS II on my LR-308. Don't like it. Heavy. Can't get it 'adjusted' to be comfortable.

My M4-gery has a CTR.

I kept my full-size AR-15A2 with issue stocks for the occasional service rifle match. Doubt I'll be attending any more , but if I do , it's an EZ change.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 AM

A-1 (A-ONE) length is perfect.

It's almost a little shorter then the A2 stock, and perfect length (for me).
A1 = 9-7/8" long
A2 = 10-1/2"

The rifle is a Ruger AR-556. I did not modify the gas system.
Ruger uses a mid length gas system, but the Fixed stocks need a full length tube.
The solution was 3 inches of broom handle with a quarter on the spring end.
Later I found a cheap polymer spacer for it.

Eddie Likes!
Old 07-12-2020, 10:32 AM

Cav Arms A1 length is better than both, IMO.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:45 PM

With DPMS AR-15 kits going for $399 at CDNN, why not build another AR with the Magpul butstock. That way, you have both an AR-15 with the A-2 stock and the other with the Magpul.
For me, the A-2 stock even with the extension piece no longer sold is a wee bit too short.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:16 PM

Naw , 2 is fine. Even though I do have a few NOS Rock River and Stag stripped lowers squirreled away. Truth is I'm not really a fan of the AR anyway. My tastes are more wood and steel.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Naw , 2 is fine. Even though I do have a few NOS Rock River and Stag stripped lowers squirreled away. Truth is I'm not really a fan of the AR anyway. My tastes are more wood and steel.
Boyds makes wood and laminate stock sets for ARs, if you just absolutely hate plastic.